splitting a WMV file?

Can I take an existing .wmv file and edit it (mainly split it into
smaller pieces)?

Thanks, Ron
5 answers Last reply
More about splitting file

    Windows Movie Maker in XP will do it. The program is a little strange, that
    is if you have used other NLE software before, in that when a video is
    imported it breaks it up into several smaller chunks as it places the entire
    video within the interface. Whether you can cut one of these segments to
    match the exact length of the video you want I do not know. I just open it
    from time to time in order to attempt to assist others with basic questions
    about the program.

    --
    Larry Johnson
    Digital Video Solutions

    <rkwlam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Can I take an existing .wmv file and edit it (mainly split it into
    > smaller pieces)?
    >
    > Thanks, Ron

    For a freeware solution look at ASFTools from
    http://www.geocities.com/myasftools/?200529

    A more professional piece of software is Easy Video Splitter from
    http://www.doeasier.org/splitter/ - but it's not freeware.

    Martin.

    Thanks Larry and Martin. I've got Windows Movie Maker and just
    downloaded ASFTools and I'll give them a try.

    Ron

    > Thanks Larry and Martin. I've got Windows Movie Maker and just
    > downloaded ASFTools and I'll give them a try.

    Just wanted to report back that I tried both Movie Maker and asfTools
    last night. It was fairly easy to split my wmv files with Movie Maker
    but when I went to save it, it looked like the program wanted to
    rerender the files. Seems that that would lose quality and since I can
    just as easily split them in the AVI originals it would seem to make
    more sense to go back and do it there if I need to rerender.

    I had problems trying to figure out how to use asfTools. First I
    couldn't figure out how to rapidly move to the point where I wanted to
    make the cut. Also the program kept getting hung up and having to be
    aborted. What am I missing?

    Ron

    >> Thanks Larry and Martin. I've got Windows Movie Maker and just
    >> downloaded ASFTools and I'll give them a try.
    >
    > Just wanted to report back that I tried both Movie Maker and asfTools
    > last night. It was fairly easy to split my wmv files with Movie Maker
    > but when I went to save it, it looked like the program wanted to
    > rerender the files. Seems that that would lose quality and since I can
    > just as easily split them in the AVI originals it would seem to make
    > more sense to go back and do it there if I need to rerender.
    >
    > I had problems trying to figure out how to use asfTools. First I
    > couldn't figure out how to rapidly move to the point where I wanted to
    > make the cut. Also the program kept getting hung up and having to be
    > aborted. What am I missing?
    >
    > Ron

    You got mail...!

    Martin.