in searcg DVD authoring solution

Hello,
I am trying to find the best DVD authoring solution that suits my
needs. The programs that I have used (DVD architect, DVD Workshop, DVD
lab, etc) and I seem to like Workshop 2 the best. I am looking for an
authoring program where I can just insert my video files separately and
each video file itself be a chapter. The way it seems to be now is that
you have to combine all video files into one video file which itself
takes some time to render. I am hoping to find a program in that I
insert 5 mpeg files and in turn get 5 chapters instead of inserting one
video file and taking the time to insert the chapter points. Any
suggestions? thanks regardless
rich
8 answers Last reply
More about searcg authoring solution

    "Rockroll" <kingdom@urgentmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I am trying to find the best DVD authoring solution that suits my
    > needs. The programs that I have used (DVD architect, DVD Workshop, DVD
    > lab, etc) and I seem to like Workshop 2 the best. I am looking for an
    > authoring program where I can just insert my video files separately and
    > each video file itself be a chapter. The way it seems to be now is that
    > you have to combine all video files into one video file which itself
    > takes some time to render. I am hoping to find a program in that I
    > insert 5 mpeg files and in turn get 5 chapters instead of inserting one
    > video file and taking the time to insert the chapter points. Any
    > suggestions? thanks regardless
    > rich

    This is the way DVD Author works natively.

    "Rockroll" <kingdom@urgentmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I am trying to find the best DVD authoring solution that suits my
    > needs. The programs that I have used (DVD architect, DVD Workshop, DVD
    > lab, etc) and I seem to like Workshop 2 the best. I am looking for an
    > authoring program where I can just insert my video files separately and
    > each video file itself be a chapter. The way it seems to be now is that
    > you have to combine all video files into one video file which itself
    > takes some time to render. I am hoping to find a program in that I
    > insert 5 mpeg files and in turn get 5 chapters instead of inserting one
    > video file and taking the time to insert the chapter points. Any
    > suggestions? thanks regardless
    > rich

    LOL, You aren't "Alpha"s evil twin are you?

    This is very easily done in TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA)
    www.pegasys-inc.com (Much to "Alpha"s chagrin)

    There is a lot more you can do with TDA than is obvious.
    Just about every thing is changeable or can be replaced by
    your own creations, just by clicking on it. Make your own
    "Menu Theme" to use the more versatile text layouts and
    enable the full editing features.

    DVDLab is similar in performance, but uses a different
    workflow and user interface. Their newer DVDLab Pro
    includes additional features (mainly subtitles & extra audio
    tracks) but at an increased cost.

    Luck;
    Ken

    What you want to do is EXACTLY what you *have to do* in Adobe Encore DVD in
    order to get "overrides" or "play a single chapter" functions to work.

    In Encore, you can set "Chapter 1" to automatically go to "Chapter 2" on
    completion. This would be for a normal, "Play All" button function.

    Define a new button setting to play "Chapter 1" with an *override* link back
    to the menu. This is how you get it to play just that chapter.

    Download a free, non-crippled trial of Adobe Encore DVD 1.5 at:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp#product=76

    C.

    Ken Maltby wrote:
    > This is very easily done in TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA)
    > www.pegasys-inc.com (Much to "Alpha"s chagrin)

    This sounds like something that someone wanted to do with DVD-lab,
    except that they wanted the "next" button to skip to the next title, which
    was apparently a problem. Here's the thread:
    http://www.mmbforums.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9970

    Since you seem to understand the inner workings, could you
    comment on this ability in TDA?

    "Fishface" <invalid@ddress.ok?> wrote in message
    > Ken Maltby wrote:
    >> This is very easily done in TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA)
    >> www.pegasys-inc.com (Much to "Alpha"s chagrin)
    >
    > This sounds like something that someone wanted to do with DVD-lab,
    > except that they wanted the "next" button to skip to the next title, which
    > was apparently a problem. Here's the thread:
    > http://www.mmbforums.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9970
    >
    > Since you seem to understand the inner workings, could you
    > comment on this ability in TDA?

    In TDA you can set the "Action to take after each track has
    been played" in the "Menu display settings". Which is what the
    two came up with in the end.

    Players have both Track and Menu buttons, one or both will
    bring up the "Main" menu from TDA, with that it is easy to select
    a title/track. You would have to get the "next" button to set a
    register for the VM commands, not sure if that can be done, it
    can for other buttons like the numbers.

    TDA leaves most of the remote response at normal defaults. For
    example you can change audio channels with the remote.

    One of these days I'll play around with making some interactive
    DVDs, using the Virtual Machine (VM) Command Set.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby wrote:
    > In TDA you can set the "Action to take after each track has
    > been played" in the "Menu display settings". Which is what the
    > two came up with in the end.

    I gather from one of your other posts that TDA allows you to easily
    add multiple clips to a single track and have them added as chapters,
    something which eludes me in DVD-lab. That would be convenient
    for the 8-12 minute short "episodes" that I have been working with.
    In actual use, the three year old probably doesn't need nor want to
    skip to the next episode with the "Next" button, but it is something
    that I thought should be available.

    > Ken Maltby wrote:
    >> In TDA you can set the "Action to take after each track has
    >> been played" in the "Menu display settings". Which is what the
    >> two came up with in the end.
    >
    > I gather from one of your other posts that TDA allows you to easily
    > add multiple clips to a single track and have them added as chapters,
    > something which eludes me in DVD-lab. That would be convenient
    > for the 8-12 minute short "episodes" that I have been working with.
    > In actual use, the three year old probably doesn't need nor want to
    > skip to the next episode with the "Next" button, but it is something
    > that I thought should be available.

    Both MPEG and DVD structures work better when made up
    of small parts, clips. Every component has "Headers" and other
    reference points built into them. These features help keep order
    in the MPEG/DVD world. They also provide for navigation
    information such as your "Next" button uses. "One Big MPEG"
    is not as good as many small MPEG, under most circumstances.

    As long as all the clips share certain parameters, they can coexist
    in the same title (TDA calls it a track, the DVD Specifications a
    title). All the chapters in a title play one after the other, in order,
    seamlessly. With the next button or by menu selection you can
    alter the point from which the title is played.

    Tracks/Titles are independent of each other and can have clips
    that have different parameters from those in any other track/title.
    Each title is normally not played in a seamless sequence, but by
    selection. Commonly, after a title is played you are returned to
    a menu. Whereas Chapters play one after the other automatically,
    titles need to be told what to do next. Or you could look at it as,
    Chapters will play the next chapter, without pause, until you tell it
    to do otherwise.

    TDA allows you to have Chapter points that are not "in the menu",
    you can deselect those you don't want and they will still function for
    navigation purposes.

    Hope this helps.

    Luck;
    Ken

    OK, thanks for that! I was hoping not to have to learn all the
    little details, but I keep being drawn-in!

    It seem that the skip button is now working for me in DVD-lab
    on my latest compilation. I have no clue why it didn't work
    before. There have been a couple of updates to the program,
    recently, though...

Tuner Cards DVD Video Graphics