RD behind router

I was browsing through some of the older post threads, but with 52 pages,
while what I'm looking for very well might be there, It'd be like finding the
proverbial needle in a haystack.

My question is thus:

I have a D-Link DI-604 Router hooked up to a Cable internet connection; On
LAN I can access my Win XP Pro box, but I am unable to do so elsewhere.

Is there a step-by-step procedural guide on how to correctly set up my
scenario so I can access my computer via Remote Desktop--and is it possible
to do so without using a VPN connection?

Thank you much

See this page for help...

....and this page...

http://www.portforward.com/dlink/di-604.htm