Recording sound volume low

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I have 865PE/G Neo2 series mobo and the microphone is connected to the mic jack.
I've set the recording volume for microphone all the way up in:
Volume Control->Options->Properties->Recording->OK
The mixer device is on-board Realtek AC97.

This is the usual steps for question like mine. Unfortunately with this mobo the
recording volume is too low.

Is there anything else I can do? I had the same mic (el cheapo computer mic) on a
couple of other systems and above settings helped getting the recording volume
up.

What can I try next. Other sounds work just fine.

Couple of options: there's a "use alternative mic" and a "microphone boost"
control in the Audio Properties Control Panel in WinXP. That's fixed similar
problems for me in the past...

C.

"C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote:

>Couple of options: there's a "use alternative mic" and a "microphone boost"
>control in the Audio Properties Control Panel in WinXP. That's fixed similar
>problems for me in the past...

There is Microphone boost, but quality is abysmal. I probably have to use an
amplifier for this PC (Win2000).

>C.
>

>"123" <bogus@mail.address.com> wrote in message
>>I have 865PE/G Neo2 series mobo and the microphone is connected to the mic
>>jack.
>> I've set the recording volume for microphone all the way up in:
>> Volume Control->Options->Properties->Recording->OK
>> The mixer device is on-board Realtek AC97.
>>
>> This is the usual steps for question like mine. Unfortunately with this
>> mobo the
>> recording volume is too low.
>>
>> Is there anything else I can do? I had the same mic (el cheapo computer
>> mic) on a
>> couple of other systems and above settings helped getting the recording
>> volume
>> up.
>>
>> What can I try next. Other sounds work just fine.

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

"123" <bogus@mail.address.com> wrote in message
> I have 865PE/G Neo2 series mobo and the microphone is connected to the mic
jack.
> I've set the recording volume for microphone all the way up in:
> Volume Control->Options->Properties->Recording->OK
> The mixer device is on-board Realtek AC97.
>
> This is the usual steps for question like mine. Unfortunately with this mobo
the
> recording volume is too low.
>
> Is there anything else I can do? I had the same mic (el cheapo computer mic)
on a
> couple of other systems and above settings helped getting the recording volume
> up.
>
> What can I try next. Other sounds work just fine.

Probably not but maybe the MB wants to see a low impedance mic. (pro type)
If you have the software you could "normalize" your recordings.

> "123" wrote ...
> I have 865PE/G Neo2 series mobo and the microphone is
> connected to the mic jack.
> I've set the recording volume for microphone all the way up in:
> Volume Control->Options->Properties->Recording->OK
> The mixer device is on-board Realtek AC97.
>
> This is the usual steps for question like mine. Unfortunately
> with this mobo the recording volume is too low.
>
> Is there anything else I can do?

An external mic preamp would both solve the recording
level program AND almost certainly improve the quality
of the recording. Most mic preamps in computer sound
cards are extraordinarly low quality.

There are several products that combine mic preamp with
A/D and D/A conversion and USB interface so that you
can completely bypass the low-quality, low-gain, noisy
onboard sound circuitry. (Example: M-Audio Mobil Pre
USB, 150USD street price)