DVD recorder & DVD Shrink

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've been capturing excerpts from DVD's for quite some time now, but
I've run into a problem.

My normal procedure is to open the DVD with DVD Shrink, and edit down
the content to the excerpts I want to keep.

I recently received an inexpensive DVD recorder (the brand is "ILO"),
and it occurred to me that I could use the recorder to move stuff from
old VHS video tapes to DVD, then use DVD Shrink to edit them as usual.

Well, the move from videotape to DVD went surprisingly well. I ended
up with a disc that does play (complete with its own rather odd menu),
but it seems to be doing something to the files, because DVD Shrink
refuses to load them, as do some other programs. Shrink gives me the
message "Programming error - impossible state occurred. - reason
unknown".

Any idea why or how to get around this?

rs

Bob wrote:
> I've been capturing excerpts from DVD's for quite some time now, but
> I've run into a problem.
>
> My normal procedure is to open the DVD with DVD Shrink, and edit down
> the content to the excerpts I want to keep.
>
> I recently received an inexpensive DVD recorder (the brand is "ILO"),
> and it occurred to me that I could use the recorder to move stuff from
> old VHS video tapes to DVD, then use DVD Shrink to edit them as usual.
>
> Well, the move from videotape to DVD went surprisingly well. I ended
> up with a disc that does play (complete with its own rather odd menu),
> but it seems to be doing something to the files, because DVD Shrink
> refuses to load them, as do some other programs. Shrink gives me the
> message "Programming error - impossible state occurred. - reason
> unknown".
>
> Any idea why or how to get around this?

Not without knowing what your inexpensive recorder is doing. Does it
make DVD's that will play in other DVD players? If DVD shrink can't open
them, there seems to be some suggestion that they may not be stardard
DVD format.

"Bob" <Bob@example.net> wrote in message

> I've been capturing excerpts from DVD's for quite some time now, but
> I've run into a problem.
>
> My normal procedure is to open the DVD with DVD Shrink, and edit down
> the content to the excerpts I want to keep.
>
> I recently received an inexpensive DVD recorder (the brand is "ILO"),
> and it occurred to me that I could use the recorder to move stuff from
> old VHS video tapes to DVD, then use DVD Shrink to edit them as usual.
>
> Well, the move from videotape to DVD went surprisingly well. I ended
> up with a disc that does play (complete with its own rather odd menu),
> but it seems to be doing something to the files, because DVD Shrink
> refuses to load them, as do some other programs. Shrink gives me the
> message "Programming error - impossible state occurred. - reason
> unknown".
>
> Any idea why or how to get around this?

Not all programs can handle the VR formats of some Recorders.
I use TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA) to read mine, it has an "Add
DVD video" button and process that will allow you to extract the
MPEG data correctly. You can then continue to use TDA to make
a new DVD or leave TDA after it has made the .mpg files and use
those in another program.

Luck;
Ken

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:23:13 -0600, RS <mail@mail.com> wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>> I've been capturing excerpts from DVD's for quite some time now, but
>> I've run into a problem.
>>
>> My normal procedure is to open the DVD with DVD Shrink, and edit down
>> the content to the excerpts I want to keep.
>>
>> I recently received an inexpensive DVD recorder (the brand is "ILO"),
>> and it occurred to me that I could use the recorder to move stuff from
>> old VHS video tapes to DVD, then use DVD Shrink to edit them as usual.
>>
>> Well, the move from videotape to DVD went surprisingly well. I ended
>> up with a disc that does play (complete with its own rather odd menu),
>> but it seems to be doing something to the files, because DVD Shrink
>> refuses to load them, as do some other programs. Shrink gives me the
>> message "Programming error - impossible state occurred. - reason
>> unknown".
>>
>> Any idea why or how to get around this?
>>

>Not without knowing what your inexpensive recorder is doing. Does it
>make DVD's that will play in other DVD players? If DVD shrink can't open
>them, there seems to be some suggestion that they may not be stardard
>DVD format.

Yes, the DVDs the recorder makes will play in other DVD players. When
I check "My Computer", the new disc is named DVD_VR. When I open the
disc and look at the files, the one thing I notice that looks
different is that instead of a VIDEO_TS folder and an AUDIO_TS folder,
there is a VIDEO_TS folder and a (new to me) VIDEO_RM folder. Inside
the VIDEO_RM folder is a DAT filme named VIDEO_RM, a DVD Navigation
file named VIDEO_RM and a BUP file named VIDEO_RM.BUP.

In the reguar VIDEO_TS folder are what appear to be normal DVD files:
VIDEO_TS (navigation file), VIDEO_TS (VOB file), VIDEO_TS.BUP (BUP
file), VTS_1_0 (DVD navigation file), VTS_01_0.BUP (BUP file),
VTS_01_1 (VOB file), VTS_01_2 (VOB file), etc.

After DVD Shrink refused to open the disc, I tried moving the folders
to my hard drive, but DVD Shrink wouldn't open them there either...

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:23:13 -0600, RS <mail@mail.com> wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>> I've been capturing excerpts from DVD's for quite some time now, but
>> I've run into a problem.
>>
>> My normal procedure is to open the DVD with DVD Shrink, and edit down
>> the content to the excerpts I want to keep.
>>
>> I recently received an inexpensive DVD recorder (the brand is "ILO"),
>> and it occurred to me that I could use the recorder to move stuff from
>> old VHS video tapes to DVD, then use DVD Shrink to edit them as usual.
>>
>> Well, the move from videotape to DVD went surprisingly well. I ended
>> up with a disc that does play (complete with its own rather odd menu),
>> but it seems to be doing something to the files, because DVD Shrink
>> refuses to load them, as do some other programs. Shrink gives me the
>> message "Programming error - impossible state occurred. - reason
>> unknown".
>>
>> Any idea why or how to get around this?
>>

>Not without knowing what your inexpensive recorder is doing. Does it
>make DVD's that will play in other DVD players? If DVD shrink can't open
>them, there seems to be some suggestion that they may not be stardard
>DVD format.

Yes, the DVDs the recorder makes will play in other DVD players. When
I check "My Computer", the new disc is named DVD_VR. When I open the
disc and look at the files, the one thing I notice that looks
different is that instead of a VIDEO_TS folder and an AUDIO_TS folder,
there is a VIDEO_TS folder and a (new to me) VIDEO_RM folder. Inside
the VIDEO_RM folder is a DAT filme named VIDEO_RM, a DVD Navigation
file named VIDEO_RM and a BUP file named VIDEO_RM.BUP.

In the reguar VIDEO_TS folder are what appear to be normal DVD files:
VIDEO_TS (navigation file), VIDEO_TS (VOB file), VIDEO_TS.BUP (BUP
file), VTS_1_0 (DVD navigation file), VTS_01_0.BUP (BUP file),
VTS_01_1 (VOB file), VTS_01_2 (VOB file), etc.

After DVD Shrink refused to open the disc, I tried moving the folders
to my hard drive, but DVD Shrink wouldn't open them there either...

DVD recorders create a file called DVD-VR which is recognized for playback
on standard DVD players. DVD Shrink is looking for the normal set of files
found in the VIDO_TS folder, i.e. the VOB files. These do not exist on discs
recorded by stand-alone DVD recorders. You can edit these video files using
Ulead MediaStudio Pro and some other NLE packages. I believe Heuris makes a
good editor or editor plug-in for DVD-VR files.

--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:26:48 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Bob" <Bob@example.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I've been capturing excerpts from DVD's for quite some time now, but
>> I've run into a problem.
>>
>> My normal procedure is to open the DVD with DVD Shrink, and edit down
>> the content to the excerpts I want to keep.
>>
>> I recently received an inexpensive DVD recorder (the brand is "ILO"),
>> and it occurred to me that I could use the recorder to move stuff from
>> old VHS video tapes to DVD, then use DVD Shrink to edit them as usual.
>>
>> Well, the move from videotape to DVD went surprisingly well. I ended
>> up with a disc that does play (complete with its own rather odd menu),
>> but it seems to be doing something to the files, because DVD Shrink
>> refuses to load them, as do some other programs. Shrink gives me the
>> message "Programming error - impossible state occurred. - reason
>> unknown".
>>
>> Any idea why or how to get around this?
>>

> Not all programs can handle the VR formats of some Recorders.
>I use TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA) to read mine, it has an "Add
>DVD video" button and process that will allow you to extract the
>MPEG data correctly. You can then continue to use TDA to make
>a new DVD or leave TDA after it has made the .mpg files and use
>those in another program.

Thanks. That worked. Although I had to go out of the way a bit. TDA
let me load the DVD files from the recorders (which DVD Shrink
wouldn't load). And TDA then put out new files that DVD Shrink WOULD
load. I Rejiged the files into separate audio and video files, and
started to load them back into TDA to create the final menu and DVD.
That's when I ran into the problem. TDA refused to accept the audio
files, saying they were an illegal format. Never done that before. But
I managed to get around it by using TMPFEnc Plus to convert the audio
file into a different kind of audio MPEG, and finally, TDA accepted
those sound files and output a working DVD with both sound and
picture.

But I've never been able to get TDA to accept files straight out of
DVD Shrink without losing the sound. I've always had to use Rejig on
them first (and sometimes DVD Lab to rewrite the GOP timecode of the
video files). Am I doing something wrong here? Should TDA accept
edited files directly from DVD Shrink?

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:26:48 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>"Bob" <Bob@example.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I've been capturing excerpts from DVD's for quite some time now, but
>>> I've run into a problem.
>>>
>>> My normal procedure is to open the DVD with DVD Shrink, and edit down
>>> the content to the excerpts I want to keep.
>>>
>>> I recently received an inexpensive DVD recorder (the brand is "ILO"),
>>> and it occurred to me that I could use the recorder to move stuff from
>>> old VHS video tapes to DVD, then use DVD Shrink to edit them as usual.
>>>
>>> Well, the move from videotape to DVD went surprisingly well. I ended
>>> up with a disc that does play (complete with its own rather odd menu),
>>> but it seems to be doing something to the files, because DVD Shrink
>>> refuses to load them, as do some other programs. Shrink gives me the
>>> message "Programming error - impossible state occurred. - reason
>>> unknown".
>>>
>>> Any idea why or how to get around this?
>>>

>> Not all programs can handle the VR formats of some Recorders.
>>I use TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA) to read mine, it has an "Add
>>DVD video" button and process that will allow you to extract the
>>MPEG data correctly. You can then continue to use TDA to make
>>a new DVD or leave TDA after it has made the .mpg files and use
>>those in another program.
>

> Thanks. That worked. Although I had to go out of the way a bit. TDA
> let me load the DVD files from the recorders (which DVD Shrink
> wouldn't load). And TDA then put out new files that DVD Shrink WOULD
> load. I Rejiged the files into separate audio and video files, and
> started to load them back into TDA to create the final menu and DVD.
> That's when I ran into the problem. TDA refused to accept the audio
> files, saying they were an illegal format. Never done that before. But
> I managed to get around it by using TMPFEnc Plus to convert the audio
> file into a different kind of audio MPEG, and finally, TDA accepted
> those sound files and output a working DVD with both sound and
> picture.
>
> But I've never been able to get TDA to accept files straight out of
> DVD Shrink without losing the sound. I've always had to use Rejig on
> them first (and sometimes DVD Lab to rewrite the GOP timecode of the
> video files). Am I doing something wrong here? Should TDA accept
> edited files directly from DVD Shrink?

Yes, it always did for me. Why are you putting your video
files back into Shrink? Not sure what "Rejig" means. There
should be no need to demux the .mpg files.

I only very rarely use Shrink any more, but when I do it is to
shrink a TDA created DVD that was just a little too big to fit
on a single layer DVD+R. I just quickly author my too big
DVD files, ignoring TDA's warning that it is too big. Then
use shrink on the VIDEO_TS folder TDA made.

What happens if you just stay in TDA to make your final DVD?

How is the audio described in TDA when you are first extracting
it from the DVD-RW that you made on your Recorder?

There is one other tool that comes in handy when you are working
with MPEG and trying to be sure it conforms to DVD Specs.
VideoReDo www.VideoReDo.com will remux and rewrite all the
headers to stricter DVD compliance. But in this case you shouldn't
need it.

Luck;
Ken

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 00:40:47 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Bob" <Bob@example.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:26:48 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
>> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"Bob" <Bob@example.net> wrote in message

>>> Not all programs can handle the VR formats of some Recorders.
>>>I use TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA) to read mine, it has an "Add
>>>DVD video" button and process that will allow you to extract the
>>>MPEG data correctly. You can then continue to use TDA to make
>>>a new DVD or leave TDA after it has made the .mpg files and use
>>>those in another program.
>>

>> Thanks. That worked. Although I had to go out of the way a bit. TDA
>> let me load the DVD files from the recorders (which DVD Shrink
>> wouldn't load). And TDA then put out new files that DVD Shrink WOULD
>> load. I Rejiged the files into separate audio and video files, and
>> started to load them back into TDA to create the final menu and DVD.
>> That's when I ran into the problem. TDA refused to accept the audio
>> files, saying they were an illegal format. Never done that before. But
>> I managed to get around it by using TMPFEnc Plus to convert the audio
>> file into a different kind of audio MPEG, and finally, TDA accepted
>> those sound files and output a working DVD with both sound and
>> picture.
>>
>> But I've never been able to get TDA to accept files straight out of
>> DVD Shrink without losing the sound. I've always had to use Rejig on
>> them first (and sometimes DVD Lab to rewrite the GOP timecode of the
>> video files). Am I doing something wrong here? Should TDA accept
>> edited files directly from DVD Shrink?
>>

> Yes, it always did for me. Why are you putting your video
>files back into Shrink? Not sure what "Rejig" means. There
>should be no need to demux the .mpg files.

I mostly edit excerpts from DVD's, not the full movies. I used Shrink
to capture the parts I want and leave the rest. Once I do this, if I
try to load those edited files (from Shrink) into TDA, I usually (but
not always) lose the sound. Video is fine, but no audio. And
sometimes, it refuses to accept the edited files at all, saying they
are "illegal files". It's been ages since I last tried it, so I don't
remember all of the details, only that it usually doesn't work.
Instead, I've always had to use Rejig to demux the Shrink-edited files
into separate audio and video files, fix their GOP in DVD Lab, and
then finally load the files back into TDA to create the final menu.

Once in a while the "Add DVD" button will work and take the files
straight after Shrink edits them, but more often than not, it doesn't
work, and the audio is lost.

> I only very rarely use Shrink any more, but when I do it is to
>shrink a TDA created DVD that was just a little too big to fit
>on a single layer DVD+R. I just quickly author my too big
>DVD files, ignoring TDA's warning that it is too big. Then
>use shrink on the VIDEO_TS folder TDA made.

I haven't tried to use TDA to edit excerpts directly from DVD's. The
editing process seemed rather clumsy when I tried it long ago, and
DVD-Shrink seemed much more intuative for editing. Is that what you
do? And does it work well for you?

> There is one other tool that comes in handy when you are working
>with MPEG and trying to be sure it conforms to DVD Specs.
>VideoReDo www.VideoReDo.com will remux and rewrite all the
>headers to stricter DVD compliance. But in this case you shouldn't
>need it.

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> [...]

work, and the audio is lost.

> I only very rarely use Shrink any more, but when I do it is to
>shrink a TDA created DVD that was just a little too big to fit
>on a single layer DVD+R. I just quickly author my too big
>DVD files, ignoring TDA's warning that it is too big. Then
>use shrink on the VIDEO_TS folder TDA made.

I haven't tried to use TDA to edit excerpts directly from DVD's. The
editing process seemed rather clumsy when I tried it long ago, and
DVD-Shrink seemed much more intuative for editing. Is that what you
do? And does it work well for you?

> There is one other tool that comes in handy when you are working
>with MPEG and trying to be sure it conforms to DVD Specs.
>VideoReDo www.VideoReDo.com will remux and rewrite all the
>headers to stricter DVD compliance. But in this case you shouldn't

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

> I mostly edit excerpts from DVD's, not the full movies. I used Shrink
> to capture the parts I want and leave the rest. Once I do this, if I
> try to load those edited files (from Shrink) into TDA, I usually (but
> not always) lose the sound. Video is fine, but no audio. And
> sometimes, it refuses to accept the edited files at all, saying they
> are "illegal files". It's been ages since I last tried it, so I don't
> remember all of the details, only that it usually doesn't work.
> Instead, I've always had to use Rejig to demux the Shrink-edited files
> into separate audio and video files, fix their GOP in DVD Lab, and
> then finally load the files back into TDA to create the final menu.
>
> Once in a while the "Add DVD" button will work and take the files
> straight after Shrink edits them, but more often than not, it doesn't
> work, and the audio is lost.

> I haven't tried to use TDA to edit excerpts directly from DVD's. The
> editing process seemed rather clumsy when I tried it long ago, and
> DVD-Shrink seemed much more intuative for editing. Is that what you
> do? And does it work well for you?
>

>> There is one other tool that comes in handy when you are working
>>with MPEG and trying to be sure it conforms to DVD Specs.
>>VideoReDo www.VideoReDo.com will remux and rewrite all the
>>headers to stricter DVD compliance. But in this case you shouldn't
>>need it.
>
> Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Try this instead:

1. Use TDA to extract the MPEG data. Unless you haven't
the space on your HD, do that for all the DVDs you are
extracting clips from.

2. Use VideoReDo to cut out the parts you want, from the
..mpg files in TDA's Destination folder, save them in a "Build"
folder.

3. Use TDA to make your new DVD from the files in your
"Build" folder.

Luck;
Ken

P.S. Do you know that you are posting twice, using
different names?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:48:09 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> I mostly edit excerpts from DVD's, not the full movies. I used Shrink
>> to capture the parts I want and leave the rest. Once I do this, if I
>> try to load those edited files (from Shrink) into TDA, I usually (but
>> not always) lose the sound. Video is fine, but no audio. And
>> sometimes, it refuses to accept the edited files at all, saying they
>> are "illegal files". It's been ages since I last tried it, so I don't
>> remember all of the details, only that it usually doesn't work.
>> Instead, I've always had to use Rejig to demux the Shrink-edited files
>> into separate audio and video files, fix their GOP in DVD Lab, and
>> then finally load the files back into TDA to create the final menu.
>>
>> Once in a while the "Add DVD" button will work and take the files
>> straight after Shrink edits them, but more often than not, it doesn't
>> work, and the audio is lost.
>

>> I haven't tried to use TDA to edit excerpts directly from DVD's. The
>> editing process seemed rather clumsy when I tried it long ago, and
>> DVD-Shrink seemed much more intuative for editing. Is that what you
>> do? And does it work well for you?
>>

>>> There is one other tool that comes in handy when you are working
>>>with MPEG and trying to be sure it conforms to DVD Specs.
>>>VideoReDo www.VideoReDo.com will remux and rewrite all the
>>>headers to stricter DVD compliance. But in this case you shouldn't
>>>need it.
>>
>> Thanks. I'll take a look at it.
>>

> Try this instead:
>
> 1. Use TDA to extract the MPEG data. Unless you haven't
>the space on your HD, do that for all the DVDs you are
>extracting clips from.

I just gave that a try, and immediately ran into a problem. I tried
two commercial DVD's just for testing sake (one was "Spider-Man"). And
with both discs, TDA popped up a window that asked me to choose which
file I wanted (rather than load all files automatically), but worse,
the "list" of files it offered was blank! Nothing to choose from.
There wasn't anywhere to go from there...

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:48:09 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> I mostly edit excerpts from DVD's, not the full movies. I used Shrink
>>> to capture the parts I want and leave the rest. Once I do this, if I
>>> try to load those edited files (from Shrink) into TDA, I usually (but
>>> not always) lose the sound. Video is fine, but no audio. And
>>> sometimes, it refuses to accept the edited files at all, saying they
>>> are "illegal files". It's been ages since I last tried it, so I don't
>>> remember all of the details, only that it usually doesn't work.
>>> Instead, I've always had to use Rejig to demux the Shrink-edited files
>>> into separate audio and video files, fix their GOP in DVD Lab, and
>>> then finally load the files back into TDA to create the final menu.
>>>
>>> Once in a while the "Add DVD" button will work and take the files
>>> straight after Shrink edits them, but more often than not, it doesn't
>>> work, and the audio is lost.
>>

>>> I haven't tried to use TDA to edit excerpts directly from DVD's. The
>>> editing process seemed rather clumsy when I tried it long ago, and
>>> DVD-Shrink seemed much more intuative for editing. Is that what you
>>> do? And does it work well for you?

>>> Thanks. I'll take a look at it.
>>>

>> Try this instead:
>>
>> 1. Use TDA to extract the MPEG data. Unless you haven't
>>the space on your HD, do that for all the DVDs you are
>>extracting clips from.
>
> I just gave that a try, and immediately ran into a problem. I tried
> two commercial DVD's just for testing sake (one was "Spider-Man"). And
> with both discs, TDA popped up a window that asked me to choose which
> file I wanted (rather than load all files automatically), but worse,
> the "list" of files it offered was blank! Nothing to choose from.
> There wasn't anywhere to go from there...

Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed that you were dealing with
unencrypted DVDs. The few times I've gotten material off a
commercial DVD I've used DVDShrink to extract to a
VIDEO_TS folder on my HD and TDA had no problem using
that folder as if it were a DVD. Perhaps what you need to do
is use DVDShrink to extract the whole main movie and or the
whole feature that has what you want, not just the parts.

All though I've never used one, a background decrypter might
also work. TDA can't use encrypted files.

Luck;
Ken

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:43:10 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Bob" <Bob@example.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:48:09 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
>> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> Try this instead:
>>>
>>> 1. Use TDA to extract the MPEG data. Unless you haven't
>>>the space on your HD, do that for all the DVDs you are
>>>extracting clips from.
>>
>> I just gave that a try, and immediately ran into a problem. I tried
>> two commercial DVD's just for testing sake (one was "Spider-Man"). And
>> with both discs, TDA popped up a window that asked me to choose which
>> file I wanted (rather than load all files automatically), but worse,
>> the "list" of files it offered was blank! Nothing to choose from.
>> There wasn't anywhere to go from there...
>>

> Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed that you were dealing with
>unencrypted DVDs. The few times I've gotten material off a
>commercial DVD I've used DVDShrink to extract to a
>VIDEO_TS folder on my HD and TDA had no problem using
>that folder as if it were a DVD. Perhaps what you need to do
>is use DVDShrink to extract the whole main movie and or the
>whole feature that has what you want, not just the parts.

I could do that, of course, but I'm only after excerpts. And Shrink
extracts the excerpts perfectly. The only problem is that most of the
time they lose audio when I load those extracted files into TDA. Hence
the resort to Rejig...

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:43:10 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>"Bob" <Bob@example.net> wrote in message

>>> I just gave that a try, and immediately ran into a problem. I tried
>>> two commercial DVD's just for testing sake (one was "Spider-Man"). And
>>> with both discs, TDA popped up a window that asked me to choose which
>>> file I wanted (rather than load all files automatically), but worse,
>>> the "list" of files it offered was blank! Nothing to choose from.
>>> There wasn't anywhere to go from there...
>>>

>> Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed that you were dealing with
>>unencrypted DVDs. The few times I've gotten material off a
>>commercial DVD I've used DVDShrink to extract to a
>>VIDEO_TS folder on my HD and TDA had no problem using
>>that folder as if it were a DVD. Perhaps what you need to do
>>is use DVDShrink to extract the whole main movie and or the
>>whole feature that has what you want, not just the parts.
>
> I could do that, of course, but I'm only after excerpts. And Shrink
> extracts the excerpts perfectly. The only problem is that most of the
> time they lose audio when I load those extracted files into TDA. Hence
> the resort to Rejig...

Well you could try using VideoReDo on the files that you are
extracting with DVDShrink, even if you don't want to use the
frame accurate editor functions, it will do what both your "Rejig"
and DVD Lab are doing for you. You can run them through the
"Quickfix" tool. The point here being that for some reason the
smaller parts you are extracting aren't being accepted by TDA,
while the full DVDs usually are. The output of VideoReDo is
fully DVD compliant, and TDA will accept it.

Luck;
Ken