Need app that can display TV audio/video via USB

Hi. I need an app that will allow me to display a VCR output picture
(connected from my VCR to my Sony TRV428 camcorder) onto my laptop via
USB. So far all the capture apps I've tried have come up short. The
problem is that none of them except the USB Streaming Tool (that came
with the camcorder) will play any audio when the USB Audio Device is
selected. For now I'm using the audio from my stereo system, but I'd
like to control it from the computer. I'd also like the app to have a
brightness control.

The following are the ones I've tried, and their shortcomings:

USB Streaming Tool:
Sound from USB Audio Device - Yes (the only device with sound output)
Brightness/Contrast Control - Yes/No
Resizable Screen - No
Compact Display - No

DV 4500:
Sound from USB Audio Device - No
Brightness/Contrast Control - No/No
Resizable Screen - No
Compact Display - No

Netmeeting:
Sound from USB Audio Device - No
Brightness/Contrast Control - No/No
Resizable Screen - Yes (but the picture looks horrible when enlarged)
Compact Display - Yes

Amcap.exe:
Sound from USB Audio Device - No
Brightness/Contrast Control - No/No
Resizable Screen - Yes
Compact Display - Yes

Is there any freeware USB or firewire A/V display app that can do
better than these? Thanks.

"M.L." wrote ...
> Hi. I need an app that will allow me to display a VCR output picture
> (connected from my VCR to my Sony TRV428 camcorder) onto my laptop via
> USB. So far all the capture apps I've tried have come up short. The
> problem is that none of them except the USB Streaming Tool (that came
> with the camcorder) will play any audio when the USB Audio Device is
> selected. For now I'm using the audio from my stereo system, but I'd
> like to control it from the computer. I'd also like the app to have a
> brightness control.

Why USB? Most cameras (quite likely including your Sony TRV428)
do only low-res, low-rate (and likely no-sound) "web-cam" video via
USB. Most devices use Firewire (IEEE 1394, Sony calls it "i-Link")
to do "normal" video.

Oddly, the '428 is a relatively recent camera that's Hi-8, not digital-8. No
firewire. 8O

Note to the original poster: what HARDWARE are you using to get the video
into your computer? (since it's not firewire...)

C.

"Richard Crowley" <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote in message
> "M.L." wrote ...
>> Hi. I need an app that will allow me to display a VCR output picture
>> (connected from my VCR to my Sony TRV428 camcorder) onto my laptop via
>> USB. So far all the capture apps I've tried have come up short. The
>> problem is that none of them except the USB Streaming Tool (that came
>> with the camcorder) will play any audio when the USB Audio Device is
>> selected. For now I'm using the audio from my stereo system, but I'd
>> like to control it from the computer. I'd also like the app to have a
>> brightness control.
>
> Why USB? Most cameras (quite likely including your Sony TRV428)
> do only low-res, low-rate (and likely no-sound) "web-cam" video via
> USB. Most devices use Firewire (IEEE 1394, Sony calls it "i-Link")
> to do "normal" video.

>>> Hi. I need an app that will allow me to display a VCR output picture
>>> (connected from my VCR to my Sony TRV428 camcorder) onto my laptop via
>>> USB. So far all the capture apps I've tried have come up short. The
>>> problem is that none of them except the USB Streaming Tool (that came
>>> with the camcorder) will play any audio when the USB Audio Device is
>>> selected. For now I'm using the audio from my stereo system, but I'd
>>> like to control it from the computer. I'd also like the app to have a
>>> brightness control.
>>
>> Why USB? Most cameras (quite likely including your Sony TRV428)
>> do only low-res, low-rate (and likely no-sound) "web-cam" video via
>> USB. Most devices use Firewire (IEEE 1394, Sony calls it "i-Link")
>> to do "normal" video.

>Oddly, the '428 is a relatively recent camera that's Hi-8, not digital-8. No
>firewire. 8O
>
>Note to the original poster: what HARDWARE are you using to get the video
>into your computer? (since it's not firewire...)

Thanks for your reply. I don't have my camcorder with me right now but
I must have misnamed it because it definitely has firewire and is
digital8. Perhaps it is the 468 model. I'll check it later.

In any case, I'm not trying to do a firewire capture, I'd just like an
app that would allow me to watch TV on my laptop via the camcorder's
usb or firewire port.

I'm trying to picture this setup. The cable box composite outputs are hooked
to a long composite video cable, which is in turn stretched out along the
floor to the analog inputs of the camcorder, which in turn is hooked into
the firewire or USB - so the user can watch television on his laptop?

Wouldn't LCD or regular TV with cable outlet near where laptop is being
used be more efficient? Oh well, whatever blows your dress up!

Try this http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvrusb2.html

"M.L." <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> [...]

>> Resizable Screen - No
>> Compact Display - No
>>
>> Netmeeting:
>> Sound from USB Audio Device - No
>> Brightness/Contrast Control - No/No
>> Resizable Screen - Yes (but the picture looks horrible when enlarged)
>> Compact Display - Yes
>>
>> Amcap.exe:
>> Sound from USB Audio Device - No
>> Brightness/Contrast Control - No/No
>> Resizable Screen - Yes
>> Compact Display - Yes
>>
>> Is there any freeware USB or firewire A/V display app that can do
>> better than these? Thanks.

>I'm trying to picture this setup. The cable box composite outputs are hooked
>to a long composite video cable, which is in turn stretched out along the
>floor to the analog inputs of the camcorder, which in turn is hooked into
>the firewire or USB - so the user can watch television on his laptop?

There is no cable TV involved, just rabbit ears antenna. I'm
experimenting with getting TV on my laptop where cable doesn't exist,
using the following equipment:

antenna->VCR->camcorder->software streaming app->Laptop

The camcorder is Sony TRV460 Digital8 with analog-to-digital
converter.

>Wouldn't LCD or regular TV with cable outlet near where laptop is being
>used be more efficient? Oh well, whatever blows your dress up!

Regular TV set not allowed for this experiment :) The hardware works
fine, and the TV picture looks good too (for an antenna source). I'm
just looking for better USB or Firewire display software that uses
audio from the camcorder. All except one of the streaming apps
mentioned above ignore the USB Audio Device input and apparently
expect me to use a line-in to my sound card. However, my laptop does
not have an audio-in port except for the microphone. I'd also like the
display software to allow me to adjust display size and brightness, at
the least.

>Try this http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvrusb2.html

I'll check it out. Thanks.