splitting a WMV file?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 29, 2005 1:39:52 AM

Can I take an existing .wmv file and edit it (mainly split it into
smaller pieces)?

Thanks, Ron

More about : splitting wmv file

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 11:47:18 AM

Windows Movie Maker in XP will do it. The program is a little strange, that
is if you have used other NLE software before, in that when a video is
imported it breaks it up into several smaller chunks as it places the entire
video within the interface. Whether you can cut one of these segments to
match the exact length of the video you want I do not know. I just open it
from time to time in order to attempt to assist others with basic questions
about the program.

--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

<rkwlam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can I take an existing .wmv file and edit it (mainly split it into
> smaller pieces)?
>
> Thanks, Ron

For a freeware solution look at ASFTools from
http://www.geocities.com/myasftools/?200529

A more professional piece of software is Easy Video Splitter from
http://www.doeasier.org/splitter/ - but it's not freeware.

Martin.
March 29, 2005 10:51:39 PM

Thanks Larry and Martin. I've got Windows Movie Maker and just
downloaded ASFTools and I'll give them a try.

Ron
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:36:40 AM

> Thanks Larry and Martin. I've got Windows Movie Maker and just
> downloaded ASFTools and I'll give them a try.

Just wanted to report back that I tried both Movie Maker and asfTools
last night. It was fairly easy to split my wmv files with Movie Maker
but when I went to save it, it looked like the program wanted to
rerender the files. Seems that that would lose quality and since I can
just as easily split them in the AVI originals it would seem to make
more sense to go back and do it there if I need to rerender.

I had problems trying to figure out how to use asfTools. First I
couldn't figure out how to rapidly move to the point where I wanted to
make the cut. Also the program kept getting hung up and having to be
aborted. What am I missing?

Ron
March 31, 2005 8:30:02 PM

>> Thanks Larry and Martin. I've got Windows Movie Maker and just
>> downloaded ASFTools and I'll give them a try.
>
> Just wanted to report back that I tried both Movie Maker and asfTools
> last night. It was fairly easy to split my wmv files with Movie Maker
> but when I went to save it, it looked like the program wanted to
> rerender the files. Seems that that would lose quality and since I can
> just as easily split them in the AVI originals it would seem to make
> more sense to go back and do it there if I need to rerender.
>
> I had problems trying to figure out how to use asfTools. First I
> couldn't figure out how to rapidly move to the point where I wanted to
> make the cut. Also the program kept getting hung up and having to be
> aborted. What am I missing?
>
> Ron

You got mail...!

Martin.