Can't VPN to work over an MN-700 wireless network.

My configuration:
- MN-700 g-base station (configured as router/access point)
- Verizon DSL (Dynamic IP) with a Westell DSL-modem
- An XP/SP2 PC with a MN-720 g-wireless card)
- A Win 2000 Pro laptop, ethernet-connected to the base station

My network works fine, except when it comes to VPN to work (Cisco-VPN) from
my ethernet-connected laptop - my work network rejects the connection. My IT
folks tell me it's because their network does not see an IP address in the
incoming connection, and suggest to subscribe to a static IP from Verizon.
(Note that I have no trouble when I VPN from hotels, or if I connect my
laptop directly to my DSL modem).

My question is: Before I go out and pay Verizon for a static IP, is there
something in my MN-700 settings that I can change to solve my problem?

Thanks -Nathan
1 answer Last reply
More about work wireless network

    Hi Nathan,

    You might want to switch your MN-700 from router mode to access point
    mode. There is also an update for the firmware for the MN-700's which you
    can download from this web page (you want the MSBNDownload.exe):
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx

    Thanks,
    Chris Gual [MSFT]

    "Nathan_Ast" <NathanAst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My configuration:
    > - MN-700 g-base station (configured as router/access point)
    > - Verizon DSL (Dynamic IP) with a Westell DSL-modem
    > - An XP/SP2 PC with a MN-720 g-wireless card)
    > - A Win 2000 Pro laptop, ethernet-connected to the base station
    >
    > My network works fine, except when it comes to VPN to work (Cisco-VPN)
    > from
    > my ethernet-connected laptop - my work network rejects the connection. My
    > IT
    > folks tell me it's because their network does not see an IP address in the
    > incoming connection, and suggest to subscribe to a static IP from Verizon.
    > (Note that I have no trouble when I VPN from hotels, or if I connect my
    > laptop directly to my DSL modem).
    >
    > My question is: Before I go out and pay Verizon for a static IP, is there
    > something in my MN-700 settings that I can change to solve my problem?
    >
    > Thanks -Nathan

Wireless Network vpn Wireless Networking