offline files and vpn

I have the 'My Documents' folder on my Windows XP Service Pack 2 laptop

redirected to a network folder. The folder is set up for offline use.

When I am in the office, I am able to use the 'My Documents' folder, as

well as access the server it is on, without issue. However, when I
leave the office I start to have issues. They are as follows:

- I sync the folder and it tells me that everything is synced.
However, when I am offline, things that should be available to me are
not there.
- When I boot up the system offline, logon, and then run a VPN client
(Cisco VPN software) to connect to my company, I make a successful VPN
connection but cannot sync my files; no matter what I do, I am always
told that the 'My Documents' folder and the server it resides on are
offline. I have full access to all other systems I would want to get
to when connected via VPN except for this one server.
- When connected via VPN and told that I am 'offline', I can browse to
the server in question, and then only see a limited number of folders
than what I should be seeing. In the process of doing this, I will be
prompted by Windows for a username and password. When I put my
username and password in, they are not accepted.
- I know this configuration and what I am attempting to do should work,

as I used it successfully up until about 4 months ago when I rebuilt my

laptop from scratch. Ever since rebuilding the system, I have not been

able to work offline and then sync via VPN.
- When in my office, I have turned off offline access, removed my
system from the domain, synced the domain, then added my system back in

and turned offline files back on again. I cleared out all existing
offline files in the process of doing this and then did a resync. This

did not solve the problem.

Any thoughts to solve this would be appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about offline files

    I am surprised you have not had an answer to your question. I think your
    problem is in a way similar to mine however, I do not use the VPN. I have a
    user who has directed "My Documents" folder to a network share (this is
    actually a GPO pushed by our Small Business Server 2003), it appears to
    successfully synchronize when he logs off or manually initiates a sync.
    However, when offline some of the files are not visible and some cannot be
    opened or written to. He receives and error that the file is read only.
    OS is XP Pro.

    I noticed after doing some reading that the files are stored in a hidden
    directory “CSC� in the Windows directory. It also appears that the files are
    hashed and cannot be read them from this folder.

    I was able to eliminate the read only error. When I viewed the directory
    permissions of the CSC folder I noticed that although the administrators
    group was in the list, there were no inherited or assigned permissions to the
    group. Just for grins and since I had not received any response to my post,
    I figured what do I have to loose. I assigned full control to the local
    admin group on the CSC folder, resynchronized the files, took the PC off line
    and low and behold, the files could be read and written to. Go figure.

    As far as your VPN issue. I have noticed when a VPN is established from WAN
    to LAN, a network share that would normally be accessed as
    \\(netBIOS)servername\sharename must now be accessed
    \\servername.domainname.local(or whatever your net admin has
    configured)\sharename. To avoid this you can modify your local host file to
    point to the sever IP. To test, when connected to the VPN attempt to ping
    just the server name, then just type the UNC name in the RUN command and see
    if the network share appears. I think this should resolve your VPN issue.
    It may also help to allow "file and print sharing" on the firewalled
    connecting of your laptop.

    Good Luck

    "boguhn@entelos.com" wrote:

    > I have the 'My Documents' folder on my Windows XP Service Pack 2 laptop
    >
    > redirected to a network folder. The folder is set up for offline use.
    >

    > When I am in the office, I am able to use the 'My Documents' folder, as
    >
    > well as access the server it is on, without issue. However, when I
    > leave the office I start to have issues. They are as follows:
    >

    > - I sync the folder and it tells me that everything is synced.
    > However, when I am offline, things that should be available to me are
    > not there.
    > - When I boot up the system offline, logon, and then run a VPN client
    > (Cisco VPN software) to connect to my company, I make a successful VPN
    > connection but cannot sync my files; no matter what I do, I am always
    > told that the 'My Documents' folder and the server it resides on are
    > offline. I have full access to all other systems I would want to get
    > to when connected via VPN except for this one server.
    > - When connected via VPN and told that I am 'offline', I can browse to
    > the server in question, and then only see a limited number of folders
    > than what I should be seeing. In the process of doing this, I will be
    > prompted by Windows for a username and password. When I put my
    > username and password in, they are not accepted.
    > - I know this configuration and what I am attempting to do should work,
    >
    > as I used it successfully up until about 4 months ago when I rebuilt my
    >
    > laptop from scratch. Ever since rebuilding the system, I have not been
    >
    > able to work offline and then sync via VPN.
    > - When in my office, I have turned off offline access, removed my
    > system from the domain, synced the domain, then added my system back in
    >
    > and turned offline files back on again. I cleared out all existing
    > offline files in the process of doing this and then did a resync. This
    >
    > did not solve the problem.
    >

    > Any thoughts to solve this would be appreciated.

    Perhaps try establishing the VPN connection PRIOR to logging into your
    machine. With the Cisco VPN client, one can enable a setting "Enable start
    before logon":

    Options >> Windows Logon Properties

    check the box next to "Enable start before logon"

    Then, reboot your computer, and once you press ctrl-alt-del to log on, you
    will be presented with a smaller version of the Cisco VPN client. Choose
    the appropriate connection, connect, and THEN log onto your machine in the
    usual way. This will allow your computer to be on the LAN at the time of
    logon, enabling all of the nice things like logon scripts, DNS registration,
    etc., to happen as they normally would if you were physically on the office
    LAN.

    I can't speak specifically to your offline folder issues, but I have a
    feeling that this might alleviate it by circumventing the situation
    altogether.

    - Eric McWhorter

    <boguhn@entelos.com> wrote in message
    >I have the 'My Documents' folder on my Windows XP Service Pack 2 laptop
    >
    > redirected to a network folder. The folder is set up for offline use.
    >

    > When I am in the office, I am able to use the 'My Documents' folder, as
    >
    > well as access the server it is on, without issue. However, when I
    > leave the office I start to have issues. They are as follows:
    >

    > - I sync the folder and it tells me that everything is synced.
    > However, when I am offline, things that should be available to me are
    > not there.
    > - When I boot up the system offline, logon, and then run a VPN client
    > (Cisco VPN software) to connect to my company, I make a successful VPN
    > connection but cannot sync my files; no matter what I do, I am always
    > told that the 'My Documents' folder and the server it resides on are
    > offline. I have full access to all other systems I would want to get
    > to when connected via VPN except for this one server.
    > - When connected via VPN and told that I am 'offline', I can browse to
    > the server in question, and then only see a limited number of folders
    > than what I should be seeing. In the process of doing this, I will be
    > prompted by Windows for a username and password. When I put my
    > username and password in, they are not accepted.
    > - I know this configuration and what I am attempting to do should work,
    >
    > as I used it successfully up until about 4 months ago when I rebuilt my
    >
    > laptop from scratch. Ever since rebuilding the system, I have not been
    >
    > able to work offline and then sync via VPN.
    > - When in my office, I have turned off offline access, removed my
    > system from the domain, synced the domain, then added my system back in
    >
    > and turned offline files back on again. I cleared out all existing
    > offline files in the process of doing this and then did a resync. This
    >
    > did not solve the problem.
    >

    > Any thoughts to solve this would be appreciated.

VPN My Documents Windows XP