Want to capture with Canopus from DTV

I'd like to be able to capture video from my Direct TV to my PC, but I don't
need a Tivo-like set up as I only intend to capture small random clips not
entire programs. I'll also be transferring old VHS recordings to edit and
preserve on DVD. My question: Is it possible to capture uncompressed AVI
with the Canopus ADVC-100?

My coworker owns the advc-50 and tells me his dtv captures leave something
to be desired in terms of sharpness, due to there being no option to capture
uncompressed AVI, only to the compressed DV-AVI format. Is this true of all
Canopus converter devices?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about want capture canopus

    tori wrote:

    > I'd like to be able to capture video from my Direct TV to my PC, but I don't
    > need a Tivo-like set up as I only intend to capture small random clips not
    > entire programs. I'll also be transferring old VHS recordings to edit and
    > preserve on DVD. My question: Is it possible to capture uncompressed AVI
    > with the Canopus ADVC-100?
    >
    > My coworker owns the advc-50 and tells me his dtv captures leave something
    > to be desired in terms of sharpness, due to there being no option to capture
    > uncompressed AVI, only to the compressed DV-AVI format. Is this true of all
    > Canopus converter devices?
    >
    > Thanks

    Capturing with DV can yield great results. If your friend has less than
    desirable results, then they are doing something wrong then.

    Sure uncompressed AVI is "the best" but are you sure that's what you
    want? Take for example Uncompressed 10-bit 4:4:4 yields a data rate of
    around 25-35 Mbps second. In one hour you'll have a file size of about
    100 Gig+. Since NO hard drive can keep with that rate, you'll have to
    be also purchasing a RAID system. I recommend ADTX raid systems.
    http://www.adtx.com/us.. Cost.. several thousand.

    -Richard

Tuner Cards Canopus Video AVI Graphics