Need help with video solution. Now!

At work, the industrial CCD camera we use for wafer inspection purposes
doesn't do the job. My superior has given me the task (a non-video guy)
of finding a consumer level solution that will fill the following
needs:

1. It must be able to show a live picture on a PC monitor.
2. Have very high resolution, 4-5 Meg.
3. At least 20X optical zoom, with a capability to attach another zoom
lens on the filter ring.
4. The picture must be transmitted digitally using possibly FireWire?
Is USB 2.0 a digital format? He thinks if the data loop is kept
completely digital, there will be little loss of signal integrity.
5. Have a remote control to affect zoom, and possibly focus too.

This doesn't necessarily need to be a camcorder. Also my research so
far show that he's looking for pie in the sky. I'd appreciate any help
or direction with this problem.
Big E

"Big E" <bige1956@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> At work, the industrial CCD camera we use for wafer inspection purposes
> doesn't do the job. My superior has given me the task (a non-video guy)
> of finding a consumer level solution that will fill the following
> needs:
>
> 1. It must be able to show a live picture on a PC monitor.
> 2. Have very high resolution, 4-5 Meg.
> 3. At least 20X optical zoom, with a capability to attach another zoom
> lens on the filter ring.
> 4. The picture must be transmitted digitally using possibly FireWire?
> Is USB 2.0 a digital format? He thinks if the data loop is kept
> completely digital, there will be little loss of signal integrity.
> 5. Have a remote control to affect zoom, and possibly focus too.
>
> This doesn't necessarily need to be a camcorder. Also my research so
> far show that he's looking for pie in the sky. I'd appreciate any help
> or direction with this problem.
> Big E

The Sony VX2100 satisfies most of your criteria. It does not have
interchangeable lenses, but it will take screw-on adaptors to increase
telephoto range. Note that the Sony PD150 is essentially the same camera
with some audio section enhancements that are not applicable for your
purpose. However, I mention the PD150 because it is commonly available for
rent at commercial film & video supply houses. At about $150- $200 a day,
this may be a way for you to check the camera for suitability before making
a $2500 purchase (the VX2100).

Another choice, the Canon XL2, is a more expensive alternative. It uses
change-able accessory lenses, which may help achieve the results you desire.
This camera and its lenses are also available many places for rent. The XL2
is a more expensive solution than the Sony, selling for $4500 give or take.

Both cameras have IEEE1394 outputs. With suitable software, both can be
displayed on a PC.

Happy experimenting.

Steve King

"Big E" <bige1956@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> At work, the industrial CCD camera we use for wafer inspection purposes
> doesn't do the job. My superior has given me the task (a non-video guy)
> of finding a consumer level solution that will fill the following
> needs:
>
> 1. It must be able to show a live picture on a PC monitor.
> 2. Have very high resolution, 4-5 Meg.
> 3. At least 20X optical zoom, with a capability to attach another zoom
> lens on the filter ring.
> 4. The picture must be transmitted digitally using possibly FireWire?
> Is USB 2.0 a digital format? He thinks if the data loop is kept
> completely digital, there will be little loss of signal integrity.
> 5. Have a remote control to affect zoom, and possibly focus too.
>
> This doesn't necessarily need to be a camcorder. Also my research so
> far show that he's looking for pie in the sky. I'd appreciate any help
> or direction with this problem.
> Big E

Try a Canon XL2 or Panasonic DVX100 or maybe even a Sony VX2100.

Unless that's overkill.

Tom P.

There are a TON of GREAT cameras just for this. With firewire and USB
output. Go to Edmund Scientific and browse their cameras. You'll have
problems with any commercial camera as far as focus, auto shutoff, mounting,
etc... Even a google of industrial / inspection cameras will be helpful.

Part of my job is dealing with wafers and custom semis that we develop. I
have seen some of these cameras and they are pretty good.

"Big E" <bige1956@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> At work, the industrial CCD camera we use for wafer inspection purposes
> doesn't do the job. My superior has given me the task (a non-video guy)
> of finding a consumer level solution that will fill the following
> needs:
>
> 1. It must be able to show a live picture on a PC monitor.
> 2. Have very high resolution, 4-5 Meg.
> 3. At least 20X optical zoom, with a capability to attach another zoom
> lens on the filter ring.
> 4. The picture must be transmitted digitally using possibly FireWire?
> Is USB 2.0 a digital format? He thinks if the data loop is kept
> completely digital, there will be little loss of signal integrity.
> 5. Have a remote control to affect zoom, and possibly focus too.
>
> This doesn't necessarily need to be a camcorder. Also my research so
> far show that he's looking for pie in the sky. I'd appreciate any help
> or direction with this problem.
> Big E

not to mention.. you really can NOT do wafer inspections with a consumer
camera!

And .. since you seem to not need record features...