Will Pioneer DVD Recorders play DVD+R?

I'm thinking of supplementing my PC-based DVD recording with a standalone
recorder, and I like the Pioneer -- probably the 320-s. They record and play
DVD-R or DVD-RW, which is fine. But I have a lot of DVD+R discs, and may get
more (made by other folks) over time, and my concern is that the Pioneer
standalone recorders don't make any claims to play DVD+R, either on the box
or in their manuals.

I'm hoping that these machines do play most DVD+R discs, but that Pioneer
chooses not to say that they play DVD+R, because of some (hopefully minor)
inconsistencies with how the machines handle DVD+R.

Has anybody had experience playing DVD+R on the Pioneer recorders? I like
the other features on these machines, but I'd hate to need a separate
machine in my system just to play DVD+R.

Thanks for any replies on this.
5 answers Last reply
More about will pioneer recorders play

    "Ted Kerin" <tfkerin@noearthlinkspam.net> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking of supplementing my PC-based DVD recording with a standalone
    > recorder, and I like the Pioneer -- probably the 320-s. They record and
    > play DVD-R or DVD-RW, which is fine. But I have a lot of DVD+R discs, and
    > may get more (made by other folks) over time, and my concern is that the
    > Pioneer standalone recorders don't make any claims to play DVD+R, either
    > on the box or in their manuals.
    >
    > I'm hoping that these machines do play most DVD+R discs, but that Pioneer
    > chooses not to say that they play DVD+R, because of some (hopefully minor)
    > inconsistencies with how the machines handle DVD+R.
    >
    > Has anybody had experience playing DVD+R on the Pioneer recorders? I like
    > the other features on these machines, but I'd hate to need a separate
    > machine in my system just to play DVD+R.
    >
    > Thanks for any replies on this.

    I have a Pioneer DVR-225. It records DVD -R/RW - but it plays both formats
    with no problem (+ and -).

    The easiest way for you to check on the model you're interested in is to see
    if the store will allow you to play a +r on one of their display models
    (that's what I did at Best Buy)

    --
    Nigel Brooks>

    > I have a Pioneer DVR-225. It records DVD -R/RW - but it plays both
    formats
    > with no problem (+ and -).
    >
    > The easiest way for you to check on the model you're interested in is to
    see
    > if the store will allow you to play a +r on one of their display models
    > (that's what I did at Best Buy)
    >
    > --

    That's great news, Nigel. If the DVR-225 can do it, I'm thinking it's likely
    that Pioneer kept the same functionality for the 320.

    And I'll ask if my local Best Buy is wired for an in-store experiment --
    sounds like the ideal way to check, if they can do it.

    "Ted Kerin" <tfkerin@noearthlinkspam.net> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking of supplementing my PC-based DVD recording with a standalone
    > recorder, and I like the Pioneer -- probably the 320-s. They record and
    > play DVD-R or DVD-RW, which is fine. But I have a lot of DVD+R discs, and
    > may get more (made by other folks) over time, and my concern is that the
    > Pioneer standalone recorders don't make any claims to play DVD+R, either
    > on the box or in their manuals.
    >
    > I'm hoping that these machines do play most DVD+R discs, but that Pioneer
    > chooses not to say that they play DVD+R, because of some (hopefully minor)
    > inconsistencies with how the machines handle DVD+R.
    >
    > Has anybody had experience playing DVD+R on the Pioneer recorders? I like
    > the other features on these machines, but I'd hate to need a separate
    > machine in my system just to play DVD+R.
    >
    > Thanks for any replies on this.

    Hi Ted,

    Here's a link where you can review the models and get direct information:
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/hec/category/0,,2076_4137,00.html

    Hal Lowe
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email (e-mail)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)
    http://1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (Best website host/great prices)

    Thanks for the reply, Hal. Actually, I had already checked the Pioneer
    site -- even downloaded the complete manual for the DVR-320-S -- and it
    doesn't give the answer, except possibly by negative inference, i.e. it
    never says that the machine can (or cannot) play DVD+R.

    "Ted Kerin" wrote ...
    > I'm thinking of supplementing my PC-based DVD recording with a
    > standalone recorder, and I like the Pioneer -- probably the 320-s.
    > They record and play DVD-R or DVD-RW, which is fine. But I have a lot
    > of DVD+R discs, and may get more (made by other folks) over time, and
    > my concern is that the Pioneer standalone recorders don't make any
    > claims to play DVD+R, either on the box or in their manuals.

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers where you can search
    for three different varieties of DVD+ discs.
    Hundreds (thousands?) of models are listed along with which
    kinds of disks can (or cannot) be read.

Tuner Cards Pioneer DVD Graphics