Repairing damaged WMV?

I recently tried to digitize a VHS tape using a DV camcorder's A/V
pass-through capability, capturing the digital output on a PC using MS Movie
Maker 2 (XP Pro SP2). The tape was EP and not the highest quality, so I
decided to capture in the "Best Quality" format that MS MM2 recommended,
rather than in DV format, which would probably have been overkill.

Unfortunately, there seems to be something wrong with the resulting file.
While it can be played in Windows Media Player 10, I can't fast-forward it,
or edit it in MM2. It can only be watched straight-through, in real time.

I digitized it overnight at work, and by the time I got in, someone had
closed MM2, so I'm not sure just what happened, and if there were any error
messages.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with this WMV, and whether
it's possible to repair it so that I can edit and fast-forward it?

Thanks,

Kovie
kovie@earthlink.netizen

martin

"Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message
>I recently tried to digitize a VHS tape using a DV camcorder's A/V
>pass-through capability, capturing the digital output on a PC using MS
>Movie Maker 2 (XP Pro SP2). The tape was EP and not the highest quality, so
>I decided to capture in the "Best Quality" format that MS MM2 recommended,
>rather than in DV format, which would probably have been overkill.
>
> Unfortunately, there seems to be something wrong with the resulting file.
> While it can be played in Windows Media Player 10, I can't fast-forward
> it, or edit it in MM2. It can only be watched straight-through, in real
> time.
>
> I digitized it overnight at work, and by the time I got in, someone had
> closed MM2, so I'm not sure just what happened, and if there were any
> error messages.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with this WMV, and whether
> it's possible to repair it so that I can edit and fast-forward it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kovie
> kovie@earthlink.netizen

Look at the ASFTools utility - freeware from
http://www.geocities.com/myasftools/?200527

Features include:

- Making the stream files "Seekable"

Martin.