Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Linux: wrote small program to make .srt subtitle files fro..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 10:17:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

wget http:/panteltje.com/panteltje/subtitles/dvbtextsubssrt-0.3.tgz
or
http:/panteltje.com/panteltje/subtitles/

This is actually a rework from dvbtextsubs from Dave Chapman, that
program only has xml output.
I added .srt output.

So now you can grab for example BBC subtitles and end up with a .srt file.

This is how I use it for mplayer to make subs:

# Tune BBC2 on Astra2 with xdipo, use pids 2320 2321 2322
# You can also use dvbtextsubssrt to tune, if you have no positioner
# like I do of cause
cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > q2.ts

# record
cat q2.ts | dvbtextsubssrt -r 2321 888 > q2.srt

# demux and re-multiplex so mplayer time start at zero.
cat q2.ts | ts2pes 2320 2322 > q2.pes
es_demux q2.pes q2.mp2 q2.mpv
tcmplex-panteltje -o q2.mpg -i q2.mpv -0 q2.mp2

# play
mplayer q2.mpg

mplayer will now use the q2.srt file for subs.

You can also use transcode or mencoder to encode to DivX,
and use the .srt file in a standalone player.

More about : linux wrote small program make srt subtitle files fro

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 7:13:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

that should be very helpful for the one other linux user in the world.
"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1111864651.c4840d6f3cc97d9c81e9bc3259978d7a@teranews...
> wget http:/panteltje.com/panteltje/subtitles/dvbtextsubssrt-0.3.tgz
> or
> http:/panteltje.com/panteltje/subtitles/
>
> This is actually a rework from dvbtextsubs from Dave Chapman, that
> program only has xml output.
> I added .srt output.
>
> So now you can grab for example BBC subtitles and end up with a .srt file.
>
> This is how I use it for mplayer to make subs:
>
> # Tune BBC2 on Astra2 with xdipo, use pids 2320 2321 2322
> # You can also use dvbtextsubssrt to tune, if you have no positioner
> # like I do of cause
> cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > q2.ts
>
> # record
> cat q2.ts | dvbtextsubssrt -r 2321 888 > q2.srt
>
> # demux and re-multiplex so mplayer time start at zero.
> cat q2.ts | ts2pes 2320 2322 > q2.pes
> es_demux q2.pes q2.mp2 q2.mpv
> tcmplex-panteltje -o q2.mpg -i q2.mpv -0 q2.mp2
>
> # play
> mplayer q2.mpg
>
> mplayer will now use the q2.srt file for subs.
>
> You can also use transcode or mencoder to encode to DivX,
> and use the .srt file in a standalone player.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 9:27:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On a sunny day (Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:13:01 GMT) it happened "nap"
<gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
<14A1e.15974$C47.12219@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>:

>that should be very helpful for the one other linux user in the world.
If you have nothing to contribute do not contribute it!
And that also goes for the last MS windows user, idiot.



>"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:1111864651.c4840d6f3cc97d9c81e9bc3259978d7a@teranews...
>> wget http:/panteltje.com/panteltje/subtitles/dvbtextsubssrt-0.3.tgz
>> or
>> http:/panteltje.com/panteltje/subtitles/
>>
>> This is actually a rework from dvbtextsubs from Dave Chapman, that
>> program only has xml output.
>> I added .srt output.
>>
>> So now you can grab for example BBC subtitles and end up with a .srt file.
>>
>> This is how I use it for mplayer to make subs:
>>
>> # Tune BBC2 on Astra2 with xdipo, use pids 2320 2321 2322
>> # You can also use dvbtextsubssrt to tune, if you have no positioner
>> # like I do of cause
>> cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > q2.ts
>>
>> # record
>> cat q2.ts | dvbtextsubssrt -r 2321 888 > q2.srt
>>
>> # demux and re-multiplex so mplayer time start at zero.
>> cat q2.ts | ts2pes 2320 2322 > q2.pes
>> es_demux q2.pes q2.mp2 q2.mpv
>> tcmplex-panteltje -o q2.mpg -i q2.mpv -0 q2.mp2
>>
>> # play
>> mplayer q2.mpg
>>
>> mplayer will now use the q2.srt file for subs.
>>
>> You can also use transcode or mencoder to encode to DivX,
>> and use the .srt file in a standalone player.
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 10:32:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1111944491.7fc8d9ac8496d81598219b74ce47162f@teranews...
> On a sunny day (Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:13:01 GMT) it happened "nap"
> <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
> <14A1e.15974$C47.12219@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>:
>
>>that should be very helpful for the one other linux user in the world.
> If you have nothing to contribute do not contribute it!
> And that also goes for the last MS windows user, idiot.
>
>

aw.. don't take it personally.. it was a joke. I'll refrain from calling you
any names..

happy easter!









>
>>"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:1111864651.c4840d6f3cc97d9c81e9bc3259978d7a@teranews...
>>> wget http:/panteltje.com/panteltje/subtitles/dvbtextsubssrt-0.3.tgz
>>> or
>>> http:/panteltje.com/panteltje/subtitles/
>>>
>>> This is actually a rework from dvbtextsubs from Dave Chapman, that
>>> program only has xml output.
>>> I added .srt output.
>>>
>>> So now you can grab for example BBC subtitles and end up with a .srt
>>> file.
>>>
>>> This is how I use it for mplayer to make subs:
>>>
>>> # Tune BBC2 on Astra2 with xdipo, use pids 2320 2321 2322
>>> # You can also use dvbtextsubssrt to tune, if you have no positioner
>>> # like I do of cause
>>> cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > q2.ts
>>>
>>> # record
>>> cat q2.ts | dvbtextsubssrt -r 2321 888 > q2.srt
>>>
>>> # demux and re-multiplex so mplayer time start at zero.
>>> cat q2.ts | ts2pes 2320 2322 > q2.pes
>>> es_demux q2.pes q2.mp2 q2.mpv
>>> tcmplex-panteltje -o q2.mpg -i q2.mpv -0 q2.mp2
>>>
>>> # play
>>> mplayer q2.mpg
>>>
>>> mplayer will now use the q2.srt file for subs.
>>>
>>> You can also use transcode or mencoder to encode to DivX,
>>> and use the .srt file in a standalone player.
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 2:12:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On a sunny day (Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:32:01 GMT) it happened "nap"
<gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
<B_C1e.3577$zl.2923@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>:

>
>"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:1111944491.7fc8d9ac8496d81598219b74ce47162f@teranews...
>> On a sunny day (Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:13:01 GMT) it happened "nap"
>> <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
>> <14A1e.15974$C47.12219@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>:
>>
>>>that should be very helpful for the one other linux user in the world.
>> If you have nothing to contribute do not contribute it!
>> And that also goes for the last MS windows user, idiot.
>>
>>
>
>aw.. don't take it personally.. it was a joke. I'll refrain from calling you
>any names..
>
>happy easter!
OK, maybe I was a bit harsh, I asked myself, 'will there be a last MS windows
user?'
Yes, there will be.
And Unix will be there still, it was there long before too.
As for Easter, well, a day like any other day, may every day be a happy one.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 2:39:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1111961587.a59d9b00e92c2631c55b354d62eb84aa@teranews...
> On a sunny day (Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:32:01 GMT) it happened "nap"
> <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
> <B_C1e.3577$zl.2923@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>:
>
>>
>>"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:1111944491.7fc8d9ac8496d81598219b74ce47162f@teranews...
>>> On a sunny day (Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:13:01 GMT) it happened "nap"
>>> <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
>>> <14A1e.15974$C47.12219@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>:
>>>
>>>>that should be very helpful for the one other linux user in the world.
>>> If you have nothing to contribute do not contribute it!
>>> And that also goes for the last MS windows user, idiot.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>aw.. don't take it personally.. it was a joke. I'll refrain from calling
>>you
>>any names..
>>
>>happy easter!
> OK, maybe I was a bit harsh, I asked myself, 'will there be a last MS
> windows
> user?'
> Yes, there will be.
> And Unix will be there still, it was there long before too.
> As for Easter, well, a day like any other day, may every day be a happy
> one.
>
I don't celebrate Easter. I still can't figure out what the rabbit had to do
with the resurrection. But I wish others a happy day.

Unix, Windows.. whatever.. As long as there are apps to run ...

I think Linux users lose sight of the fact that there are a hundreds of
millions of Windows systems working at every possible job every day. I find
the entire discussion about operating systems boring. UNIX is
incomprehensible for the casual user. mostly because it is too flexible and
in order to compomise it enough for the common user.. it would end up like
Windows.

in the 80's when I was working at a large VFX facility we ushered in the
first SGI (Iris) machines and it would have been unthinkable that any
Windows machines could contribute to the CGI workflow in anyway. Now you
will find a vast number of CGI houses using only windows machines. Of course
there are plenty with Linux / Windows systems but with respect to your 'last
Windows user' .. I think the trend is moving away from that possibility. If
there were ever a flood of apps for Linux I think it would have a good
chance. I really do not enjoy developing Windows apps with the API approach
of MS. But it's gotta be done!
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 3:45:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On a sunny day (Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:39:29 GMT) it happened "nap"
<gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
<BCG1e.2253$FN4.1313@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>:

I think the issue Linux versus MS windows is becoming more important everyday.
Not a subject for this group perhaps, but now a political hot item too.
Because of US imperialism, and aggression, more of the still free world will
want to use a NSA free OS.

>If
>there were ever a flood of apps for Linux I think it would have a good
>chance. I really do not enjoy developing Windows apps with the API approach
>of MS. But it's gotta be done!
You must be joking? For almost any subject there are more free applications
for Unix / Linux.
The point is, for any user with 100$ to spare, he can get everything in Linux,
and buy only a few apps in MS world.
And often the Unix stuff is university level state of the art, the windows
stuff deliberately designed broken or limited so you have to buy an upgrade.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 8:30:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1112010373.f693061f19f57dded942f79f1d2df6ae@teranews...


> Because of US imperialism, and aggression, more of the still free world
> will
> want to use a NSA free OS.


dude.. you are a sad case. US Imperialism.. uh-huh..



>
>>If
>>there were ever a flood of apps for Linux I think it would have a good
>>chance. I really do not enjoy developing Windows apps with the API
>>approach
>>of MS. But it's gotta be done!

> You must be joking? For almost any subject there are more free
> applications
> for Unix / Linux.

Without support, and zero guaranteed functionality. . If you are telling me
the quality and quantity of apps in Linux is equivalent.. you are wrong.
Not only that but these apps are nowhere near as complete as the Win apps ..
nor do they run on as many hardware variants.



> The point is, for any user with 100$ to spare, he can get everything in
> Linux,
> and buy only a few apps in MS world.

If you only need one or two apps then sure.. 100 imperialist US dollars will
get you there.


> And often the Unix stuff is university level state of the art, the windows
> stuff deliberately designed broken or limited so you have to buy an
> upgrade.


Univeristy level 'state of the art'? That's funny as hell. Yes.. that's
how it works.. You become a student and you think you know everything. And
those apps are complete, never need upgrades, never fail and run everywhere.
ok.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 8:40:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
news:ziW1e.2458$FN4.1425@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>
> "Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1112010373.f693061f19f57dded942f79f1d2df6ae@teranews...
>
>
>> Because of US imperialism, and aggression, more of the still free world
>> will
>> want to use a NSA free OS.
>
>
> dude.. you are a sad case. US Imperialism.. uh-huh..
>
>
>
>>
>>>If
>>>there were ever a flood of apps for Linux I think it would have a good
>>>chance. I really do not enjoy developing Windows apps with the API
>>>approach
>>>of MS. But it's gotta be done!
>
>> You must be joking? For almost any subject there are more free
>> applications
>> for Unix / Linux.
>
> Without support, and zero guaranteed functionality. . If you are telling
> me the quality and quantity of apps in Linux is equivalent.. you are
> wrong.
> Not only that but these apps are nowhere near as complete as the Win apps
> .. nor do they run on as many hardware variants.
>
>
>
>> The point is, for any user with 100$ to spare, he can get everything in
>> Linux,
>> and buy only a few apps in MS world.
>
> If you only need one or two apps then sure.. 100 imperialist US dollars
> will get you there.
>
>
>> And often the Unix stuff is university level state of the art, the
>> windows
>> stuff deliberately designed broken or limited so you have to buy an
>> upgrade.
>
>
> Univeristy level 'state of the art'? That's funny as hell. Yes.. that's
> how it works.. You become a student and you think you know everything. And
> those apps are complete, never need upgrades, never fail and run
> everywhere. ok.
>

(I'm setting myself up, but I know that going in)

Nap, if you truely feel, as you stated a couple of posts ago, that you don't
want to argue *nix vs. MS then don't talk to a *nix user. All talk
eventually boils down to this same premise. They are physically incapable
of talking about anything else.

I have a friend of mine that's been waiting for *nix to overtake MS for 15
years now. I've almost had to break off the friendship.

Oh, and the rabbits (and eggs for that matter) are pagan symbols of
fertility. But don't tell the die-hard christians that. You'll end up with
another argument that never ends.

Tom P.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 8:57:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Henry Padilla" <padillah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:usW1e.15554$DW.3758@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
>
> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
> news:ziW1e.2458$FN4.1425@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>> "Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:1112010373.f693061f19f57dded942f79f1d2df6ae@teranews...
>>
>>
>>> Because of US imperialism, and aggression, more of the still free world
>>> will
>>> want to use a NSA free OS.
>>
>>
>> dude.. you are a sad case. US Imperialism.. uh-huh..
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>>>If
>>>>there were ever a flood of apps for Linux I think it would have a good
>>>>chance. I really do not enjoy developing Windows apps with the API
>>>>approach
>>>>of MS. But it's gotta be done!
>>
>>> You must be joking? For almost any subject there are more free
>>> applications
>>> for Unix / Linux.
>>
>> Without support, and zero guaranteed functionality. . If you are telling
>> me the quality and quantity of apps in Linux is equivalent.. you are
>> wrong.
>> Not only that but these apps are nowhere near as complete as the Win apps
>> .. nor do they run on as many hardware variants.
>>
>>
>>
>>> The point is, for any user with 100$ to spare, he can get everything in
>>> Linux,
>>> and buy only a few apps in MS world.
>>
>> If you only need one or two apps then sure.. 100 imperialist US dollars
>> will get you there.
>>
>>
>>> And often the Unix stuff is university level state of the art, the
>>> windows
>>> stuff deliberately designed broken or limited so you have to buy an
>>> upgrade.
>>
>>
>> Univeristy level 'state of the art'? That's funny as hell. Yes..
>> that's how it works.. You become a student and you think you know
>> everything. And those apps are complete, never need upgrades, never fail
>> and run everywhere. ok.
>>
>
> (I'm setting myself up, but I know that going in)
>
> Nap, if you truely feel, as you stated a couple of posts ago, that you
> don't want to argue *nix vs. MS then don't talk to a *nix user. All talk
> eventually boils down to this same premise. They are physically incapable
> of talking about anything else.
>
> I have a friend of mine that's been waiting for *nix to overtake MS for 15
> years now. I've almost had to break off the friendship.
>
> Oh, and the rabbits (and eggs for that matter) are pagan symbols of
> fertility. But don't tell the die-hard christians that. You'll end up
> with another argument that never ends.
>
> Tom P.


I have a linux system here.. got it in case I was asked to do development
but hasn;t happened yet. So far its Windows and embedded stuff.. Even the
OSX development has slowed to a standstill. I was trying to have a rational
discussion with him but the US Imperialism .. is a problem for him ..

For me.. Windows is like the prisnoer in the next cell. You HAVE to like him
for the duration but you really hope he keeps his hands off you.

So.. Rabbits = Linux!

n


>
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 10:00:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

all the yak aside..

I think Jan is obviously a very smart guy.
Certainly not an ' idiot'

>
>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:19:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Jan

how do you spell 'relax' in your language?
!