What speed SD card for canon IXUS 40 ?

In the manual for my camera, canon seems to recommend a particular SD
card so that it's fast enough to store high quality movies without
running into speed limitations.

It says to use a high speed card, SDC-512MSH recommended.

Well, I have no idea what they think is high speed. Is 45x high speed ?
66x? 150x ? I haven't been able to find any information on what speed
that recommended card is. The only useful sites on google seem to be in
Japanese.

Does anyone know what speed card is good enough for the camera - such
that any higher speed is wasted ?

For instance, if a 66x speed SD card is good enough for the camera to
record at maximum resolution, maximum frames per second movies without
limitation, and if you're not going to get any more frames per second in
continuous shooting still mode, then there's no point getting a 150x
speed SD card, correct ?

How about the speed of reading from the SD card, across USB to the PC ?
Will a faster SD card speed up the process ? At what speed is a
faster SD card a waste ?

What is the maximum speed that this camera can actually read and write
to an SD card ? It's not in the camera specifications.

Thanks for any help...

Chris
9 answers Last reply
More about what speed card canon ixus

    "Chris Severn" <severn@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > In the manual for my camera, canon seems to recommend a particular SD card
    > so that it's fast enough to store high quality movies without running into
    > speed limitations.
    >
    > It says to use a high speed card, SDC-512MSH recommended.

    If it has the words "High Speed" in the description then it is a High Speed
    card.
    Otherwise it is normal speed.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1 wrote:
    > "Chris Severn" <severn@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    >
    >>In the manual for my camera, canon seems to recommend a particular SD card
    >>so that it's fast enough to store high quality movies without running into
    >>speed limitations.
    >>
    >>It says to use a high speed card, SDC-512MSH recommended.
    >

    > If it has the words "High Speed" in the description then it is a High Speed
    > card.
    > Otherwise it is normal speed.

    OK, so you're saying that the manufacturers actually all use the correct
    terminology to refer to particular speeds of cards, and that they don't
    just use whatever term they feel like, and refer to their cards as "high
    speed" even though they're not as fast as their competitors that also
    advertise theirs as "high speed".

    And the "high speed" that Canon is talking about is the same "high
    speed" as the manufacturers use.

    That's good.

    So, any idea if getting a card faster than my camera needs will actually
    help in any way - like improving the speed that the pictures download
    across USB ? I figure that if a 66x card is high speed, and is 10Mbps
    (I've seen both those figures on a card), then that's going to be the
    limiting factor when downloading over USB2, which can go up to 480Mbps.

    If the canon camera can support the ultra speed 150x SD card, then
    that'll better than halve my download times, correct ?

    So, does anyone have any idea what the maximum speed of the canon is
    when talking to the SD card ?

    Thanks,

    Chris

    > CSM1 wrote:
    >> "Chris Severn" <severn@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>In the manual for my camera, canon seems to recommend a particular SD
    >>>card so that it's fast enough to store high quality movies without
    >>>running into speed limitations.
    >>>
    >>>It says to use a high speed card, SDC-512MSH recommended.
    >>

    >> If it has the words "High Speed" in the description then it is a High
    >> Speed card.
    >> Otherwise it is normal speed.
    >>
    > OK, so you're saying that the manufacturers actually all use the correct
    > terminology to refer to particular speeds of cards, and that they don't
    > just use whatever term they feel like, and refer to their cards as "high
    > speed" even though they're not as fast as their competitors that also
    > advertise theirs as "high speed".
    >
    > And the "high speed" that Canon is talking about is the same "high speed"
    > as the manufacturers use.
    >
    > That's good.
    >
    > So, any idea if getting a card faster than my camera needs will actually
    > help in any way - like improving the speed that the pictures download
    > across USB ? I figure that if a 66x card is high speed, and is 10Mbps
    > (I've seen both those figures on a card), then that's going to be the
    > limiting factor when downloading over USB2, which can go up to 480Mbps.
    >
    > If the canon camera can support the ultra speed 150x SD card, then that'll
    > better than halve my download times, correct ?
    >
    > So, does anyone have any idea what the maximum speed of the canon is when
    > talking to the SD card ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chris

    The sales department of all manufacturers seem to inflate their claims, but
    some terms can not be inflated.

    Your camera will only use whatever speed the controller built into the
    camera can operate at, putting in a faster memory will not speed up a memory
    transfer if the controller in the camera is designed for slower memory. If
    the camera has a USB 1.1 controller (a lot of cameras do), then the maximum
    speed of file transfer is 12 Mbits per sec or about 1.5 MB per sec.

    The best way to get a fast image transfer is to use a Card reader.
    USB 2.0 card readers are cheap, you can find them for as little a $5-10 some
    places.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    | > The only useful sites on google
    use Yahoo. Google calls itself an engine, this is stupid.

    | > speed of reading from the SD card, across USB to the PC ?
    Sandra, or *Disk chckr from www.rssoftlab.com , can tell you this speed.
    My PenDrive 512mb ( via Apacer's reader, on USB2 ) hit 7800 kb/s in *.

    | > Will a faster SD card speed up the process ?
    I believe no.
    Chk 1st whether camera's reader is as good as an external 1. My FX7's is not.
    Sandra www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/ 's ports information page
    can report your camera / card reader's attributes, e.g.
    < Root Hub: USB Port 2 >
    Device Connected to Port: USB Mass Storage Device
    OEM Device Name: Alcor Micro Corp. ??? (6369)
    Device Version: 1.19
    Device ID: VEN_058F, DEV_6369, PRT_00
    USB Version: 2.00
    Speed: Full (12Mbps)
    Configuration Settings: 1
    Open Pipes: 2
    Transfer Type: Bulk
    Data Packet Size: 64 bytes

    | > At what speed is a faster SD card a waste ?
    www.sdcard.com/europe/TextPage.asp?Page=2 says max speed is 10 mb/s, so
    claims of higher speed may be bluffs, or possible only in their own over
    clocked card readers.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Chris Severn wrote:
    > In the manual for my camera, canon seems to recommend a particular SD
    > card so that it's fast enough to store high quality movies without
    > running into speed limitations.
    >
    > It says to use a high speed card, SDC-512MSH recommended.
    >
    > Well, I have no idea what they think is high speed. Is 45x high
    > speed ? 66x? 150x ? I haven't been able to find any information on
    > what speed that recommended card is. The only useful sites on google
    > seem to be in Japanese.
    >
    > Does anyone know what speed card is good enough for the camera - such
    > that any higher speed is wasted ?
    >
    > For instance, if a 66x speed SD card is good enough for the camera to
    > record at maximum resolution, maximum frames per second movies without
    > limitation, and if you're not going to get any more frames per second
    > in continuous shooting still mode, then there's no point getting a
    > 150x speed SD card, correct ?
    >
    > How about the speed of reading from the SD card, across USB to the PC
    > ? Will a faster SD card speed up the process ? At what speed is a
    > faster SD card a waste ?
    >
    > What is the maximum speed that this camera can actually read and write
    > to an SD card ? It's not in the camera specifications.
    >
    > Thanks for any help...
    >
    > Chris

    just see in your manual how much of space is one second of a movie - for
    instance S2 at 640x480 at 30 fps takes 1980 kbytes per second, while at 15
    fps takes 990 kbytes per sec, then at 320x240 needs 660 vs. 330 kbytes per
    second (30 vs. 15 fps). So card must be capable of taking 2M per second
    minimal. Since 1x speed of a card means 150 kbytes per second, it's easy to
    calculate which speed you need...for instance in my case 1980/150 ---> with
    some reserve at least 20x speed. If you have less quality movies in your
    camera, any card will do. In that case look for quality, not speed, so in
    any case don't buy cheapest one (i think some SanDisk Ultra II is quite
    perfect).
    These ultra speeds are more needed at pro cameras, where they can make over
    10 shots per second, and in this case card really needs to be quick in order
    to receive that fast data-
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    TE Cheah wrote:
    >>> The only useful sites on google
    > use Yahoo. Google calls itself an engine, this is stupid.
    >
    >>> speed of reading from the SD card, across USB to the PC ?
    > Sandra, or *Disk chckr from www.rssoftlab.com , can tell you this
    > speed.
    > My PenDrive 512mb ( via Apacer's reader, on USB2 ) hit 7800 kb/s in *.
    >
    >>> Will a faster SD card speed up the process ?
    > I believe no.
    > Chk 1st whether camera's reader is as good as an external 1. My FX7's
    > is not. Sandra www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/ 's ports
    > information page
    > can report your camera / card reader's attributes, e.g.
    > < Root Hub: USB Port 2 >
    > Device Connected to Port: USB Mass Storage Device
    > OEM Device Name: Alcor Micro Corp. ??? (6369)
    > Device Version: 1.19
    > Device ID: VEN_058F, DEV_6369,
    > PRT_00 USB Version: 2.00
    > Speed: Full (12Mbps)
    > Configuration Settings: 1
    > Open Pipes: 2
    > Transfer Type: Bulk
    > Data Packet Size: 64 bytes
    >
    >>> At what speed is a faster SD card a waste ?
    > www.sdcard.com/europe/TextPage.asp?Page=2 says max speed is 10 mb/s,
    > so claims of higher speed may be bluffs, or possible only in their
    > own over clocked card readers.

    OK, so someone wrote that this is max speed, and you already believe it?
    First see some other reviews of latest cards (like SanDisk Extreme) and you
    will see practical write and read tests (not ones by manufacturer), which
    exceed 10 M rate. Not all testers are liars...
    It is a question though WHO actually needs such speed at the moment? Since
    best cameras who can make big number of shots in a second would need it, but
    instead have big internal memory buffer (like canon's MarkII has 512 M
    buffer) and they transfer pics to a card when you release the shutter... i
    think you can make up to 30 shots in a series max, so, Canon doesn't even
    bother TRYING to transfer data that fast, since probably noone really needs
    it. Note that in max speed of transfer card would be full in a few seconds.
    Who would exchange cards every couple of seconds? This high speed will be
    usable in the future, when cards will be bigger (like 16, 32G) and cameras
    way better.

    Hi speed card may be a waste, but in real world normally you buy a quality
    card, so loosing your pics is less possible. And buying quality cards in the
    same time means buying higher speed one...So, you just can't buy a quality
    slow card. OK, i bought SanDisk Ultra II 1G one...i didn't even look at
    speed, only quality....
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    SleeperMan wrote:
    > Chris Severn wrote:
    >
    >>In the manual for my camera, canon seems to recommend a particular SD
    >>card so that it's fast enough to store high quality movies without
    >>running into speed limitations.
    >>
    >>It says to use a high speed card, SDC-512MSH recommended.
    >>
    >>Well, I have no idea what they think is high speed. Is 45x high
    >>speed ? 66x? 150x ? I haven't been able to find any information on
    >>what speed that recommended card is. The only useful sites on google
    >>seem to be in Japanese.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know what speed card is good enough for the camera - such
    >>that any higher speed is wasted ?
    >>
    >>For instance, if a 66x speed SD card is good enough for the camera to
    >>record at maximum resolution, maximum frames per second movies without
    >>limitation, and if you're not going to get any more frames per second
    >>in continuous shooting still mode, then there's no point getting a
    >>150x speed SD card, correct ?
    >>
    >>How about the speed of reading from the SD card, across USB to the PC
    >> ? Will a faster SD card speed up the process ? At what speed is a
    >>faster SD card a waste ?
    >>
    >>What is the maximum speed that this camera can actually read and write
    >>to an SD card ? It's not in the camera specifications.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any help...
    >>
    >>Chris
    >

    > just see in your manual how much of space is one second of a movie - for
    > instance S2 at 640x480 at 30 fps takes 1980 kbytes per second, while at 15
    > fps takes 990 kbytes per sec, then at 320x240 needs 660 vs. 330 kbytes per
    > second (30 vs. 15 fps). So card must be capable of taking 2M per second
    > minimal. Since 1x speed of a card means 150 kbytes per second, it's easy to
    > calculate which speed you need...for instance in my case 1980/150 ---> with
    > some reserve at least 20x speed. If you have less quality movies in your
    > camera, any card will do. In that case look for quality, not speed, so in
    > any case don't buy cheapest one (i think some SanDisk Ultra II is quite
    > perfect).
    > These ultra speeds are more needed at pro cameras, where they can make over
    > 10 shots per second, and in this case card really needs to be quick in order
    > to receive that fast data-

    Cool, great advice thanks.

    I get about 7 or 8 seconds of 640x480/30fps (the best my cam can do) on
    my provided 16MB card, so that looks like about 2MB/s, same as you
    quoted for your camera.

    So, as you say, anything better than 20x speed will suite me fine.

    I'll get a 66x (probably sandisk ultra 2) and not look back.

    Chris
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Good choice. Good, reliable card--

Cameras SD Card Canon Peripherals