Does heat affect digital cameras?

Where Im at the temperature stays in a narrow range around 85-95F most
of the time. Its almost always sunny. The thing is when you walk
around the relentless sunshine , I notice makes me boiling hot and the
camera in my hand seems to get fairly warm too.

I havent seen anyone post about this but does direct sunlight not on
the lens but in general , making the camera warmer affect the
mechanics in a negative way? Or the sensor? I mainly mean temporarily
but also what are the parameters for safe usage to avoid permanent
damage?

Also theres the dust problem. How does dust or anything else get INTO
the lens assembly if its not a SLR where you physically take the lens
off? Shouldnt it be fairly rare for anything to get into the lens
assembly or into the camera ?

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:59:12 GMT, "John@Smith.com"
<xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote:

>I havent seen anyone post about this but does direct sunlight not on
>the lens but in general , making the camera warmer affect the
>mechanics in a negative way? Or the sensor? I mainly mean temporarily
>but also what are the parameters for safe usage to avoid permanent
>damage?

In heat, battery's life will be reduced and if you're not careful with
the LCD display excessive direct sunlight can damage the LCD. Other
than that it should be OK but try not to let it bake.

>Also theres the dust problem. How does dust or anything else get INTO
>the lens assembly if its not a SLR where you physically take the lens
>off? Shouldnt it be fairly rare for anything to get into the lens
>assembly or into the camera ?

Most cameras are not completely sealed so a little speck of dust will
worm its way through the seam of the body and float around the
camera's inard until it sticks onto the lens. Also sloppy factory
condition can add unwanted dusts inside camera. If dust really
bothers you look for a waterproof camera and use that.

Hello, John@Smith.com!
You wrote on Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:59:12 GMT:

J> I havent seen anyone post about this but does direct sunlight not on
J> the lens but in general , making the camera warmer affect the
J> mechanics in a negative way? Or the sensor? I mainly mean temporarily
J> but also what are the parameters for safe usage to avoid permanent
J> damage?

The temperature range in which the camera can be used is 0°C to 40°C

(32°Fto104°F).

The liquid crystal display will become black at temperatures of

approximately 60°C (140°F) but will return to normal when normal

temperatures are returned to.

The cooler you can keep the CCD in a camera, the less noise there will be.
High end digital cameras have the CCD cooled with cryogenics, to keep noise
to an extreme minimum. So, in answer to your question, yes, heat will affect
the picture, in that the hotter it is, the more noise. However, if you stay
within the manufacturers specs, the camera should not be PHYSICALLY
affected.