Offer Remote Assistance Error on laptops

I have a number of Dell Latitude D600 laptops running Windows XP Pro with
both SP1 and SP2. I am unable to Offer Remote Assistance to any of the
laptops, I receive the error "Remote server machine does not exist or is
unavailable" as soon as I try to connect - there is no problem offering
remote assistance to desktops!

I have a group policy set up to enable Remote Assistance and the following
exceptions for SP2 firewall blocks:
%systemroot%\system32\sessmgr.exe
%systemroot%\pchealth\helptctr\binaries\helpsvc.exe
Port - TCP 135
Remote Desktop - port 3389

I have searched Microsoft and other forums - is there something else that I
am missing?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2nd posting - Sorry
1 answer Last reply
More about offer remote assistance error laptops

    You might want to check your group policy settings for firewall program
    exceptions. The following are supposed to work (according to the help
    information):

    %windir%\system32\sessmgr.exe
    %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\helpsvc.exe
    %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\helpctr.exe

    I'm however, getting the same error when trying to connect to both desktops
    and laptops on my LAN, even with the above-mentioned settings!

    The event log also reports the following error:

    DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer (computername) using
    any of the configured protocols.

    A search on the MS Support site turned up nothing to help resolve the
    problem, apart from a suggestion to check a certain registry setting, which
    turned out to be set correctly on the PCs in question.

    Interestingly enough, if a user firsts requests assistance, then Remote
    Assistance works. The problem happens when an administrator tries to offer
    Remote Assistance, instead of accepting an invitation from the user.

    Regards,
    Brian

    "Jodie" <Jodie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a number of Dell Latitude D600 laptops running Windows XP Pro with
    > both SP1 and SP2. I am unable to Offer Remote Assistance to any of the
    > laptops, I receive the error "Remote server machine does not exist or is
    > unavailable" as soon as I try to connect - there is no problem offering
    > remote assistance to desktops!
    >
    > I have a group policy set up to enable Remote Assistance and the following
    > exceptions for SP2 firewall blocks:
    > %systemroot%\system32\sessmgr.exe
    > %systemroot%\pchealth\helptctr\binaries\helpsvc.exe
    > Port - TCP 135
    > Remote Desktop - port 3389
    >
    > I have searched Microsoft and other forums - is there something else that
    > am missing?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help!
    >
    > 2nd posting - Sorry

Laptops Microsoft Windows XP