Wireless printer problem

I have a home wifi network with a win2000 desktop, a WinXP SP2 notebook, and
an HP 2510 wireless network printer. Recently, out of the blue, I am unable
to print and get the following message:

"The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This can be
caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being unplugged, or being
connected to a VPN, which will block you access to the local network. Your
document will print when the printer becomes available."

None of the suggested causes exist. I've noticed that I can print from the
notebook only if the desktop is off but can't print from the desktop whether
the notebook is on or off. I am suspecting IP addresses.

The printer is currently at IP 192.168.1.51 and the desktop is at
192.168.1.52. IPs are dynamically assigned. However, when I do "ping -a
192.168.1.52" I get a message "Pinging HP2510 [192.168.1.52] with 32 bytes
of data:" which is the same as I get when I ping the printer. Is my desktop
confused about IP addresses and thinks that its own IP is the printer IP?
Or is the -a option just flaky?

Any help would be much appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless printer problem

    "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
    > I have a home wifi network with a win2000 desktop, a WinXP SP2 notebook,
    and
    > an HP 2510 wireless network printer. Recently, out of the blue, I am
    unable
    > to print and get the following message:
    >
    > "The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This can be
    > caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being unplugged, or
    being
    > connected to a VPN, which will block you access to the local network.
    Your
    > document will print when the printer becomes available."
    >
    > None of the suggested causes exist. I've noticed that I can print from
    the
    > notebook only if the desktop is off but can't print from the desktop
    whether
    > the notebook is on or off. I am suspecting IP addresses.
    >
    > The printer is currently at IP 192.168.1.51 and the desktop is at
    > 192.168.1.52. IPs are dynamically assigned. However, when I do "ping -a
    > 192.168.1.52" I get a message "Pinging HP2510 [192.168.1.52] with 32 bytes
    > of data:" which is the same as I get when I ping the printer. Is my
    desktop
    > confused about IP addresses and thinks that its own IP is the printer IP?
    > Or is the -a option just flaky?
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.

    You should assign a static IP to the printer. After this, your system should
    be working.

    Thanks, How about this:

    I'll set my router (WRT54G) to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" with
    starting address of 192.168.1.51 and set the printer to "IP Configuration
    Method: Manual" with address 192.168.1.50.

    I'm just a bit worried that if I set the router to start at 51 that it won't
    recognize the printer at 50. What do you think?

    TheSurgeon wrote:
    > "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
    >> I have a home wifi network with a win2000 desktop, a WinXP SP2
    >> notebook, and an HP 2510 wireless network printer. Recently, out of
    >> the blue, I am unable to print and get the following message:
    >>
    >> "The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This can
    >> be caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being
    >> unplugged, or being connected to a VPN, which will block you access
    >> to the local network. Your document will print when the printer
    >> becomes available."
    >>
    >> None of the suggested causes exist. I've noticed that I can print
    >> from the notebook only if the desktop is off but can't print from
    >> the desktop whether the notebook is on or off. I am suspecting IP
    >> addresses.
    >>
    >> The printer is currently at IP 192.168.1.51 and the desktop is at
    >> 192.168.1.52. IPs are dynamically assigned. However, when I do
    >> "ping -a 192.168.1.52" I get a message "Pinging HP2510
    >> [192.168.1.52] with 32 bytes of data:" which is the same as I get
    >> when I ping the printer. Is my desktop confused about IP addresses
    >> and thinks that its own IP is the printer IP? Or is the -a option
    >> just flaky?
    >>
    >> Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > You should assign a static IP to the printer. After this, your system
    > should be working.

    If the subnet mas is 255.255.255.0 there shouldn't be a problem.

    > Thanks, How about this:
    >
    > I'll set my router (WRT54G) to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" with
    > starting address of 192.168.1.51 and set the printer to "IP Configuration
    > Method: Manual" with address 192.168.1.50.
    >
    > I'm just a bit worried that if I set the router to start at 51 that it
    > won't
    > recognize the printer at 50. What do you think?
    >

    > TheSurgeon wrote:
    >> "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
    >>> I have a home wifi network with a win2000 desktop, a WinXP SP2
    >>> notebook, and an HP 2510 wireless network printer. Recently, out of
    >>> the blue, I am unable to print and get the following message:
    >>>
    >>> "The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This can
    >>> be caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being
    >>> unplugged, or being connected to a VPN, which will block you access
    >>> to the local network. Your document will print when the printer
    >>> becomes available."
    >>>
    >>> None of the suggested causes exist. I've noticed that I can print
    >>> from the notebook only if the desktop is off but can't print from
    >>> the desktop whether the notebook is on or off. I am suspecting IP
    >>> addresses.
    >>>
    >>> The printer is currently at IP 192.168.1.51 and the desktop is at
    >>> 192.168.1.52. IPs are dynamically assigned. However, when I do
    >>> "ping -a 192.168.1.52" I get a message "Pinging HP2510
    >>> [192.168.1.52] with 32 bytes of data:" which is the same as I get
    >>> when I ping the printer. Is my desktop confused about IP addresses
    >>> and thinks that its own IP is the printer IP? Or is the -a option
    >>> just flaky?
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> You should assign a static IP to the printer. After this, your system
    >> should be working.

    Surgeon, thanks for your help. But I have set the printer at static IP and
    the problem persists. I will try working with HP.

    TheSurgeon wrote:
    > If the subnet mas is 255.255.255.0 there shouldn't be a problem.
    >
    > "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
    >> Thanks, How about this:
    >>
    >> I'll set my router (WRT54G) to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" with
    >> starting address of 192.168.1.51 and set the printer to "IP
    >> Configuration Method: Manual" with address 192.168.1.50.
    >>
    >> I'm just a bit worried that if I set the router to start at 51 that
    >> it won't
    >> recognize the printer at 50. What do you think?
    >>

    >> TheSurgeon wrote:
    >>> "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message

    >>> You should assign a static IP to the printer. After this, your
    >>> system should be working.

    Hi Jim:
    I have had the same problem since downloading sevice pack 2 for xp
    (somethingI swore I would not do until updates have been out for at least a
    year) on my desktop and my laptop. My IT geek at work has had the same
    problem and cannot get an answer. I have e-mailed support and not received an
    answer.
    Have you had any success since your last post?
    Any help would be appreciated. The only way I can print is to attach a cable
    directly to my HP printer.
    Thaks,
    Don

    "Jim Slager" wrote:

    > Surgeon, thanks for your help. But I have set the printer at static IP and
    > the problem persists. I will try working with HP.
    >
    > TheSurgeon wrote:
    > > If the subnet mas is 255.255.255.0 there shouldn't be a problem.
    > >
    > > "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
    > >> Thanks, How about this:
    > >>
    > >> I'll set my router (WRT54G) to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" with
    > >> starting address of 192.168.1.51 and set the printer to "IP
    > >> Configuration Method: Manual" with address 192.168.1.50.
    > >>
    > >> I'm just a bit worried that if I set the router to start at 51 that
    > >> it won't
    > >> recognize the printer at 50. What do you think?

Desktops Wireless Printer Printers Wireless Networking