How: DVD 2:35.1 to 4:3

Hi,

Curious as to how i might convert a dvd that is currently in 2.35:1 format
(The poseidon adventue) to 1.75:1 or 4:3 for my 65 inch HDTV widescreen.

Currently playing this movie shows such thick black bars at the top and
bottom that anything would be an improvement.

What software would do the conversion?

Thnx,

Jeff
6 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    16:9 does not mean it will fill your screen. Normal 2.35:1 will always have
    black top and bottom. There is nothing to fix. Either use Zoom to fill the
    screen or remember 16:9 is called 'letterbox" but "letterbox" has many
    flavors.

    On 27-Mar-2005, "jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:

    > Curious as to how i might convert a dvd that is currently in 2.35:1
    > format
    > (The poseidon adventue) to 1.75:1 or 4:3 for my 65 inch HDTV widescreen.
    >
    > Currently playing this movie shows such thick black bars at the top and
    > bottom that anything would be an improvement.

    I'm betting that your DVD player is in "progressive scan" mode and that the
    DVD is "matted" 2.35:1 (i.e. in a 4:3 frame).

    If your DVD player sends a 480p signal to your TV, it will (depending on the
    TV) stretch the image horizontally to fill the wider frame. This causes the
    black bars of a 2.35:1 source to look extremely thick.

    The solution is easy: If your TV allows stretching (zooming) of 480p source,
    then simply change the display setting. If your TV is like my Mitsu Diamond
    RP, you will have to switch your DVD player to "interlace" mode (i.e. 480i)
    and then the TV will allow you to "zoom". This will result in a nice
    widescreen image with only very small bars at the top and bottom of the
    screen.

    I have to do this to watch Armageddon and Sling Blade - or any "widescreen"
    movie that is not "Enhanced for 16:9 TVs".

    Chris

    "FlyByKnight" <FlyByKnight@invalid.com> wrote in message

    > On 27-Mar-2005, "jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Curious as to how i might convert a dvd that is currently in 2.35:1
    > > format
    > > (The poseidon adventue) to 1.75:1 or 4:3 for my 65 inch HDTV
    widescreen.

    > > Currently playing this movie shows such thick black bars at the top and
    > > bottom that anything would be an improvement.
    >
    > I'm betting that your DVD player is in "progressive scan" mode and that
    the
    > DVD is "matted" 2.35:1 (i.e. in a 4:3 frame).
    >
    > If your DVD player sends a 480p signal to your TV, it will (depending on
    the
    > TV) stretch the image horizontally to fill the wider frame. This causes
    the
    > black bars of a 2.35:1 source to look extremely thick.
    >
    > The solution is easy: If your TV allows stretching (zooming) of 480p
    source,
    > then simply change the display setting. If your TV is like my Mitsu
    Diamond
    > RP, you will have to switch your DVD player to "interlace" mode (i.e.
    480i)
    > and then the TV will allow you to "zoom". This will result in a nice
    > widescreen image with only very small bars at the top and bottom of the
    > screen.
    >
    > I have to do this to watch Armageddon and Sling Blade - or any
    "widescreen"
    > movie that is not "Enhanced for 16:9 TVs".
    >
    > Chris

    I have a mitsu 65 RPTV too, but the dvd's are being played off my mce2005 pc
    via the DVI connection at 1080i

    But can't a title be converted by tmpgenc or something to make it 16:9
    enhanced?

    Even if image quality suffers a bit, i'm curious if it can be done

    jeff

    In article <k8KdnSpAApH41NrfRVn-tQ@fcc.net>, "jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Curious as to how i might convert a dvd that is currently in 2.35:1 format
    >(The poseidon adventue) to 1.75:1 or 4:3 for my 65 inch HDTV widescreen.
    >
    >Currently playing this movie shows such thick black bars at the top and
    >bottom that anything would be an improvement.
    >
    >What software would do the conversion?
    >
    >Thnx,
    >
    >Jeff

    There must be some sort of zoom feature on that tv

    "GMAN" <glenzabr@nospam.xmission.com> wrote in message
    > In article <k8KdnSpAApH41NrfRVn-tQ@fcc.net>, "jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Curious as to how i might convert a dvd that is currently in 2.35:1
    >>format
    >>(The poseidon adventue) to 1.75:1 or 4:3 for my 65 inch HDTV widescreen.
    >>
    >>Currently playing this movie shows such thick black bars at the top and
    >>bottom that anything would be an improvement.
    >>
    >>What software would do the conversion?
    >>
    >>Thnx,
    >>
    >>Jeff
    >>

    > There must be some sort of zoom feature on that tv

    The zoom feature does not fill up the screen.

    That is why i am wondering if i can redo the ratios and make it 16:9
    enhanced for weidescreen tv's or something better then i have even at the
    expense of quality

    jeff

    If I'm interpreting what the OP is saying...

    He has a 16:9 TV. (as are all "widescreen" TV's)

    He's watching a movie shot in 2.35 or 2.38:1.

    There are black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. (as there should
    be in this case)

    *********

    Personally, I can't imagine WANTING to "discard" any of the original picture
    information. I'd like to see exactly what the director intended regardless
    of my TV having black bars.

    To each their own.

    C.

    "jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message

    > "GMAN" <glenzabr@nospam.xmission.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <k8KdnSpAApH41NrfRVn-tQ@fcc.net>, "jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Curious as to how i might convert a dvd that is currently in 2.35:1
    >>>format
    >>>(The poseidon adventue) to 1.75:1 or 4:3 for my 65 inch HDTV widescreen.
    >>>
    >>>Currently playing this movie shows such thick black bars at the top and
    >>>bottom that anything would be an improvement.
    >>>
    >>>What software would do the conversion?
    >>>
    >>>Thnx,
    >>>
    >>>Jeff
    >>>

    >> There must be some sort of zoom feature on that tv
    >>

    > The zoom feature does not fill up the screen.
    >
    > That is why i am wondering if i can redo the ratios and make it 16:9
    > enhanced for weidescreen tv's or something better then i have even at the
    > expense of quality
    >

    > jeff

Tuner Cards DVD Desktops Graphics