STEAM - It's a WindowsXP Application. OFFICIAL

I've just been looking at the properties of some of the critical .dll files
in the Steam folder.

Most of the .dlls have no properties set. But one does that gives the whole
game away as to what API/platform Steam is reliant on.

File : dbghelp.dll (relating to dbg.dll)
Version: 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Copyright: Microsoft.

Note 'xpsp1'.
WindowsXP service pack 1.

Older Windows version users better upgrade now!
It would have been nice if Valve had bothered to warn older windows version
users that they based Steam on XP specific API libraries and that anything
else would be unstable.
I just knew it was a Microsoft/Gabe Newell back room deal to coerce people
to buy XP by making older systems unstable under Steam. Sneaky.

Suks!

Uzi

Footnote: Steampowered requirements:

Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP
64 MB RAM
400 Mhz processor
1GB HD space (strongly recommended)
Broadband Internet connection (recommended but not required)

It is also recommended that Steam be installed on a hard disk formatted
using NTFS. (Now we know why eh?) Fat32 drives will work, but performance
will be slower.
4 answers Last reply
More about steam windowsxp application official

    "Uzi" <rapandrandb@suks.com> wrote in

    > Most of the .dlls have no properties set. But one does that gives the
    > whole game away as to what API/platform Steam is reliant on.
    >
    > File : dbghelp.dll (relating to dbg.dll)
    > Version: 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    > Copyright: Microsoft.
    >
    > Note 'xpsp1'.
    > WindowsXP service pack 1.
    >
    > Older Windows version users better upgrade now!

    "Overview
    This download contains the redistributable file dbghelp.dll

    System Requirements

    Supported Operating Systems: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT
    Microsoft Windows NT® version 4.0 (Professional or Server), Windows 95 or
    Windows 98."

    "Platform SDK: Debugging and Error Handling

    DbgHelp Versions

    The DbgHelp library is implemented by DbgHelp.dll. This DLL is included
    with Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and later. To use this DLL on earlier
    systems, such as Windows NT® 4.0, Windows Me, Windows 98, and Windows 95,
    you can distribute the DLL with your application."

    Duh.

    "Gurunot" <jx4-7lids3n5g@b0gus.com> wrote in

    > Yeah it will 'Run' but don't expect it to do anything reliably for very
    > long. That's a FACT.

    Yet I ran it usefully on my (well-configured) Win 98 box. Go figure.

    > I rest my case.

    Much better idea than spreading FUD based on misapprehended "facts".

    ratzilla <ratzilla@punkass.com> wrote in message
    > "Gurunot" <jx4-7lids3n5g@b0gus.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Yeah it will 'Run' but don't expect it to do anything reliably for very
    > > long. That's a FACT.
    >
    > Yet I ran it usefully on my (well-configured) Win 98 box. Go figure.
    >
    > > I rest my case.
    >
    > Much better idea than spreading FUD based on misapprehended "facts".

    Did you actually read any of my post? Not just the first and last lines,
    that you responded to.
    Clue ...the last one from me in this thread contained many Steam FACTS, if
    you actually bothered to read it!

    You ran Steam 'usefully' on win98? Congratulations. So have I.
    Why are you sticking up for Steam? It's rubbish and deserves a slating for
    all its problems, limitations and the wasted time and frustration that its
    caused CS players everywhere.
    BTW after a week of hassle mine seems to be working ok now, fingers crossed.

    Uzi
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    > mine seems to be working ok now

    Chuckle.

Games Steam DLL Video Games