After changing my ISP, I no longer have access to my VPN

April 2, 2005 11:55:01 PM

After changing my ISP, I no longer have access to my company VPN. My company
VPN times - out after a few minutes and disconnects. My ISP also disconnects.
I found out from the top level Engineers at the ISP that they also are using
VPN technology for web access and I have to find a way to support two VPN
connections; both my ISP and my company website. They claim there is a way to
configure XP to support both. Neither my company technical support nor the
ISP has the configuration information.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance for your advice
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 4:03:24 PM

techy613 wrote:
> After changing my ISP, I no longer have access to my company VPN. My
> company VPN times - out after a few minutes and disconnects. My ISP
> also disconnects. I found out from the top level Engineers at the ISP
> that they also are using VPN technology for web access and I have to
> find a way to support two VPN connections; both my ISP and my company
> website. They claim there is a way to configure XP to support both.
> Neither my company technical support nor the ISP has the
> configuration information.
>
> Can anyone help me?
> Thanks in advance for your advice

Can you explain in more detail what's going on? I'm not sure what "they also
are using VPN technology for web access" means.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:17:04 PM

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> techy613 wrote:
> > After changing my ISP, I no longer have access to my company VPN. My
> > company VPN times - out after a few minutes and disconnects. My ISP
> > also disconnects. I found out from the top level Engineers at the ISP
> > that they also are using VPN technology for web access and I have to
> > find a way to support two VPN connections; both my ISP and my company
> > website. They claim there is a way to configure XP to support both.
> > Neither my company technical support nor the ISP has the
> > configuration information.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> > Thanks in advance for your advice
>
> Can you explain in more detail what's going on? I'm not sure what "they also
> are using VPN technology for web access" means.
>
> (Techy613) The ISP (AOL) did not have more details. Maybe each user's packets are tunneled in a AOL packet to the AOL server to provide better security. I would assume their server is acting like a VPN server. But I really do not know.
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help
April 5, 2005 4:43:57 PM

techy613 wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> techy613 wrote:
>>> After changing my ISP, I no longer have access to my company VPN. My
>>> company VPN times - out after a few minutes and disconnects. My ISP
>>> also disconnects. I found out from the top level Engineers at the
>>> ISP that they also are using VPN technology for web access and I
>>> have to find a way to support two VPN connections; both my ISP and
>>> my company website. They claim there is a way to configure XP to
>>> support both. Neither my company technical support nor the ISP has
>>> the configuration information.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me?
>>> Thanks in advance for your advice
>>
>> Can you explain in more detail what's going on? I'm not sure what
>> "they also
>> are using VPN technology for web access" means.
>>
>> (Techy613) The ISP (AOL) did not have more details. Maybe each
>> user's packets are tunneled in a AOL packet to the AOL server to
>> provide better security. I would assume their server is acting like
>> a VPN server. But I really do not know. Any ideas? Thanks in
>> advance for your help

Hi - if AOL can't tell you what they mean, I'm not sure I can, either. (note
that like most people in here I am not all that fond of AOL). I've also
never tried using an AOL connection to make a VPN connection.
Have you tried escalating the call up to someone who may know exactly what
they're talking about? I mean, AOL is the one who told you they were doing
"something" with VPN in the first place.
Personally, I would ditch AOL and get a real ISP - and one that does not
block ports.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:43:58 PM

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> techy613 wrote:

> >> Can you explain in more detail what's going on? I'm not sure what
> >> "they also
> >> are using VPN technology for web access" means.
> >>
> >> (Techy613) The ISP (AOL) did not have more details. Maybe each
> >> user's packets are tunneled in a AOL packet to the AOL server to
> >> provide better security. I would assume their server is acting like
> >> a VPN server. But I really do not know. Any ideas? Thanks in
> >> advance for your help
>
> Hi - if AOL can't tell you what they mean, I'm not sure I can, either. (note
> that like most people in here I am not all that fond of AOL). I've also
> never tried using an AOL connection to make a VPN connection.
> Have you tried escalating the call up to someone who may know exactly what
> they're talking about? I mean, AOL is the one who told you they were doing
> "something" with VPN in the first place.
> Personally, I would ditch AOL and get a real ISP - and one that does not
> block ports.
>
> (techy613): I ecalated as far as I could but their could not help. I will try some more experimenting and then get a real ISP.
Thanks

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:41:36 AM

techy613 wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> techy613 wrote:

>> Hi - if AOL can't tell you what they mean, I'm not sure I can,
>> either. (note
>> that like most people in here I am not all that fond of AOL). I've
>> also
>> never tried using an AOL connection to make a VPN connection.
>> Have you tried escalating the call up to someone who may know
>> exactly what
>> they're talking about? I mean, AOL is the one who told you they
>> were doing "something" with VPN in the first place.
>> Personally, I would ditch AOL and get a real ISP - and one that does
>> not
>> block ports.
>>
> (techy613): I ecalated as far as I could but their could not help. I
> will try some more experimenting and then get a real ISP. Thanks

Good luck!
!