Wireless printer problem

I have a home wifi network with a win2000 desktop, a WinXP SP2 notebook, and
an HP 2510 wireless network printer. Recently, out of the blue, I am unable
to print and get the following message:

"The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This can be
caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being unplugged, or being
connected to a VPN, which will block you access to the local network. Your
document will print when the printer becomes available."

None of the suggested causes exist. I've noticed that I can print from the
notebook only if the desktop is off but can't print from the desktop whether
the notebook is on or off. I am suspecting IP addresses.

The printer is currently at IP 192.168.1.51 and the desktop is at
192.168.1.52. IPs are dynamically assigned. However, when I do "ping -a
192.168.1.52" I get a message "Pinging HP2510 [192.168.1.52] with 32 bytes
of data:" which is the same as I get when I ping the printer. Is my desktop
confused about IP addresses and thinks that its own IP is the printer IP?
Or is the -a option just flaky?

Any help would be much appreciated.

"Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
> I have a home wifi network with a win2000 desktop, a WinXP SP2 notebook,
and
> an HP 2510 wireless network printer. Recently, out of the blue, I am
unable
> to print and get the following message:
>
> "The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This can be
> caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being unplugged, or
being
> connected to a VPN, which will block you access to the local network.
Your
> document will print when the printer becomes available."
>
> None of the suggested causes exist. I've noticed that I can print from
the
> notebook only if the desktop is off but can't print from the desktop
whether
> the notebook is on or off. I am suspecting IP addresses.
>
> The printer is currently at IP 192.168.1.51 and the desktop is at
> 192.168.1.52. IPs are dynamically assigned. However, when I do "ping -a
> 192.168.1.52" I get a message "Pinging HP2510 [192.168.1.52] with 32 bytes
> of data:" which is the same as I get when I ping the printer. Is my
desktop
> confused about IP addresses and thinks that its own IP is the printer IP?
> Or is the -a option just flaky?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

You should assign a static IP to the printer. After this, your system should
be working.

Thanks, How about this:

I'll set my router (WRT54G) to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" with
starting address of 192.168.1.51 and set the printer to "IP Configuration
Method: Manual" with address 192.168.1.50.

I'm just a bit worried that if I set the router to start at 51 that it won't
recognize the printer at 50. What do you think?

TheSurgeon wrote:
> "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
>> I have a home wifi network with a win2000 desktop, a WinXP SP2
>> notebook, and an HP 2510 wireless network printer. Recently, out of
>> the blue, I am unable to print and get the following message:
>>
>> "The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This can
>> be caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being
>> unplugged, or being connected to a VPN, which will block you access
>> to the local network. Your document will print when the printer
>> becomes available."
>>
>> None of the suggested causes exist. I've noticed that I can print
>> from the notebook only if the desktop is off but can't print from
>> the desktop whether the notebook is on or off. I am suspecting IP
>> addresses.
>>
>> The printer is currently at IP 192.168.1.51 and the desktop is at
>> 192.168.1.52. IPs are dynamically assigned. However, when I do
>> "ping -a 192.168.1.52" I get a message "Pinging HP2510
>> [192.168.1.52] with 32 bytes of data:" which is the same as I get
>> when I ping the printer. Is my desktop confused about IP addresses
>> and thinks that its own IP is the printer IP? Or is the -a option
>> just flaky?
>>
>> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> You should assign a static IP to the printer. After this, your system
> should be working.

If the subnet mas is 255.255.255.0 there shouldn't be a problem.

> Thanks, How about this:
>
> I'll set my router (WRT54G) to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" with
> starting address of 192.168.1.51 and set the printer to "IP Configuration
> Method: Manual" with address 192.168.1.50.
>
> I'm just a bit worried that if I set the router to start at 51 that it
> won't
> recognize the printer at 50. What do you think?
>

> TheSurgeon wrote:
>> "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
>>> I have a home wifi network with a win2000 desktop, a WinXP SP2
>>> notebook, and an HP 2510 wireless network printer. Recently, out of
>>> the blue, I am unable to print and get the following message:
>>>
>>> "The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This can
>>> be caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being
>>> unplugged, or being connected to a VPN, which will block you access
>>> to the local network. Your document will print when the printer
>>> becomes available."
>>>
>>> None of the suggested causes exist. I've noticed that I can print
>>> from the notebook only if the desktop is off but can't print from
>>> the desktop whether the notebook is on or off. I am suspecting IP
>>> addresses.
>>>
>>> The printer is currently at IP 192.168.1.51 and the desktop is at
>>> 192.168.1.52. IPs are dynamically assigned. However, when I do
>>> "ping -a 192.168.1.52" I get a message "Pinging HP2510
>>> [192.168.1.52] with 32 bytes of data:" which is the same as I get
>>> when I ping the printer. Is my desktop confused about IP addresses
>>> and thinks that its own IP is the printer IP? Or is the -a option
>>> just flaky?
>>>
>>> Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>> You should assign a static IP to the printer. After this, your system
>> should be working.

Surgeon, thanks for your help. But I have set the printer at static IP and
the problem persists. I will try working with HP.

TheSurgeon wrote:
> If the subnet mas is 255.255.255.0 there shouldn't be a problem.
>
> "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
>> Thanks, How about this:
>>
>> I'll set my router (WRT54G) to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" with
>> starting address of 192.168.1.51 and set the printer to "IP
>> Configuration Method: Manual" with address 192.168.1.50.
>>
>> I'm just a bit worried that if I set the router to start at 51 that
>> it won't
>> recognize the printer at 50. What do you think?
>>

>> TheSurgeon wrote:
>>> "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message

>>> You should assign a static IP to the printer. After this, your
>>> system should be working.

fishead

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003

Hi Jim:
I have had the same problem since downloading sevice pack 2 for xp
(somethingI swore I would not do until updates have been out for at least a
year) on my desktop and my laptop. My IT geek at work has had the same
problem and cannot get an answer. I have e-mailed support and not received an
answer.
Have you had any success since your last post?
Any help would be appreciated. The only way I can print is to attach a cable
directly to my HP printer.
Thaks,
Don