VPN

Tags:
  • Windows XP
April 1, 2005 2:47:06 PM

I hpe that this has not bean coverd, but I can not find it in the search.

At Home I have a small network. Two computers XP Pro. Thay are set up in a
pear to pear network, pringing a file shearing working. Connect to the
internet with a d link DSL504.

At my girlfrend I have a laptop on XP Home. Connecting to a cable modem.

I would like to set up a vpn from my girlfrends house back home, so I can
get to my files etc. I have set up the incoming and outgoing connection. I
thing that the router at home is blocking it, do I have to forward a port to
one computer or some thing like that. I have spen the last hour looking on
the net for help and can not find it?

Any idears.

FatDave

More about : vpn

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:06:51 PM

For PPTP VPN, which I presume your using, you need both TCP Port 1723 forwarded to the VPN server
private LAN IP address and have GRE Protocol 47 traffic enabled through the router. Some routers
call that "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN Pass Through". Check with your manufacturer about that for
your particular router.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"fatdave" <fatdave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hpe that this has not bean coverd, but I can not find it in the search.
>
> At Home I have a small network. Two computers XP Pro. Thay are set up in a
> pear to pear network, pringing a file shearing working. Connect to the
> internet with a d link DSL504.
>
> At my girlfrend I have a laptop on XP Home. Connecting to a cable modem.
>
> I would like to set up a vpn from my girlfrends house back home, so I can
> get to my files etc. I have set up the incoming and outgoing connection. I
> thing that the router at home is blocking it, do I have to forward a port to
> one computer or some thing like that. I have spen the last hour looking on
> the net for help and can not find it?
>
> Any idears.
>
> FatDave

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:53:02 PM

Thanks for that.

I have now put that info in to the router and All I get is Verfiring
Username and Password, the it disconects. The user is is a member of the
remote user group. Any idears?

Fatdave

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> For PPTP VPN, which I presume your using, you need both TCP Port 1723 forwarded to the VPN server
> private LAN IP address and have GRE Protocol 47 traffic enabled through the router. Some routers
> call that "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN Pass Through". Check with your manufacturer about that for
> your particular router.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "fatdave" <fatdave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I hpe that this has not bean coverd, but I can not find it in the search.
> >
> > At Home I have a small network. Two computers XP Pro. Thay are set up in a
> > pear to pear network, pringing a file shearing working. Connect to the
> > internet with a d link DSL504.
> >
> > At my girlfrend I have a laptop on XP Home. Connecting to a cable modem.
> >
> > I would like to set up a vpn from my girlfrends house back home, so I can
> > get to my files etc. I have set up the incoming and outgoing connection. I
> > thing that the router at home is blocking it, do I have to forward a port to
> > one computer or some thing like that. I have spen the last hour looking on
> > the net for help and can not find it?
> >
> > Any idears.
> >
> > FatDave

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:54:59 PM

I'm not familiar with your particular router, so I would recommend running the test detailed in the
"VPN Traffic" section near the end of this page...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

The required tools...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en

If you can't pass GRE Protocol 47 traffic your out of luck...

You might consider using SSH and WinSCP as an alternative. Its easier, IMHO, to setup and use for a
home user...You only need to forward/open TCP Port 22 for SSH. Use a *STRONG* password...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11534
http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

--

!