host comp cannot be access remotely with another isp

Milan

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002

the host computer connects to the internet with cable internet modem ( isp-
hathway internet )

well i can connect to the host only with the same isp , for eg : only
connects with hathway isp :same as above if i use
dialup or broadband it doesnt connect

please suggest what do i do to solve this problem and connect from any
computer with any ISP

thanks

How are you calling, ie. IP or fully qualified domain name? Any firewalls between you and the public
internet? Any chance your ISP blocks TCP Port 3389 inbound? See this page for some troubleshooting
help.

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"milan" <milan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> the host computer connects to the internet with cable internet modem ( isp-
> hathway internet )
>
> well i can connect to the host only with the same isp , for eg : only
> connects with hathway isp :same as above if i use
> dialup or broadband it doesnt connect
>

> please suggest what do i do to solve this problem and connect from any
> computer with any ISP
>
> thanks

Milan

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002

hi sooner al thanks for the reply

1.as far as i know there are no firewalls between me and the net , internet
is thru the cable modem first into the comp

2.i am using the dynamic dns of no-ip.com ,

3.i can connect to the host computer only if i use the same internet service
that is on the host comp with my client computers

please help me out

thanks
milan
"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
> How are you calling, ie. IP or fully qualified domain name? Any firewalls between you and the public
> internet? Any chance your ISP blocks TCP Port 3389 inbound? See this page for some troubleshooting
> help.
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "milan" <milan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > the host computer connects to the internet with cable internet modem ( isp-
> > hathway internet )
> >
> > well i can connect to the host only with the same isp , for eg : only
> > connects with hathway isp :same as above if i use
> > dialup or broadband it doesnt connect
> >

> > please suggest what do i do to solve this problem and connect from any
> > computer with any ISP
> >
> > thanks

Milan

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002

first i will tell u how i am trying to connect

scenario 1#

1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
modem(motorola-surfboard)
i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls on the
host comp in my knowlegde

2.client comp stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable modem
(motorola-surfboard) same isp as host comp

remote desktop connection successful

scenario 2#

1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
modem(motorola-surfboard)
i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls on the
host comp in my knowlegde

2.client comp stand-alone connected to the internet dialup

remote desktop connection unsuccessful

scenario 3#

1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
modem(motorola-surfboard)
i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls on the
host comp in my knowlegde

2.client comp in network connected to the internet using wireless broaband

remote desktop connection unsuccessful

MY POINT IS THAT

-REMOTE CONNECTION IS SUCESSFUL ONLY IF I USE THE SAME ISP AT BOTH ENDS (
HOST AND CLEINTS )

WHAT I WANNA DO IS

REMOTELY CONNECTION WITH ANY ISP (DIALUP, WIRELESS BROADBAND , CABLE )

PLEASE HELP ME OUT

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> How are you calling, ie. IP or fully qualified domain name? Any firewalls between you and the public
> internet? Any chance your ISP blocks TCP Port 3389 inbound? See this page for some troubleshooting
> help.
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "milan" <milan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > the host computer connects to the internet with cable internet modem ( isp-
> > hathway internet )
> >
> > well i can connect to the host only with the same isp , for eg : only
> > connects with hathway isp :same as above if i use
> > dialup or broadband it doesnt connect
> >

> > please suggest what do i do to solve this problem and connect from any
> > computer with any ISP
> >
> > thanks

Well the only thing I can think of is to double check the Windows Firewall and make sure the
firewall is either disabled or if its enabled to make sure the Remote Desktop address "Scope" is set
to "Any computer (including those on the internet)" versus the default "My network (subnet only)".

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875357

--

> first i will tell u how i am trying to connect
>
> scenario 1#
>
> 1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
> modem(motorola-surfboard)
> i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls on the
> host comp in my knowlegde
>
> 2.client comp stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable modem
> (motorola-surfboard) same isp as host comp
>
> remote desktop connection successful
>
> scenario 2#
>
> 1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
> modem(motorola-surfboard)
> i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls on the
> host comp in my knowlegde
>
> 2.client comp stand-alone connected to the internet dialup
>
> remote desktop connection unsuccessful
>
> scenario 3#
>
> 1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
> modem(motorola-surfboard)
> i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls on the
> host comp in my knowlegde
>
> 2.client comp in network connected to the internet using wireless broaband
>
> remote desktop connection unsuccessful
>
> MY POINT IS THAT
>
> -REMOTE CONNECTION IS SUCESSFUL ONLY IF I USE THE SAME ISP AT BOTH ENDS (
> HOST AND CLEINTS )
>
> WHAT I WANNA DO IS
>
> REMOTELY CONNECTION WITH ANY ISP (DIALUP, WIRELESS BROADBAND , CABLE )
>
> PLEASE HELP ME OUT
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> How are you calling, ie. IP or fully qualified domain name? Any firewalls between you and the
>> public
>> internet? Any chance your ISP blocks TCP Port 3389 inbound? See this page for some
>> troubleshooting
>> help.
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "milan" <milan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > the host computer connects to the internet with cable internet modem ( isp-
>> > hathway internet )
>> >
>> > well i can connect to the host only with the same isp , for eg : only
>> > connects with hathway isp :same as above if i use
>> > dialup or broadband it doesnt connect
>> >

>> > please suggest what do i do to solve this problem and connect from any
>> > computer with any ISP
>> >
>> > thanks

Milan

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002

hi sooner , well thanks for the solutions , though my host computer is a
windows server 2003 amd i cant find this win0dows firewall anywhere

thanks

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Well the only thing I can think of is to double check the Windows Firewall and make sure the
> firewall is either disabled or if its enabled to make sure the Remote Desktop address "Scope" is set
> to "Any computer (including those on the internet)" versus the default "My network (subnet only)".
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875357
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "milan" <milan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > first i will tell u how i am trying to connect
> >
> > scenario 1#
> >
> > 1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
> > modem(motorola-surfboard)
> > i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls on the
> > host comp in my knowlegde
> >
> > 2.client comp stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable modem
> > (motorola-surfboard) same isp as host comp
> >
> > remote desktop connection successful
> >
> > scenario 2#
> >
> > 1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
> > modem(motorola-surfboard)
> > i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls on the
> > host comp in my knowlegde
> >
> > 2.client comp stand-alone connected to the internet dialup
> >
> > remote desktop connection unsuccessful
> >
> > scenario 3#
> >
> > 1. host computer stand-alone connected to the internet with a cable
> > modem(motorola-surfboard)
> > i have installed no firewalls nor has the isp installed any firewalls on the
> > host comp in my knowlegde
> >
> > 2.client comp in network connected to the internet using wireless broaband
> >
> > remote desktop connection unsuccessful
> >
> > MY POINT IS THAT
> >
> > -REMOTE CONNECTION IS SUCESSFUL ONLY IF I USE THE SAME ISP AT BOTH ENDS (
> > HOST AND CLEINTS )
> >
> > WHAT I WANNA DO IS
> >
> > REMOTELY CONNECTION WITH ANY ISP (DIALUP, WIRELESS BROADBAND , CABLE )
> >
> > PLEASE HELP ME OUT
> >

> > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> How are you calling, ie. IP or fully qualified domain name? Any firewalls between you and the
> >> public
> >> internet? Any chance your ISP blocks TCP Port 3389 inbound? See this page for some
> >> troubleshooting
> >> help.
> >>
> >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
> >>
> >> "milan" <milan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Well, its possible its an issue with either Windows 2003 Server or Terminal Services. I suggest you
post to this news group for help since I don't believe its a Windows XP Remote Desktop issue...

microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services

Good luck...