Far cry experiences

morganwill

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
I love this game!!!!
BUT the controls are jumpy???
I have tried everything under controls - mouse acceleration, fast mouse smothing, etc.
I guess the "default" mouse smooth with no mouse accel on is the best for me????
I still seem to be drunk, swinging all around when in close quarters combat in particular???
Please advise. I do not think my Ti4600 could be outdated already. This 128mb ddr MSI video card cost me $260.00 about 2.6 years ago. The Island/jungle look great and I have the latest drivers from the big Nvidia website. My settings are all pretty high but this is not the movement jumpy problem because lower settings did not move much better. I have the first patch ; build 1256???
Please discuss all experiences in game as I am some what stuck on the invasion segment right after he drops you off the boat and you are suppose to infillutrate the research facility? I usually play multiplayer but get fairly frustrated if anygets in real close because of my druken/jumpy mouse coordination?? Basically, others on multiplayer seem to have far, far beter movement control of thier soldier??

THANKS _ -M

dhlucke

Polypheme
The game is a hardware hog. Keep playing with the settings and see if you can smooth it out. I'm working on that myself with a R9600np

<font color=red>___________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://www.subservientchicken.com/" target="_new">Get chicken the way you like it!</A></b>

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
BUT the controls are jumpy???
Disabling ALL mouse options and reducing mouse sensitivity one notch made my mouse control very smooth.

Mouse smoothing and mouse acceleration work well only on extremely fast systems. The purpose of muse acceleration, for example is to make you turn slower or faster depending on how fast you move the mouse: Move it slower and you turn slower, move it faster and you turn faster (sort of like force feedback on joysticks). But this creates a lot of problems on all systems, even the fastest ones. With mouse options on you will get very uneven frame rates.

Actually, as far as I can recall, similar mouse options have caused similar problems in other games too.

<font color=green>Stingy people end up paying double. One kick-ass rig that will go strong for three years or one half-decent one every year?</font color=green> :cool:

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Read this (link below) before you buy Far Cry. The review is somewhat emotional, but having finished the game twice at medium and easy difficulty I stick to every conclusion I made in this review. There are a lot of good things to say about this game but you should be aware of all the bad stuff too before you spend your hard-earned cash.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=395448#395448" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=395448#395448</A>

<font color=green>Stingy people end up paying double. One kick-ass rig that will go strong for three years or one half-decent one every year?</font color=green> :cool:

muc0n

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2002
I have played through the single player and think it is a pretty good game. I agree with the slow running and the trouble with hiding that you mentioned, but if you had to load a mission 20+ times on medium(normal) difficulty you must not be very good at FPS games. I've been gaming for about 7 years, mostly FPS games and until the battle with Kreiger(sp?) i never had to load a mission more than 5 times. Even Kreiger and the following mission i only had to try those around 10 times. I have an Athlon 2500xp, Radeon 8500, 512MB Ram, and i played on medium settings with very little to no slowdowns, even in large areas. Also, i cant comment on the running, but i made it through the game and never had "sprint" binded to a key, so running was not all too important to me. As far as length goes i think the game was pretty long for an FPS, i play through single player games in usually 10-15 hrs. Farcry took me about a week and a half to complete, not sure what that comes out to in hours but it was a pretty long journey. I agree with some of the things you said but i do think you trashed the game more than it deserved.

Anyway, I think Farcry is worth a try. It has its problems and is not the most original story-line but it is still a good game. Having not really played multi-player i cannot comment on that but it does seem to have potential. Big jungle maps seem like they could make for some fun hide and seek sniping. These are just one person's humble opinions. Download the demo and try it for yourself.

muc0n

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2002
I noticed none of the problems you described and my system isn't the best. Like others said try disabling all mouse options, like accel. and smoothing. I didnt use either of these and i never had any jerky problems. Also turn the sensitivity down. If none of this helps a better description of your problem might help because i am not sure what you are talking about.

morganwill

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
I must really suck at moving and reaction, not!!
The enemy comes from the pheriphary and I can not seem to get them when ever 2 or 3 get in close.
My shooting/rifle is very inaccurate??
To much kick and too little mouse control.
I am using microsoft's latest "optical Explorer" mouse.
I can stay back and pick off, but as more become alerted and I eventually get Bum-Rushed.
Please help - Frustrated soldier.

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
Check your fram rates, you are probable asking too much from V-card. By the way, what processor do you have. This game will suck the life out of any hardware you have. Try letting game choose settings (video). Also experiment with lowering settings for lighing and I think it was shadows. I have P4C 3.0 and 5900 and I can not run everything on very high. I noticed this was a particular issue inside buildings, not in jungle.

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
Big hint, don't walk on the paths, stay on one side or another as much as possible. Try snipping a few then backtrack to a point where you can see them coming. If you have them, use your Binoculars to see where the emeny is. At times, if their is nothing you need to get at an emeny camp, go around it, in the bushes. When they say I see you, lots of time they don't, they just say that to get you to stand up out of the bushes to get ya. Hope this helps ya. :)

answer

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
i am on the level saving valerie and after killin the big guy and the 2 trigens at the lab, I can't go anywhere. I was able to see valerie and I'm supposed to save her from 2 other trigens but I can see any more trigens. Has she killed the. I am now stuck at that level.

TeeTewl

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2004
There's two or so of the smaller tridgen goobers in there with Val. I just smg'd them and the cut scene came on and Val leaves you and you go on....But how in the hell do you kill the Helicopter dude on the friggin' boat level....6 replays and I'm still toast

Can't hit a lob wedge...

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
Read this Forum:

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/games/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=10519#10519" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/games/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=10519#10519</A>

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with ithcy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
Plant the explosives on the back of the boat. Jump off the boat and swim to shore (you will take some damage, but will survive. Hide in the bushes and shoot everything you have at the copter (except rockets). He won't shoot back at you, he will just move back and foeth looking for ya. There are other methods, but that is the one that worked for me.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i used the mast as cover and fired 5 rockets at the copter. that took it down and i took no damage.

Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.