DVD ROM drive problem after installing DVD-RW

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On my WinXP PC I used to have two drives: A DVD-R and a CD-RW, both of
which worked fine. I recently replaced the CD-RW with a DVD-RW. Now the
DVD-R is unstable: Sometimes it can read and play DVDs, and some other
times the whole system hangs when I insert the disk. I think the
problem is always caused by the same disks. The new drive however reads
and plays all disks. Any ideas what could be causing this?

thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about drive problem installing
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Digital Video Solutions wrote:
    > Before installing the new drive did you change the jumper to match
    the one
    > being replaced? One is master and one is slave. Drives usually ship
    as
    > master.

    Yes, I did. Windows XP does see the drive anyway. The problem is when I
    insert most DVDs!
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    <jramaley@iname.com> wrote in message
    > On my WinXP PC I used to have two drives: A DVD-R and a CD-RW, both of
    > which worked fine. I recently replaced the CD-RW with a DVD-RW. Now the
    > DVD-R is unstable: Sometimes it can read and play DVDs, and some other
    > times the whole system hangs when I insert the disk. I think the
    > problem is always caused by the same disks. The new drive however reads
    > and plays all disks. Any ideas what could be causing this?
    >
    > thanks

  3. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    did you properly remove the drive replaced ?

    the best sequesnce is (in my opinion)

    remove the drivers for the device.
    remove the device
    reboot the system
    check the device and drivers are gone.

    install the new hardware
    start the system
    new hardware detected
    load drivers
    etc.

    If you just swap in a new device you can get errors in the registry
    because the old device was not properly deinstalled.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Check the DMA on the IDE channel. Some DVD-ROM drives needed to use DMA but
    is not really necessary for DVD-R/RW drives. Mine all run fine on regular
    old PIO.

    > Digital Video Solutions wrote:
    >> Before installing the new drive did you change the jumper to match
    > the one
    >> being replaced? One is master and one is slave. Drives usually ship
    > as
    >> master.
    >>

    > Yes, I did. Windows XP does see the drive anyway. The problem is when I
    > insert most DVDs!

  5. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    I thought you no longer have to do these things because XP is Plug And
    Play. Someone please confirm!

    marks542004@yahoo.com wrote:
    > did you properly remove the drive replaced ?
    >
    > the best sequesnce is (in my opinion)
    >
    > remove the drivers for the device.
    > remove the device
    > reboot the system
    > check the device and drivers are gone.
    >
    > install the new hardware
    > start the system
    > new hardware detected
    > load drivers
    > etc.
    >
    > If you just swap in a new device you can get errors in the registry
    > because the old device was not properly deinstalled.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Don't forget that the new DVD-RW drive is working fine. It's the old
    DVD-ROM drive that has the problem, which used to work!
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    jramaley wrote ...
    >I thought you no longer have to do these things because XP
    > is Plug And Play. Someone please confirm!

    "Plug And Play" was the original marketing name.

    Most of us call it "Plug and Pray" and many reserve even
    stronger and fouler language for it. It works great when it
    works. But when it doesn't, you have do do all manner of
    screwy things (like this) to work around it. If there were
    only some way of turning it off.

    "I hate it when my computer thinks it is smarter than me."
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    In article <1112765933.743022.267630@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    jramaley@iname.com says...
    > Subject: Re: DVD ROM drive problem after installing DVD-RW
    > From: jramaley@iname.com
    > Newsgroups: rec.video, rec.video.desktop
    >
    > I thought you no longer have to do these things because XP is Plug And
    > Play. Someone please confirm!
    >
    > marks542004@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > did you properly remove the drive replaced ?
    > >
    > > the best sequesnce is (in my opinion)
    > >
    > > remove the drivers for the device.
    > > remove the device
    > > reboot the system
    > > check the device and drivers are gone.
    > >
    > > install the new hardware
    > > start the system
    > > new hardware detected
    > > load drivers
    > > etc.
    > >
    > > If you just swap in a new device you can get errors in the registry
    > > because the old device was not properly deinstalled.

    You have to do these things because of plug and play.
    --
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    Make sure the new DVD RW is NOT connected to the old DVR. If you have cable
    space...connect each one to a Hard drive cable making each DVD device a
    slave. This way there will be no conflicts and you'll copy to the DVD RW
    from the DVD rom directly<jramaley@iname.com> wrote in message
    > Don't forget that the new DVD-RW drive is working fine. It's the old
    > DVD-ROM drive that has the problem, which used to work!

Tuner Cards DVD RW Video DVD Writers DVD Drives Graphics