newbie question about miniDV to PC

Hi all. I have been googling away all morning and I still don't really know
the answer to my question, so if anyone can have the patience to deal with
me I thank you!

I have just bought a Sony Handycam MiniDV type affair. I have recorded some
nice bits on it, all i want is said nice bits on the PC as AVI or MPG.

The only way I can find to do it is by using the software that came with it
which adds a cheesy backing track and fades.

I also attempted to capture it in Virtual Dub but the quality was poor.

So how can I get the same quality of image that I had before but without the
cheesy music and fades?

I have a USB2 and no firewire btw

Thanks

Will
5 answers Last reply
More about newbie question minidv

    Windows Movie Maker 2 (if your'e on XP, it's free)

    http://www.videoguys.com/dtvhome.html
    ....for more details.

    If you outgrow WMM2, there's other software available but likely WMM2 will
    do just about everything you need.

    C.

    "Willl" <smacking_jon REMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all. I have been googling away all morning and I still don't really
    > know the answer to my question, so if anyone can have the patience to deal
    > with me I thank you!
    >
    > I have just bought a Sony Handycam MiniDV type affair. I have recorded
    > some nice bits on it, all i want is said nice bits on the PC as AVI or
    > MPG.
    >
    > The only way I can find to do it is by using the software that came with
    > it which adds a cheesy backing track and fades.
    >
    > I also attempted to capture it in Virtual Dub but the quality was poor.
    >
    > So how can I get the same quality of image that I had before but without
    > the cheesy music and fades?
    >
    > I have a USB2 and no firewire btw
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Will

    Whoops. I see you don't have firewire.

    Don't walk, RUN to your nearest Bestbuy and get a Firewire card.
    It's gonna save you so much trouble you don't even want to know...

    C.

    "Willl" <smacking_jon REMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all. I have been googling away all morning and I still don't really
    > know the answer to my question, so if anyone can have the patience to deal
    > with me I thank you!
    >
    > I have just bought a Sony Handycam MiniDV type affair. I have recorded
    > some nice bits on it, all i want is said nice bits on the PC as AVI or
    > MPG.
    >
    > The only way I can find to do it is by using the software that came with
    > it which adds a cheesy backing track and fades.
    >
    > I also attempted to capture it in Virtual Dub but the quality was poor.
    >
    > So how can I get the same quality of image that I had before but without
    > the cheesy music and fades?
    >
    > I have a USB2 and no firewire btw
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Will

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:31:53 GMT, "Willl" <smacking_jon
    REMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hi all. I have been googling away all morning and I still don't really know
    >the answer to my question, so if anyone can have the patience to deal with
    >me I thank you!
    >
    >I have just bought a Sony Handycam MiniDV type affair. I have recorded some
    >nice bits on it, all i want is said nice bits on the PC as AVI or MPG.
    >
    >The only way I can find to do it is by using the software that came with it
    >which adds a cheesy backing track and fades.
    >
    >I also attempted to capture it in Virtual Dub but the quality was poor.
    >
    >So how can I get the same quality of image that I had before but without the
    >cheesy music and fades?
    >
    >I have a USB2 and no firewire btw
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Will

    Get a friggin firewire card for less than 20 bucks and use firewire as
    it was meant to be use with the sony comcorder. If you really want to
    do a good job then get a program such as Pinnacle Studio and make your
    life simple. How are you using USB to get video to your hard drive
    since I know of no Sony camcorder that uses it other than for still
    pictures from teh memory card. Hopefully, you are not using the
    memory card but are capturing to dv tape. If you value your time and
    sanity use a firewire port and a decent capture software.

    > Get a friggin firewire card for less than 20 bucks and use firewire as
    > it was meant to be use with the sony comcorder. If you really want to
    > do a good job then get a program such as Pinnacle Studio and make your
    > life simple. How are you using USB to get video to your hard drive
    > since I know of no Sony camcorder that uses it other than for still
    > pictures from teh memory card. Hopefully, you are not using the
    > memory card but are capturing to dv tape. If you value your time and
    > sanity use a firewire port and a decent capture software.

    Well it streams the video via USB2, so I can capture it in real time lik
    that. But it drops a few frames. When I use one of Sony's shitty AutoVideo
    program it has a much better quality transfer but it will only do it if it
    can add its stupid fades and backing music!

    "Willl" <smacking_jon REMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all. I have been googling away all morning and I still don't really
    > know the answer to my question, so if anyone can have the patience to deal
    > with me I thank you!
    >
    > I have just bought a Sony Handycam MiniDV type affair. I have recorded
    > some nice bits on it, all i want is said nice bits on the PC as AVI or
    > MPG.
    >
    > The only way I can find to do it is by using the software that came with
    > it which adds a cheesy backing track and fades.
    >
    > I also attempted to capture it in Virtual Dub but the quality was poor.
    >
    > So how can I get the same quality of image that I had before but without
    > the cheesy music and fades?
    >
    > I have a USB2 and no firewire btw
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Will

    For what it's worth, I have to concur with the other two on this. a
    firewirer card is NOTHING ($25 tops) and it makes things so simple.

    Everybody knows what it's for, everybody knows how to use it, you get no
    dropped frames, you get no incompatibility, it's much nicer. Once you've
    gone there you should be able to find several capture methods, some even for
    free.

    Tom P.

Tuner Cards MiniDV Graphics