I need a second RDP connection for my XP machines

To the TS guru out there.

I am looking for a solution to the remote desktop problem that exists on XP
machines when logged into a domain. As I understand it, when running XP, if
you've logged into a domain fast user switching is disabled and hence if a
domain admin logs into a user's XP machine it kicks out the locally logged in
user. I am supporting 100 - 150 production line computers and I'd like to be
able to make a remote desktop connection to each one without having to kick
the users out.

Windows 2003 Server isn't an option and neither are installing third party
tools which allow this (because they're too expensive and I haven't found a
cheap/freeware one). I don't want to use VNC because sometimes people are
working on these workstations and I don't want to take control of their
machine or interrupt their work. I want to open a remote rdp session. The
registry hacks out there don't work on a machine that logs into a domain.

I know there are programs out there that allow an RDP session connection to
an XP machine already logged into a domain, and they work fine but they're
too expensive (i.e. Thinsoft)...

I'd like to code my own solution but I haven't done any thin client
programming with regards to Terminal Services. Can anyone point me in the
right direction on writing a little program in visual studio C++ or VB (5,6
or .Net) that would allow me to open up a second Terminal Server session on
an XP machine which is already logged into a domain?

-Rick IT Pro

You can't.

Well, you CAN, but you're hacking the system, and breaking your licensing
and EULA at the same time.

This is by design.

And realize that programs like Thinsoft also break your licensing and EULA.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Rick IT Pro" <Rick IT Pro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To the TS guru out there.
>
> I am looking for a solution to the remote desktop problem that exists on
> XP
> machines when logged into a domain. As I understand it, when running XP,
> if
> you've logged into a domain fast user switching is disabled and hence if a
> domain admin logs into a user's XP machine it kicks out the locally logged
> in
> user. I am supporting 100 - 150 production line computers and I'd like to
> be
> able to make a remote desktop connection to each one without having to
> kick
> the users out.
>
> Windows 2003 Server isn't an option and neither are installing third party
> tools which allow this (because they're too expensive and I haven't found
> cheap/freeware one). I don't want to use VNC because sometimes people are
> working on these workstations and I don't want to take control of their
> machine or interrupt their work. I want to open a remote rdp session. The
> registry hacks out there don't work on a machine that logs into a domain.
>
> I know there are programs out there that allow an RDP session connection
> an XP machine already logged into a domain, and they work fine but they're
> too expensive (i.e. Thinsoft)...
>
> I'd like to code my own solution but I haven't done any thin client
> programming with regards to Terminal Services. Can anyone point me in the
> right direction on writing a little program in visual studio C++ or VB
> (5,6
> or .Net) that would allow me to open up a second Terminal Server session
> on
> an XP machine which is already logged into a domain?
>
> -Rick IT Pro

I didn't know that. I figured that they had some sort of a special agreement
with Microsoft. I guess I'll have to go with something like Citrix.