Remote Desktop Connection Fails

March 22, 2005 11:10:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I have my home computer configured to allow Remote Desktop connections. I'm
using the Windows Firewall and I've confirmed that Remote Desktop is allowed
in Windows Firewall and I've even gone so far as to go into the advanced
settings for the local area connection and specifically allow the Remote
Desktop service yet every time I try to connect to my home PC using a Remote
Desktop connection the connection attempt fails. I've also confirmed with
my ISP that port 3389 is not blocked in any way. Does anyone know why this
isn't working and what I need to do to get it working?
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:27:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

If RDP is enabled on your computer the command netstat -an will show that port
3389 TCP is listening. If it is try connecting to your computer by entering the
IP address of your public IP in the RDP connection box that your ISP issues to
you to make the connection. You can go to the site below to find your current
public IP address and also to scan your computer which should show port 3389
open if your computer and firewall is configured to allow RDP access. --- Steve

"Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
> I have my home computer configured to allow Remote Desktop connections. I'm
> using the Windows Firewall and I've confirmed that Remote Desktop is allowed
> in Windows Firewall and I've even gone so far as to go into the advanced
> settings for the local area connection and specifically allow the Remote
> Desktop service yet every time I try to connect to my home PC using a Remote
> Desktop connection the connection attempt fails. I've also confirmed with
> my ISP that port 3389 is not blocked in any way. Does anyone know why this
> isn't working and what I need to do to get it working?

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:27:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Netstat -an reported "TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0
LISTENING" for port 3389. I have tried establishing an RDP connection using
my ISP's issued public IP address and it always fails. You didn't provide
the site link to check my IP address or ports, so I went to ShieldsUp and
confirmed that I do have the right public IP address, however, ShieldsUp
reported that port 3389 was in stealth mode meaning I believe that it's
inaccessible. If I read the information correctly from Netstat -an it
appears that port 3389 is only available internally which of course would
explain why I can't connect and why ShieldsUp reports it as being in stealth
mode. Is this correct? If it is correct, how do I get port 3389 available
over the Internet?

"Steven Umbach" <n9rou@n0spam-comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o J%23pSB2LFHA.1884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
If RDP is enabled on your computer the command netstat -an will show that
port
3389 TCP is listening. If it is try connecting to your computer by entering
the
IP address of your public IP in the RDP connection box that your ISP issues
you to make the connection. You can go to the site below to find your
current
public IP address and also to scan your computer which should show port 3389
open if your computer and firewall is configured to allow RDP access. ---
Steve

"Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
> I have my home computer configured to allow Remote Desktop connections.
> I'm
> using the Windows Firewall and I've confirmed that Remote Desktop is
> allowed
> in Windows Firewall and I've even gone so far as to go into the advanced
> settings for the local area connection and specifically allow the Remote
> Desktop service yet every time I try to connect to my home PC using a
> Remote
> Desktop connection the connection attempt fails. I've also confirmed with
> my ISP that port 3389 is not blocked in any way. Does anyone know why
> this
> isn't working and what I need to do to get it working?

March 23, 2005 7:45:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

This page has troubleshooting help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> Netstat -an reported "TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0
> LISTENING" for port 3389. I have tried establishing an RDP connection using
> my ISP's issued public IP address and it always fails. You didn't provide
> the site link to check my IP address or ports, so I went to ShieldsUp and
> confirmed that I do have the right public IP address, however, ShieldsUp
> reported that port 3389 was in stealth mode meaning I believe that it's
> inaccessible. If I read the information correctly from Netstat -an it
> appears that port 3389 is only available internally which of course would
> explain why I can't connect and why ShieldsUp reports it as being in stealth
> mode. Is this correct? If it is correct, how do I get port 3389 available
> over the Internet?
>

> "Steven Umbach" <n9rou@n0spam-comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:o J%23pSB2LFHA.1884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> If RDP is enabled on your computer the command netstat -an will show that
> port
> 3389 TCP is listening. If it is try connecting to your computer by entering
> the
> IP address of your public IP in the RDP connection box that your ISP issues
> you to make the connection. You can go to the site below to find your
> current
> public IP address and also to scan your computer which should show port 3389
> open if your computer and firewall is configured to allow RDP access. ---
> Steve
>

> "Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I have my home computer configured to allow Remote Desktop connections.
>> I'm
>> using the Windows Firewall and I've confirmed that Remote Desktop is
>> allowed
>> in Windows Firewall and I've even gone so far as to go into the advanced
>> settings for the local area connection and specifically allow the Remote
>> Desktop service yet every time I try to connect to my home PC using a
>> Remote
>> Desktop connection the connection attempt fails. I've also confirmed with
>> my ISP that port 3389 is not blocked in any way. Does anyone know why
>> this
>> isn't working and what I need to do to get it working?

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 1:41:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Sorry I forgot the link but you did well on your own. If it was reported
that your port 3389 TCP is blocked then you need to make sure your firewall
is allowing inbound traffic to port 3389 TCP. For a typical cable/dsl NAT
router you also need to "port forward" port 3389 TCP to your computer to be
able to accept RDP connections. --- Steve

"Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
> Netstat -an reported "TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0
> LISTENING" for port 3389. I have tried establishing an RDP connection
> using
> my ISP's issued public IP address and it always fails. You didn't provide
> the site link to check my IP address or ports, so I went to ShieldsUp and
> confirmed that I do have the right public IP address, however, ShieldsUp
> reported that port 3389 was in stealth mode meaning I believe that it's
> inaccessible. If I read the information correctly from Netstat -an it
> appears that port 3389 is only available internally which of course would
> explain why I can't connect and why ShieldsUp reports it as being in
> stealth
> mode. Is this correct? If it is correct, how do I get port 3389
> available
> over the Internet?
>

> "Steven Umbach" <n9rou@n0spam-comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:o J%23pSB2LFHA.1884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> If RDP is enabled on your computer the command netstat -an will show that
> port
> 3389 TCP is listening. If it is try connecting to your computer by
> entering
> the
> IP address of your public IP in the RDP connection box that your ISP
> issues
> you to make the connection. You can go to the site below to find your
> current
> public IP address and also to scan your computer which should show port
> 3389
> open if your computer and firewall is configured to allow RDP access. ---
> Steve
>

> "Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I have my home computer configured to allow Remote Desktop connections.
>> I'm
>> using the Windows Firewall and I've confirmed that Remote Desktop is
>> allowed
>> in Windows Firewall and I've even gone so far as to go into the advanced
>> settings for the local area connection and specifically allow the Remote
>> Desktop service yet every time I try to connect to my home PC using a
>> Remote
>> Desktop connection the connection attempt fails. I've also confirmed
>> with
>> my ISP that port 3389 is not blocked in any way. Does anyone know why
>> this
>> isn't working and what I need to do to get it working?

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 11:57:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I had actually found that link myself and went through everything listed to
no avail.

news:o n8y9V5LFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
This page has troubleshooting help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
> Netstat -an reported "TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0
> LISTENING" for port 3389. I have tried establishing an RDP connection
> using
> my ISP's issued public IP address and it always fails. You didn't provide
> the site link to check my IP address or ports, so I went to ShieldsUp and
> confirmed that I do have the right public IP address, however, ShieldsUp
> reported that port 3389 was in stealth mode meaning I believe that it's
> inaccessible. If I read the information correctly from Netstat -an it
> appears that port 3389 is only available internally which of course would
> explain why I can't connect and why ShieldsUp reports it as being in
> stealth
> mode. Is this correct? If it is correct, how do I get port 3389
> available
> over the Internet?
>

> "Steven Umbach" <n9rou@n0spam-comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:o J%23pSB2LFHA.1884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> If RDP is enabled on your computer the command netstat -an will show that
> port
> 3389 TCP is listening. If it is try connecting to your computer by
> entering
> the
> IP address of your public IP in the RDP connection box that your ISP
> issues
> you to make the connection. You can go to the site below to find your
> current
> public IP address and also to scan your computer which should show port
> 3389
> open if your computer and firewall is configured to allow RDP access. ---
> Steve
>

> "Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I have my home computer configured to allow Remote Desktop connections.
>> I'm
>> using the Windows Firewall and I've confirmed that Remote Desktop is
>> allowed
>> in Windows Firewall and I've even gone so far as to go into the advanced
>> settings for the local area connection and specifically allow the Remote
>> Desktop service yet every time I try to connect to my home PC using a
>> Remote
>> Desktop connection the connection attempt fails. I've also confirmed
>> with
>> my ISP that port 3389 is not blocked in any way. Does anyone know why
>> this
>> isn't working and what I need to do to get it working?

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 12:00:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

At the moment I am using just the built in Windows Firewall and it has been
configured to allow Remote Desktop/port 3389. Perhaps I should have
mentioned early on that I am running SP2. And, I've noticed many posts in
these newsgroups from people that are running SP2 who are unable to get
Remote Desktop running. I fear I'm having the same problem as a result of
SP2. Any other thoughts?

Sorry I forgot the link but you did well on your own. If it was reported
that your port 3389 TCP is blocked then you need to make sure your firewall
is allowing inbound traffic to port 3389 TCP. For a typical cable/dsl NAT
router you also need to "port forward" port 3389 TCP to your computer to be
able to accept RDP connections. --- Steve

"Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
> Netstat -an reported "TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0
> LISTENING" for port 3389. I have tried establishing an RDP connection
> using
> my ISP's issued public IP address and it always fails. You didn't provide
> the site link to check my IP address or ports, so I went to ShieldsUp and
> confirmed that I do have the right public IP address, however, ShieldsUp
> reported that port 3389 was in stealth mode meaning I believe that it's
> inaccessible. If I read the information correctly from Netstat -an it
> appears that port 3389 is only available internally which of course would
> explain why I can't connect and why ShieldsUp reports it as being in
> stealth
> mode. Is this correct? If it is correct, how do I get port 3389
> available
> over the Internet?
>

> "Steven Umbach" <n9rou@n0spam-comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:o J%23pSB2LFHA.1884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> If RDP is enabled on your computer the command netstat -an will show that
> port
> 3389 TCP is listening. If it is try connecting to your computer by
> entering
> the
> IP address of your public IP in the RDP connection box that your ISP
> issues
> you to make the connection. You can go to the site below to find your
> current
> public IP address and also to scan your computer which should show port
> 3389
> open if your computer and firewall is configured to allow RDP access. ---
> Steve
>

> "Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I have my home computer configured to allow Remote Desktop connections.
>> I'm
>> using the Windows Firewall and I've confirmed that Remote Desktop is
>> allowed
>> in Windows Firewall and I've even gone so far as to go into the advanced
>> settings for the local area connection and specifically allow the Remote
>> Desktop service yet every time I try to connect to my home PC using a
>> Remote
>> Desktop connection the connection attempt fails. I've also confirmed
>> with
>> my ISP that port 3389 is not blocked in any way. Does anyone know why
>> this
>> isn't working and what I need to do to get it working?

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 9:46:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

If your running NAV 2005 on the PC that may be the problem. Some folks report the NAV 2005 antiworm
protection blocks Remote Desktop connections. Disabling the worm protection solves the issue...

--

> [...]
>> Steve
>>

>> "Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> I have my home computer configured to allow Remote Desktop connections.
>>> I'm
>>> using the Windows Firewall and I've confirmed that Remote Desktop is
>>> allowed
>>> in Windows Firewall and I've even gone so far as to go into the advanced
>>> settings for the local area connection and specifically allow the Remote
>>> Desktop service yet every time I try to connect to my home PC using a
>>> Remote
>>> Desktop connection the connection attempt fails. I've also confirmed
>>> with
>>> my ISP that port 3389 is not blocked in any way. Does anyone know why
>>> this
>>> isn't working and what I need to do to get it working?

March 28, 2005 10:14:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Not running NAV 2005.

> [...]

>> ccess. ---
>> Steve
>>

>> "Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> I have my home computer configured to allow Remote Desktop connections.
>>> I'm
>>> using the Windows Firewall and I've confirmed that Remote Desktop is
>>> allowed
>>> in Windows Firewall and I've even gone so far as to go into the advanced
>>> settings for the local area connection and specifically allow the Remote
>>> Desktop service yet every time I try to connect to my home PC using a
>>> Remote
>>> Desktop connection the connection attempt fails. I've also confirmed
>>> with
>>> my ISP that port 3389 is not blocked in any way. Does anyone know why
>>> this
>>> isn't working and what I need to do to get it working?

March 30, 2005 4:01:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I have no problem using RDP to an XP SP2 computer. What you should try is to
disable the firewall to see if access is allowed then. However I would not
suggest that if you do not have another firewall such as a NAT router
protecting your computer/network. The best thing to try is possible is to
try to connect to RDP from another computer on the local network that has
proper connectivity to your XP Pro computer while it has the firewall
disabled. That way you can determine for sure if the problem is the Windows
firewall, internet connection, or other problem and proceed from there. You
should also go to System Properties/Remote to make sure that RDP is enabled
and that the necessary users are listed as having access. By default local
administrators will have access. Also check Local Security Policy
[secpol.msc] and go to security settings/local policies/user rights and make
sure that administrators and Remote Desktop Users are included in the user
right for "allow access through Terminal Services" and that there are no
entries in "deny access through Terminal Services". If your computer is a
member of an Active Directory domain, then there may be policy applied at
the domain level to prevent access. --- Steve

!