Question on burning VCD using Nero

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

When burning mpg files to a CD-r in VCD format, does the software have to
convert the .mpg file to a .dat format? Can it be left with the mpg
extension or does the video player need to see the dat extensions?

Another question - Is it prudent to burn at lower speeds? I keep reading
discussions that say it doesn't matter since these are 1's and 0's we're
talking about, and digital is digital - it's not a film developing process
so it doesn't matter.

Should I just burn the mpg files as a data disk, is there any way to create
a menu with Nero that way?

Any recommendations for other software?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

A data disc is fine, if you are just
using a cpu for playback.

xman

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 05:10:01 -0600, Wilbur Post <wilbur@post.com>
wrote:

>When burning mpg files to a CD-r in VCD format, does the software have to
>convert the .mpg file to a .dat format? Can it be left with the mpg
>extension or does the video player need to see the dat extensions?
>
>Another question - Is it prudent to burn at lower speeds? I keep reading
>discussions that say it doesn't matter since these are 1's and 0's we're
>talking about, and digital is digital - it's not a film developing process
>so it doesn't matter.
>

>Should I just burn the mpg files as a data disk, is there any way to create
>a menu with Nero that way?
>
>Any recommendations for other software?

The vcd is a special type of cd: so it is probably necessary that the
..dat type of file is present. You can try however anything you want:
maybe the player accepts it.

It appears that to high burning speeds cause faults the error
correction system can not handle. Probably burning at to high speeds
causes that the system can not determine what to make of the signal
(comming from the disk) and as it has to be made into a logical zero
or a logical one it has to guess. To many guesses after another gives
a result far away from what it has to be, eventually even garbage.

The best thing to do is verify the data after burning. Maybe you lose
some disks, but eventually you will find a burning speed that gives
error free results.

Burning .mpg as data you won't find a player (in hardware) that can
handle it with additional data for menu operations: so Nero doesn't
provide this. (There is no standard it can hold on to.)

However, everything is possible if you program it yourself probably.

wrote:

>When burning mpg files to a CD-r in VCD format, does the software have to
>convert the .mpg file to a .dat format?

Yes. Otherwise, it would not be a VCD.

>Should I just burn the mpg files as a data disk, is there any way to create
>a menu with Nero that way?

No, and no.

If your DVD player can play .mpg files (for instance, all those that
play DivX AVIs also play mpeg files), you can burn them as data. But
it shall not be a VCD, there shall be no chapters, and there shall be
no pretty menu.