can i do this...

use remote desktop to connect two XP pc's that live on two different isp
networks... both dhcp assigned...
5 answers Last reply
More about this

    Yes...You can use a dynamic naming service like No-IP.com to assign a fully qualified domain name to
    the PC your trying to call. I use that to call my home PCs...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "S_OK" <billg@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:u2r3Yr%23MFHA.244@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > use remote desktop to connect two XP pc's that live on two different isp networks... both dhcp
    > assigned...

    Sure. That's what RD is for. The target computer needs XP Pro or you need
    to use some other VNC program.

    "S_OK" <billg@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > use remote desktop to connect two XP pc's that live on two different isp
    > networks... both dhcp assigned...

    thanks! ok now i have more quesitons:

    i'm using a linksys router and i have various laptops behind it's firewall.
    I see you have to use port forwarding, but does this imply I will only be
    able to get to *one* of my machines at a time? Because it seems you can only
    forward to one of the dhcp addresses ... ?
    Also, say I reboot the machine i'm forwarding to... it gets a new IP ... do
    I have to manually go in there and adjust the port-forwarding settings
    again?

    thanks

    > Yes...You can use a dynamic naming service like No-IP.com to assign a
    > fully qualified domain name to the PC your trying to call. I use that to
    > call my home PCs...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >
    > "S_OK" <billg@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> use remote desktop to connect two XP pc's that live on two different isp
    >> networks... both dhcp assigned...

    You have some options...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

    I do this through a SSH tunnel (same link I gave you earlier)...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

    ....or through a VPN tunnel is also an option...

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

    --

    "S_OK" <billg@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:eWqGDQ7OFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > thanks! ok now i have more quesitons:
    >
    > i'm using a linksys router and i have various laptops behind it's firewall. I see you have to use
    > port forwarding, but does this imply I will only be able to get to *one* of my machines at a time?
    > Because it seems you can only forward to one of the dhcp addresses ... ?
    > Also, say I reboot the machine i'm forwarding to... it gets a new IP ... do I have to manually go
    > in there and adjust the port-forwarding settings again?
    >
    > thanks
    >

    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Yes...You can use a dynamic naming service like No-IP.com to assign a fully qualified domain name
    >> to the PC your trying to call. I use that to call my home PCs...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "S_OK" <billg@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:u2r3Yr%23MFHA.244@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >>> use remote desktop to connect two XP pc's that live on two different isp networks... both dhcp
    >>> assigned...

    I forgot to add that using a static IP address for desktop/laptop PCs on your home LAN makes port
    forwarding easier.

    http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

    Some routers, like my Buffalo WBR-G54, allow you to assign DHCP IP addresses to clients based on the
    MAC Address of the NIC in the desktop/laptop. A psuedo static IP address so to speak. So as an
    example my iPAQ 5555 PocketPC client is configured to grab a DHCP assigned IP address from any
    network it connects to. When it connects to my home LAN my WBR-G54 assigns the same IP address based
    on the MAC Address of the iPAQ 5555.

    If your router does not have that feature then a DHCP assigned IP address will cause havoc with your
    port forwarding scheme...I recommend using static IP addresses on your home LAN for desktop PCs. For
    laptops see this article for help with "Alternate addressing"...

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjj_ipa_kdrl.asp

    --

    > You have some options...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
    >
    > I do this through a SSH tunnel (same link I gave you earlier)...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
    >
    > ...or through a VPN tunnel is also an option...
    >
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "S_OK" <billg@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:eWqGDQ7OFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >> thanks! ok now i have more quesitons:
    >>
    >> i'm using a linksys router and i have various laptops behind it's firewall. I see you have to use
    >> port forwarding, but does this imply I will only be able to get to *one* of my machines at a
    >> time? Because it seems you can only forward to one of the dhcp addresses ... ?
    >> Also, say I reboot the machine i'm forwarding to... it gets a new IP ... do I have to manually go
    >> in there and adjust the port-forwarding settings again?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    >> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> Yes...You can use a dynamic naming service like No-IP.com to assign a fully qualified domain
    >>> name to the PC your trying to call. I use that to call my home PCs...
    >>>
    >>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>>
    >>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>>
    >>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    >>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

Remote Desktop Internet Service Providers Microsoft Windows XP