No audio in TMPGEnc? GSpot says audio fine + plenty of cod..

Traveller

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,rec.video,rec.video.desktop,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

EO Video is my preference when this occurs, but I'm having problems
with it on many files this time around (as per my other message). I'm
stuck with an AVI that I need to make into a VCD. How do we fix this
type of problem. AVI plays just fine with various players, 2 versions
of GSpot say everything okay with audio but TMPGEnc Plus flatlines in
the audio window in source range and produces MPG clips with no sound.

I've spent time since posting message re EO Video and this message on
the net googling and in the DVD help forum. Absolutely nothing on
this.

What has anyone else done to resolve this problem? Thanks.

"Traveller" <Jamboree@SpamMailNo.com> wrote in message
> EO Video is my preference when this occurs, but I'm having problems
> with it on many files this time around (as per my other message). I'm
> stuck with an AVI that I need to make into a VCD. How do we fix this
> type of problem. AVI plays just fine with various players, 2 versions
> of GSpot say everything okay with audio but TMPGEnc Plus flatlines in
> the audio window in source range and produces MPG clips with no sound.
>
> I've spent time since posting message re EO Video and this message on
> the net googling and in the DVD help forum. Absolutely nothing on
> this.
>
> What has anyone else done to resolve this problem? Thanks.

You haven't mentioned what "GSpot" said this "fine" audio is.
If you could also provide the audio's parameters.

Luck;
Ken

Traveller

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,rec.video,rec.video.desktop,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:20:08 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Traveller" <Jamboree@SpamMailNo.com> wrote in message
>> EO Video is my preference when this occurs, but I'm having problems
>> with it on many files this time around (as per my other message). I'm
>> stuck with an AVI that I need to make into a VCD. How do we fix this
>> type of problem. AVI plays just fine with various players, 2 versions
>> of GSpot say everything okay with audio but TMPGEnc Plus flatlines in
>> the audio window in source range and produces MPG clips with no sound.
>>
>> I've spent time since posting message re EO Video and this message on
>> the net googling and in the DVD help forum. Absolutely nothing on
>> this.
>>
>> What has anyone else done to resolve this problem? Thanks.
>>

> You haven't mentioned what "GSpot" said this "fine" audio is.
>If you could also provide the audio's parameters.
>
>Luck;
> Ken

Oh, okay. I didn't realize that this would be needed. I'm not sure
what "audio parameters" you're referring to, so I'll just provide what
I see (?).

In the audio window, in the stat box, the words "3 compatible codecs
installed" is displayed.

After rendering, this is what it says about the audio (anyway to
export this info rather than typing out, I wonder???):

LAME MP3 Codec
Franhofer IIS MPEGS Layer-3 Codec
MPEG Layer-3 Decoder

DirectShow claims to be able to play the file. The following
combination of fitlers were used:

Audio Decoder MPEG Layer3-Decoder
Audio Renderer Default DirectSound Device

Does any of this info help?

Thanks.

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:20:08 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>"Traveller" <Jamboree@SpamMailNo.com> wrote in message
>>> EO Video is my preference when this occurs, but I'm having problems
>>> with it on many files this time around (as per my other message). I'm
>>> stuck with an AVI that I need to make into a VCD. How do we fix this
>>> type of problem. AVI plays just fine with various players, 2 versions
>>> of GSpot say everything okay with audio but TMPGEnc Plus flatlines in
>>> the audio window in source range and produces MPG clips with no sound.
>>>
>>> I've spent time since posting message re EO Video and this message on
>>> the net googling and in the DVD help forum. Absolutely nothing on
>>> this.
>>>
>>> What has anyone else done to resolve this problem? Thanks.
>>>

>> You haven't mentioned what "GSpot" said this "fine" audio is.
>>If you could also provide the audio's parameters.
>>
>>Luck;
>> Ken
>
> Oh, okay. I didn't realize that this would be needed. I'm not sure
> what "audio parameters" you're referring to, so I'll just provide what
> I see (?).
>
> In the audio window, in the stat box, the words "3 compatible codecs
> installed" is displayed.
>
> After rendering, this is what it says about the audio (anyway to
> export this info rather than typing out, I wonder???):
>
> LAME MP3 Codec
> Franhofer IIS MPEGS Layer-3 Codec
> MPEG Layer-3 Decoder
>
> DirectShow claims to be able to play the file. The following
> combination of fitlers were used:
>
> Audio Decoder MPEG Layer3-Decoder
> Audio Renderer Default DirectSound Device
>
> Does any of this info help?
>
> Thanks.

You can make a VCD with MP3 audio using TMPGEnc Plus
or Express, so the audio format is not the problem. Are you
sure that you set it to produce a "System (Video+Audio) stream
type?

Luck;
Ken

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,rec.video,rec.video.desktop,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

I have exactly the same problem. I have an RMVB video file and a WAV
soundtrack but I can't get them to work together either to play or burn to
DVD. Have tried different players but no sound.
TMPGEnc sees the RMVB and WAV files OK and converts the RMVB to MPEG-2 no
problem but still no sound. The resulting track has file extension M2V which
implies that it has sound added.
I have copied this from TMPGEnc forum but it didn't help me since the audio
is already in WAV format.
Also it was suggested that the wrong stream type was selected, the stream
type is greyed out in mine!
Can't figure this out at all.

Question - No Sound after having encoded No.51
stefan ( Mail ) 2005/02/08 (Tue) 12:17 ( ID:q5wlfh0huqw ) [ Edit /
Delete / Reply with quotation ]

I share my problem with many users of this progrmmm. After having
encoded the AVI File there is no sound in the MPG file. What shall I do?
Please help me.

Monkey 02/12 (Sat) 00:28 ( ID:ncrq3mzfwbg ) [ Edit / Delete / Reply
with quotation ]
dude did u selected the wrong stream type ?

fraktalisman ( / Home ) 03/19 (Sat) 08:38 ( ID:59bvmeeyr4r ) [ Edit /
Delete / Reply with quotation ]
This can happen with compressed audio. Try to open the video with
another program like Virtual Dub and save audio to WAV file. Then in
TMpegEnc, select your new WAV file as audio source, and the original movie
as video source.
Videos for which you don't have the decoder, can't be processed at
all, like new Quick Time or Windows Media Format (WMV / ASF support had to
be removed from virtual dub because of Microsoft patent. I doubt you can
find a decoder other than Windows Media Player / Movie Maker anymore.)

enCORe 03/23 (Wed) 02:58 ( ID:w.awxr27qe6 ) [ Edit / Delete / Reply
with quotation ]
hey,
i got the similar problems esecially converting from xvid vids, any
plugin/ patch for this problem ?

B_Racer 03/23 (Wed) 05:57 ( ID:0jd4rmr3tyn ) [ Edit / Delete / Reply
with quotation ]
fraktalisman answered your question ...

But it's better to use VirtualDubMOD, not VirtualDub, the
MOD-Version supports more formats.

Reply to the message

--

Kenny Cargill

"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I have exactly the same problem. I have an RMVB video file and a WAV
>soundtrack but I can't get them to work together either to play or burn to
>DVD. Have tried different players but no sound.
> TMPGEnc sees the RMVB and WAV files OK and converts the RMVB to MPEG-2 no
> problem but still no sound. The resulting track has file extension M2V
> which implies that it has sound added.

No, .m2v is MPEG2 ES Video. Video only

> I have copied this from TMPGEnc forum but it didn't help me since the
> audio is already in WAV format.
> Also it was suggested that the wrong stream type was selected, the stream
> type is greyed out in mine!
> Can't figure this out at all.

If you have a 16bit .wav file and a .m2v file you can just mux them.
The MPEG Tools in TMPGEnc can do that for you.

If you want to save some space, use Besweet to convert the .wav
to MPEG 1 Layer 2 (MP2) or AC3. Then mux them.

Luck;
Ken

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,rec.video,rec.video.desktop,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

Thanks for the reply Ken. The output file is shown as:

DVD PAL (MPEG-2 720x576 25fps CBR 4171kbps, Linear PCM 48000Hz 1536kbps)

and the stream type (greyed out) as:

ES (Video + Audio)

I am trying again at present and noticed two things.

1. The resulting M2V file is going to be much bigger than the previous one
and
2. It appears to be creating another large WAV file which wasn't there
before!

--

Kenny Cargill

> Thanks for the reply Ken. The output file is shown as:
>
> DVD PAL (MPEG-2 720x576 25fps CBR 4171kbps, Linear PCM 48000Hz 1536kbps)
>
> and the stream type (greyed out) as:
>
> ES (Video + Audio)

This means you have it set to produce separate video and audio
files, a .m2v video file and a .wav audio file.

> I am trying again at present and noticed two things.
>
> 1. The resulting M2V file is going to be much bigger than the previous one
> and
> 2. It appears to be creating another large WAV file which wasn't there
> before!
>
> --
>
> Kenny Cargill

You should have it set to "System (Video+Audio)" stream
type. You might want to try a VBR setting also, and you can
use the internal audio converter to encode the audio to MP2.

If you play the .m2v file now, from the same folder as the .wav
file, you will normally hear the audio. ( the player knows to look
for the audio file with the same name.)

Luck;
Ken

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,rec.video,rec.video.desktop,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

Will come back to it tomorrow, it's giving me a sore head now.

--

Kenny Cargill

"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply Ken. The output file is shown as:
>
> DVD PAL (MPEG-2 720x576 25fps CBR 4171kbps, Linear PCM 48000Hz 1536kbps)
>
> and the stream type (greyed out) as:
>
> ES (Video + Audio)
>
> I am trying again at present and noticed two things.
>
> 1. The resulting M2V file is going to be much bigger than the previous one
> and
> 2. It appears to be creating another large WAV file which wasn't there
> before!
>
> --
>
> Kenny Cargill
>

> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>>I have exactly the same problem. I have an RMVB video file and a WAV
>>>soundtrack but I can't get them to work together either to play or burn
>>>to DVD. Have tried different players but no sound.
>>> TMPGEnc sees the RMVB and WAV files OK and converts the RMVB to MPEG-2
>>> no problem but still no sound. The resulting track has file extension
>>> M2V which implies that it has sound added.
>>
>> No, .m2v is MPEG2 ES Video. Video only
>>
>>> I have copied this from TMPGEnc forum but it didn't help me since the
>>> audio is already in WAV format.
>>> Also it was suggested that the wrong stream type was selected, the
>>> stream type is greyed out in mine!
>>> Can't figure this out at all.
>>>

>> If you have a 16bit .wav file and a .m2v file you can just mux them.
>> The MPEG Tools in TMPGEnc can do that for you.
>>
>> If you want to save some space, use Besweet to convert the .wav
>> to MPEG 1 Layer 2 (MP2) or AC3. Then mux them.
>>
>> Luck;
>> Ken

Traveller

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,rec.video,rec.video.desktop,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:17:35 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Traveller" <Jamboree@SpamMailNo.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:20:08 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
>> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"Traveller" <Jamboree@SpamMailNo.com> wrote in message

>>> You haven't mentioned what "GSpot" said this "fine" audio is.
>>>If you could also provide the audio's parameters.
>>>
>>>Luck;
>>> Ken
>>
>> Oh, okay. I didn't realize that this would be needed. I'm not sure
>> what "audio parameters" you're referring to, so I'll just provide what
>> I see (?).
>>
>> In the audio window, in the stat box, the words "3 compatible codecs
>> installed" is displayed.
>>
>> After rendering, this is what it says about the audio (anyway to
>> export this info rather than typing out, I wonder???):
>>
>> LAME MP3 Codec
>> Franhofer IIS MPEGS Layer-3 Codec
>> MPEG Layer-3 Decoder
>>
>> DirectShow claims to be able to play the file. The following
>> combination of fitlers were used:
>>
>> Audio Decoder MPEG Layer3-Decoder
>> Audio Renderer Default DirectSound Device
>>
>> Does any of this info help?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> You can make a VCD with MP3 audio using TMPGEnc Plus
>or Express, so the audio format is not the problem. Are you
>sure that you set it to produce a "System (Video+Audio) stream
>type?

Oh, yes. That option is what is ticked.

btw, I tried various ways to do the re-encode with and without the
wizard and following several tuts on this found on the net. None of
them covered what to do when no audio was produced, however, but I
went through the motions anyway. As I mentioned, the audio flatlines
in the "Source Range" window so TMPGEnc isn't picking up on the audio
somehow.

My EO Video is what I turned to whenever this frequent problem in
TMPGEnc Plus happens but I have been having trouble in this new
install of EO. When pressing convert, a video preview window keeps
coming up 9 times out of 10 which aborts the conversion once it starts
in on the audio (this window is something EO never did before and I
didn't set it to do that). After many, many tries, finally that
window didn't come up one time and so EO could start and complete the
re-encode. So I do now have a VCD-compliant MPG ready to burn with no
problems in the audio.

But it would be nice to have TMPGEnc work all the time and to know
what to do when this frequent lack of audio problem happens. I find
TMPGEnc converts in much less time than EO, sometimes up to 2 hours
less. So I just did another small test with TMPGEnc and looked to see
if anything might stand out to me this time around, but nothing. I
still can't see where the problem might lie. Yes the "System
(Video+Audio) ..." is what is ticked selected. That one must admit
was pretty obvious right from the beginning <lol>.

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,rec.video,rec.video.desktop,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

Since I am fairly new to this I had been using the wizard which opens when
TMPGEnc starts. Using this many of the options including stream type were
greyed out and couldn't be changed.
Closed the wizard and started from File/New and it was very straightforward
from there, I now have a DVD copy of the original MKV file.
Just tested it in standalone DVD player and it works perfect, no lip sync
problems or anything else.
I thought the whole idea of wizards was to make using a program easier, in
this case it was exactly the opposite!
Since the program is totally free I can't complain too much but I found this
thing with the wizard very frustrating.
Also it shows that sometimes with a problem like this just leaving it for a
while and coming back the next day with a clear head helps a lot.

--

Kenny Cargill

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:28:30 +0100, Kenny <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> I thought the whole idea of wizards was to make using a program easier, in
> this case it was exactly the opposite!

Do not meddle in the ways of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to
anger! <g>

You were under a common misconception, 'wizards' are designed to make
complex things look simple if you only want to do simple things. With
almost every program, if you want to do anything remotely out of the
ordinary (or what the wizard writer thought was ordinary) you need to
scrap the wizard and go for the real thing, as you found.

> Since the program is totally free I can't complain too much but I found this
> thing with the wizard very frustrating.

It's true of a lot of programs with wizards. If you're lucky the writer
has put into the wizard the things you need (an example is the Excel
chart wizard, I've never needed to do anything that doesn't support), or
will allow you to fine tune later, but many programs (like Nero) block
off a lot of useful things with the wizard. The same is true of a
number of operating systems (Windows and MacOS come to mind), they make
it difficult to "get under the hood" and do things which they thought
people wouldn't want to do...

> Also it shows that sometimes with a problem like this just leaving it for a
> while and coming back the next day with a clear head helps a lot.

Oh yes, always. The number of times I've been beating my head against a
wall at work, then I get in the car to drive home and the answer has hit
me before I get home, just because my mind is no longer straining at it.

(Note followup, I don't know which group you're in...)

Chris C

Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,rec.video,rec.video.desktop,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

Hi
Have you tried out the following:
-load avi into Virtualdub and select "save wav" to save the audio part as
wav file
-in TMPEGEnc select the avi file as the video source and the wav as the
audio source and generate the MPG as usual.

Regards
Peter

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:06:06 +0200, "Peter_L" <peter_l@myrealbox.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>Have you tried out the following:
>-load avi into Virtualdub and select "save wav" to save the audio part as
>wav file
>-in TMPEGEnc select the avi file as the video source and the wav as the
>audio source and generate the MPG as usual.

I actually kept looking for answers since now every DivX file had no
audio. The solution I finally found yesterday allows me to get audio
without further fiddling like the above, which I would really try to
avoid <vbg>, and has allowed me to use TMPGEnc 3 times since
yesterday, and I'm getting full and synched audio. This was a
tremendous thing since EO Video does work even when TMPGEnc doesn't
but takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours more to do the same thing. TMPGEnc
re-encodes to MPG in about 2 1/3 to 3 hours whereas EO Video takes 6
hours or more! And I'm talking about 45 min TV eps only, not movies
or anything!!! <g>

The trick that has allowed this to work is giving directshow highest
priority. Here's where I got the info from and step-by-step
instructions:

************
From
http://www.afterdawn.com/faq/software_problems/no_audio_in_output_file_in_tmpgenc.cfm,
point # 6.1.10:

This is usually caused by the compression on the audio of the source
file. If it is an AVI file it is very common. With an AVI file the
easiest things to do here are set DirectShow Multimedia File Reader's
priority to 2 or even better demcompress the audio!

To change the priority of DirectShow, this is dont simply by clicking
option - environmental setting. Click the VFAPI plug-in tab. You will
see DirectShow in the list usually with a priority of -1. Right click
on the NAME (not the priority) and click higher priority until the
priority is 2 and it is at the top of the list. To decompress the
audio for better results, do the following with VirtualDUB...

1. Click Video - Direct Stream Copy.
2. Click Audio - Full Processing Mode.
3. Click Audio - Compression. Select and click ok!
4. Click File - Save AVI and try it with TMPGEnc.
************

It's worked so far every time! <crossing fingers>

Thanks!

>Regards
>Peter
>
>"Traveller" <Jamboree@SpamMailNo.com> wrote in message
>> EO Video is my preference when this occurs, but I'm having problems
>> with it on many files this time around (as per my other message). I'm
>> stuck with an AVI that I need to make into a VCD. How do we fix this
>> type of problem. AVI plays just fine with various players, 2 versions
>> of GSpot say everything okay with audio but TMPGEnc Plus flatlines in
>> the audio window in source range and produces MPG clips with no sound.
>>
>> I've spent time since posting message re EO Video and this message on
>> the net googling and in the DVD help forum. Absolutely nothing on
>> this.
>>
>> What has anyone else done to resolve this problem? Thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.video.avid_editors,alt.video.dvd.software,rec.video,rec.video.desktop,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

Thanks!!!
Seems to be very usefull although I have never been running into this
problem so far...
Peter

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:24:24 +0200, "Peter_L" <peter_l@myrealbox.com>
wrote:

>Thanks!!!
>Seems to be very usefull although I have never been running into this
>problem so far...
>Peter

Making directshow the first item in the list has allowed me to use
TMPGEnc on all my avi conversions now. Not once have I had trouble
since I posted this. So it really does seem to work! <g>

>"Traveller" <Jamboree@SpamMailNo.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:06:06 +0200, "Peter_L" <peter_l@myrealbox.com>

[snip]