How: DVD 2:35.1 to 4:3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 27, 2005 11:01:39 PM

Hi,

Curious as to how i might convert a dvd that is currently in 2.35:1 format
(The poseidon adventue) to 1.75:1 or 4:3 for my 65 inch HDTV widescreen.

Currently playing this movie shows such thick black bars at the top and
bottom that anything would be an improvement.

What software would do the conversion?

Thnx,

Jeff

More about : dvd

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 9:59:21 AM

16:9 does not mean it will fill your screen. Normal 2.35:1 will always have
black top and bottom. There is nothing to fix. Either use Zoom to fill the
screen or remember 16:9 is called 'letterbox" but "letterbox" has many
flavors.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 5:56:15 PM

On 27-Mar-2005, "jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:

> Curious as to how i might convert a dvd that is currently in 2.35:1
> format
> (The poseidon adventue) to 1.75:1 or 4:3 for my 65 inch HDTV widescreen.
>
> Currently playing this movie shows such thick black bars at the top and
> bottom that anything would be an improvement.

I'm betting that your DVD player is in "progressive scan" mode and that the
DVD is "matted" 2.35:1 (i.e. in a 4:3 frame).

If your DVD player sends a 480p signal to your TV, it will (depending on the
TV) stretch the image horizontally to fill the wider frame. This causes the
black bars of a 2.35:1 source to look extremely thick.

The solution is easy: If your TV allows stretching (zooming) of 480p source,
then simply change the display setting. If your TV is like my Mitsu Diamond
RP, you will have to switch your DVD player to "interlace" mode (i.e. 480i)
and then the TV will allow you to "zoom". This will result in a nice
widescreen image with only very small bars at the top and bottom of the
screen.

I have to do this to watch Armageddon and Sling Blade - or any "widescreen"
movie that is not "Enhanced for 16:9 TVs".

Chris
Related resources
March 28, 2005 5:56:16 PM

"FlyByKnight" <FlyByKnight@invalid.com> wrote in message

> On 27-Mar-2005, "jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Curious as to how i might convert a dvd that is currently in 2.35:1
> > format
> > (The poseidon adventue) to 1.75:1 or 4:3 for my 65 inch HDTV
widescreen.

> > Currently playing this movie shows such thick black bars at the top and
> > bottom that anything would be an improvement.
>
> I'm betting that your DVD player is in "progressive scan" mode and that
the
> DVD is "matted" 2.35:1 (i.e. in a 4:3 frame).
>
> If your DVD player sends a 480p signal to your TV, it will (depending on
the
> TV) stretch the image horizontally to fill the wider frame. This causes
the
> black bars of a 2.35:1 source to look extremely thick.
>
> The solution is easy: If your TV allows stretching (zooming) of 480p
source,
> then simply change the display setting. If your TV is like my Mitsu
Diamond
> RP, you will have to switch your DVD player to "interlace" mode (i.e.
480i)
> and then the TV will allow you to "zoom". This will result in a nice
> widescreen image with only very small bars at the top and bottom of the
> screen.
>
> I have to do this to watch Armageddon and Sling Blade - or any
"widescreen"
> movie that is not "Enhanced for 16:9 TVs".
>
> Chris

I have a mitsu 65 RPTV too, but the dvd's are being played off my mce2005 pc
via the DVI connection at 1080i

But can't a title be converted by tmpgenc or something to make it 16:9
enhanced?

Even if image quality suffers a bit, i'm curious if it can be done

jeff
March 30, 2005 1:00:48 AM

In article <k8KdnSpAApH41NrfRVn-tQ@fcc.net>, "jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Curious as to how i might convert a dvd that is currently in 2.35:1 format
>(The poseidon adventue) to 1.75:1 or 4:3 for my 65 inch HDTV widescreen.
>
>Currently playing this movie shows such thick black bars at the top and
>bottom that anything would be an improvement.
>
>What software would do the conversion?
>
>Thnx,
>
>Jeff

There must be some sort of zoom feature on that tv
March 30, 2005 1:00:49 AM

"GMAN" <glenzabr@nospam.xmission.com> wrote in message
news:D 2cfm3$d1u$3@news.xmission.com...
> In article <k8KdnSpAApH41NrfRVn-tQ@fcc.net>, "jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>Curious as to how i might convert a dvd that is currently in 2.35:1
>>format
>>(The poseidon adventue) to 1.75:1 or 4:3 for my 65 inch HDTV widescreen.
>>
>>Currently playing this movie shows such thick black bars at the top and
>>bottom that anything would be an improvement.
>>
>>What software would do the conversion?
>>
>>Thnx,
>>
>>Jeff
>>

> There must be some sort of zoom feature on that tv

The zoom feature does not fill up the screen.

That is why i am wondering if i can redo the ratios and make it 16:9
enhanced for weidescreen tv's or something better then i have even at the
expense of quality

jeff
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:00:50 AM

If I'm interpreting what the OP is saying...

He has a 16:9 TV. (as are all "widescreen" TV's)

He's watching a movie shot in 2.35 or 2.38:1.

There are black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. (as there should
be in this case)

*********

Personally, I can't imagine WANTING to "discard" any of the original picture
information. I'd like to see exactly what the director intended regardless
of my TV having black bars.

To each their own.

C.

news:p u6dncJUtZqqXtTfRVn-sw@fcc.net...