  • Computers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
March 24, 2005 11:35:02 PM

i had earlier configured my computer(host) for remote desktop , it was
working fine i could access it from my office and home network just fine .
the host computer was connected to the internet thru dial-up ....

now i have got a cable internet connection on my host computer and i tried
remotely connecting with the new ip , but it refuses to connect
here is the error:

The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections
might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new
connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your
connection. Please try your connection again later. If the problem continues
to occur, contact your administrator

help needed on this

thanks

More about : access host anymore

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:39:43 AM

milan wrote:
> i had earlier configured my computer(host) for remote desktop , it was
> working fine i could access it from my office and home network just
> fine . the host computer was connected to the internet thru dial-up
>
> now i have got a cable internet connection on my host computer and i
> tried remotely connecting with the new ip , but it refuses to connect
> here is the error:
>
> The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote
> connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to
> accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are
> preventing your connection. Please try your connection again later.
> If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator

Is it connected directly to the Cable Modem - or, like most people, do you
have a Cable/DSL router between your pc and the Internet? Have you
configured the router to forward the correct port, if so?

Have you checked your Windows Firewall settings?

Are you sure your ISP (this would actually be an unusual port for most
ISPs..) does not block the port needed?

Try this page for some troubleshooting/setup tips:
http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

--
<- Shenan ->
March 25, 2005 2:55:01 AM

hi shenan , thanks for the quick reply , like alwayz your replies are really
quick

well , i couldnt really figure out with the link u gave , but i did find out
one thing

the host computer connects to the internet with cable internet modem ( isp-
hathway internet )

well i can connect to the host only with the same isp , for eg : if i use
dialup or broadband it doesnt connect

please suggest what do i do to solve this problem and connect from any
computer with any ISP

thanks

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> milan wrote:
> > i had earlier configured my computer(host) for remote desktop , it was
> > working fine i could access it from my office and home network just
> > fine . the host computer was connected to the internet thru dial-up
> >
> > now i have got a cable internet connection on my host computer and i
> > tried remotely connecting with the new ip , but it refuses to connect
> > here is the error:
> >
> > The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote
> > connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to
> > accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are
> > preventing your connection. Please try your connection again later.
> > If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator
>
> Is it connected directly to the Cable Modem - or, like most people, do you
> have a Cable/DSL router between your pc and the Internet? Have you
> configured the router to forward the correct port, if so?
>
> Have you checked your Windows Firewall settings?
>
> Are you sure your ISP (this would actually be an unusual port for most
> ISPs..) does not block the port needed?
>
> Try this page for some troubleshooting/setup tips:
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

March 26, 2005 9:47:48 PM

milan wrote:
> the host computer connects to the internet with cable internet modem
> ( isp- hathway internet )
>
> well i can connect to the host only with the same isp , for eg : if i
> use dialup or broadband it doesnt connect

Hmmm.

Okay - if I had to guess, I would say they had the ports blocked for outside
systems (outside their network) - but that would have to be confirmed with
them and would be an unusual practice in my experience. Unusual, but
possible.

When you say "same ISP", you mean someone else using that ISP - not just
another computer on their network, eh?

--
<- Shenan ->
March 27, 2005 9:17:01 AM

hi shenan

first i will tell u how i am trying to connect

scenario 1#

1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
modem(motorola-surfboard)
i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls on the
host comp in my knowlegde

2.client comp stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable modem
(motorola-surfboard) same isp as host comp

remote desktop connection successful

scenario 2#

1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
modem(motorola-surfboard)
i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls on the
host comp in my knowlegde

2.client comp stand-alone connected to the internet dialup

remote desktop connection unsuccessful

scenario 3#

1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
modem(motorola-surfboard)
i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls on the
host comp in my knowlegde

2.client comp in network connected to the internet using wireless broaband

remote desktop connection unsuccessful

MY POINT IS THAT

-REMOTE CONNECTION IS SUCESSFUL ONLY IF I USE THE SAME ISP AT BOTH ENDS (
HOST AND CLEINTS )

WHAT I WANNA DO IS

REMOTELY CONNECTION WITH ANY ISP (DIALUP, WIRELESS BROADBAND , CABLE )

PLEASE HELP ME OUT
"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> milan wrote:
> > the host computer connects to the internet with cable internet modem
> > ( isp- hathway internet )
> >
> > well i can connect to the host only with the same isp , for eg : if i
> > use dialup or broadband it doesnt connect
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Okay - if I had to guess, I would say they had the ports blocked for outside
> systems (outside their network) - but that would have to be confirmed with
> them and would be an unusual practice in my experience. Unusual, but
> possible.
>
> When you say "same ISP", you mean someone else using that ISP - not just
> another computer on their network, eh?
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

March 27, 2005 4:52:05 PM

Questions/Comments inline:

milan wrote:
> scenario 1#
> 1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
> modem(motorola-surfboard)
> i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls
> on the host comp in my knowlegde
>
> 2.client comp stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable modem
> (motorola-surfboard) same isp as host comp
>
> remote desktop connection successful

Again - I have to ask if the two computers are connected not only to the
same ISP, but the same modem/network or are these two systems miles apart on
separate cable/dsl modems - but using the same ISP?

Also, the ISP wouldn't "install a firewall" - as they have their own and
control the ports you can/cannot use in the end.
By default, Windows XP SP2's firewall *is* enabled.

> scenario 2#
>
> 1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
> modem(motorola-surfboard)
> i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls
> on the host comp in my knowlegde
>
> 2.client comp stand-alone connected to the internet dialup
>
> remote desktop connection unsuccessful

Can you PING the host computer?
Are you trying by IP or by host name? You should try by IP Address.
By default, Windows XP SP2's firewall *is* enabled.
Can you go reverse - remote control the one using dialup from the one using
the motorola surfboard modem?

> scenario 3#
> 1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
> modem(motorola-surfboard)
> i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls
> on the host comp in my knowlegde
>
> 2.client comp in network connected to the internet using wireless
> broaband
>
> remote desktop connection unsuccessful

Can you PING the host computer?
Are you trying by IP or by host name? You should try by IP Address.
By default, Windows XP SP2's firewall *is* enabled.
Can you go reverse - remote control the one using wireless broadband from
the one using the motorola surfboard modem?

> MY POINT IS THAT
>
> -REMOTE CONNECTION IS SUCESSFUL ONLY IF I USE THE SAME ISP AT BOTH
> ENDS ( HOST AND CLEINTS )

All Caps is not necessary. Please - refrain from screaming in the future as
it is (if nothing else) difficult to read. This is why you do not see
publications (newspapers, books, etc) in all caps. Again - if your ISP
blocks trhe port (3389) then you will not be able to do this. They can
easily block the ports for all machines not within their domain/range. Call
and ask if Port 3389 is blocked for outside traffic.

> WHAT I WANNA DO IS
> REMOTELY CONNECTION WITH ANY ISP (DIALUP, WIRELESS BROADBAND , CABLE )

Yes - we know what you want to do, but what is allowed by the ISP and what
you want to do may differ greatly. You may be able to change the listening
port (if they are blocking 3389 to outside traffic) for remote desktop - but
that needs to be determined - matter of fact - all ports they block need to
be determined. Who is the ISP?

--
<- Shenan ->