Will Pioneer DVD Recorders play DVD+R?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2005 5:42:37 PM

I'm thinking of supplementing my PC-based DVD recording with a standalone
recorder, and I like the Pioneer -- probably the 320-s. They record and play
DVD-R or DVD-RW, which is fine. But I have a lot of DVD+R discs, and may get
more (made by other folks) over time, and my concern is that the Pioneer
standalone recorders don't make any claims to play DVD+R, either on the box
or in their manuals.

I'm hoping that these machines do play most DVD+R discs, but that Pioneer
chooses not to say that they play DVD+R, because of some (hopefully minor)
inconsistencies with how the machines handle DVD+R.

Has anybody had experience playing DVD+R on the Pioneer recorders? I like
the other features on these machines, but I'd hate to need a separate
machine in my system just to play DVD+R.

Thanks for any replies on this.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 5:42:38 PM

"Ted Kerin" <tfkerin@noearthlinkspam.net> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of supplementing my PC-based DVD recording with a standalone
> recorder, and I like the Pioneer -- probably the 320-s. They record and
> play DVD-R or DVD-RW, which is fine. But I have a lot of DVD+R discs, and
> may get more (made by other folks) over time, and my concern is that the
> Pioneer standalone recorders don't make any claims to play DVD+R, either
> on the box or in their manuals.
>
> I'm hoping that these machines do play most DVD+R discs, but that Pioneer
> chooses not to say that they play DVD+R, because of some (hopefully minor)
> inconsistencies with how the machines handle DVD+R.
>
> Has anybody had experience playing DVD+R on the Pioneer recorders? I like
> the other features on these machines, but I'd hate to need a separate
> machine in my system just to play DVD+R.
>
> Thanks for any replies on this.

I have a Pioneer DVR-225. It records DVD -R/RW - but it plays both formats
with no problem (+ and -).

The easiest way for you to check on the model you're interested in is to see
if the store will allow you to play a +r on one of their display models
(that's what I did at Best Buy)

--
Nigel Brooks>
Anonymous

> I have a Pioneer DVR-225. It records DVD -R/RW - but it plays both
formats
> with no problem (+ and -).
>
> The easiest way for you to check on the model you're interested in is to
see
> if the store will allow you to play a +r on one of their display models
> (that's what I did at Best Buy)
>
> --

That's great news, Nigel. If the DVR-225 can do it, I'm thinking it's likely
that Pioneer kept the same functionality for the 320.

And I'll ask if my local Best Buy is wired for an in-store experiment --
sounds like the ideal way to check, if they can do it.
Related resources
March 28, 2005 6:47:20 PM

"Ted Kerin" <tfkerin@noearthlinkspam.net> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of supplementing my PC-based DVD recording with a standalone
> recorder, and I like the Pioneer -- probably the 320-s. They record and
> play DVD-R or DVD-RW, which is fine. But I have a lot of DVD+R discs, and
> may get more (made by other folks) over time, and my concern is that the
> Pioneer standalone recorders don't make any claims to play DVD+R, either
> on the box or in their manuals.
>
> I'm hoping that these machines do play most DVD+R discs, but that Pioneer
> chooses not to say that they play DVD+R, because of some (hopefully minor)
> inconsistencies with how the machines handle DVD+R.
>
> Has anybody had experience playing DVD+R on the Pioneer recorders? I like
> the other features on these machines, but I'd hate to need a separate
> machine in my system just to play DVD+R.
>
> Thanks for any replies on this.

Hi Ted,

Here's a link where you can review the models and get direct information:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/hec/category/0,,2...

Hal Lowe
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formna... (e-mail)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)
http://1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (Best website host/great prices)
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 6:47:21 PM

Thanks for the reply, Hal. Actually, I had already checked the Pioneer
site -- even downloaded the complete manual for the DVR-320-S -- and it
doesn't give the answer, except possibly by negative inference, i.e. it
never says that the machine can (or cannot) play DVD+R.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 6:47:21 PM

"Ted Kerin" wrote ...
> I'm thinking of supplementing my PC-based DVD recording with a
> standalone recorder, and I like the Pioneer -- probably the 320-s.
> They record and play DVD-R or DVD-RW, which is fine. But I have a lot
> of DVD+R discs, and may get more (made by other folks) over time, and
> my concern is that the Pioneer standalone recorders don't make any
> claims to play DVD+R, either on the box or in their manuals.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers where you can search
for three different varieties of DVD+ discs.
Hundreds (thousands?) of models are listed along with which
kinds of disks can (or cannot) be read.
!