Can't connect until remote computer logged in....

Hi guys,

I have a PC which boots with no screen or keyboard or mouse to the
welcome screen in XP.

I have another computer connected by network to the PC with no screen
etc.

I want to be able to log in via the network. Now I have managed to
successfully log in to the remote PC via the network when someone is
already logged on, but if the remote PC has been freshly booted, I
cant connect until someone first logs on (which i cant do until a
keyboard etc is connected).

I tried making it so that XP bypasses the welcome screen and loads up
XP at startup into a default login, but that didnt work either.

I am assuming the the remote service is not started until someone
first logs on and that this is my problem?

Anyone know how to fix this?

Cheers

-Al
2 answers Last reply
More about connect remote computer logged

    In my case the computers are connected by a crosseover cable - so thats
    about as simple as a network can be.

    I tried the same client computer with another PC and it worked fine!!

    Somehow the complication must be caused the particular server that I am
    using (which incidentially is a laptop).

    Will try it again and see if perhaps it was just a once off??????

    -Al

    You may have already noticed that a similar thread by TFredrickson, "Remote
    Not working while not logged in" is describing a similar situation. What is
    interesting is that both of you are describing the problem condition from
    the point of view of establishing RDC from the "network" which I have
    interpreted to mean that the client PC is not on the same network as the
    host, in other words, not on the same side of the router, or maybe in other
    words, the host is on the local network and the client on the Internet. I
    have been able to duplicate the problem with two pcs on the local network
    which should reduce the chance that the router/firewall is filtering
    traffic.
    You make an interesting suggestion that maybe the first successful RDC
    logon (other than your own) cuses the RDC service to start. My tests
    suggest that it does not have to be an RDC logon that triggers the RDC
    service "to start". Simply a local logon will accomplish the same thing.
    Can you confirm this in your setup?
    Your observation got me thinking. Have a read of the other thread and let
    us know what the start status of your host terminal service is. Is it set
    for Manual or Automatic start?

Connection Computers Windows XP