Multiple Logons

I'm trying to allow multiple XP Pro users concurrent use of my XP Pro remote
desktop. Whenever someone tries to logon, it logs out the other. This works
with Terminal Services and Win2000. Shouldn't it work with Remote Desktop
too? What am I missing? Thanks, Doug

Doug wrote:
> I'm trying to allow multiple XP Pro users concurrent use of my XP Pro
> remote desktop. Whenever someone tries to logon, it logs out the
> other. This works with Terminal Services and Win2000. Shouldn't it
> work with Remote Desktop too? What am I missing? Thanks, Doug

Although Windows XP is a Multi-User Operating System, only ONE user at a
time is allowed interactive use of it - remote or local.

There are "ways" around this:
http://sig9.com/node/110

But you are using code from a beta version of service pack 2.

--
<- Shenan ->

Thanks, Shenan! Very helpful. I assume when you say "using code from a beta
version of SP2", you're talking about the replacement termserv.zip file.

Doug wrote:
> Thanks, Shenan! Very helpful. I assume when you say "using code
> from a beta version of SP2", you're talking about the replacement
> termserv.zip file.

The contents of that zip file, yes.

--
<- Shenan ->

Unfortunately, it didn't work!!! :^(

Doug wrote:
> Unfortunately, it didn't work!!! :^(

The process definitely works.

Confirmation:
You disable the two services and rebooted..
You copied the dll file to both locations (system32 and dllcache)..
You reset the two services to enabled/automatic.
You edited the proper policy ("Limit number of connections") to a number
higher than 1.
You rebooted.
You logged onto the system as one user.
You then remoted into the machine as A DIFFERENT user.
Depending on the number you put in for the limit, you can also remote in as
ANOTHER user..

One key is the group policy.. Another is that every user that logs in
remotely must have a unique userid.

--
<- Shenan ->

Yes, I got it working. It had something to do with the structure of the user
name that I put on the host versus that on the client. Pretty slick! I tried
it with a user with less than administrative rights though, and it doesn't
like it very well.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Doug wrote:
> > I'm trying to allow multiple XP Pro users concurrent use of my XP
> > Pro remote desktop. Whenever someone tries to logon, it logs out
> > the other. This works with Terminal Services and Win2000.
> > Shouldn't it work with Remote Desktop too? What am I missing?
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > Although Windows XP is a Multi-User Operating System, only ONE user
> > at a time is allowed interactive use of it - remote or local.
> >
> > There are "ways" around this:
> > http://sig9.com/node/110
> >
> > But you are using code from a beta version of service pack 2.
>
> Doug wrote:
> > Thanks, Shenan! Very helpful. I assume when you say "using code
> > from a beta version of SP2", you're talking about the replacement
> > termserv.zip file.
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > The contents of that zip file, yes.
>
> Doug wrote:
> > Unfortunately, it didn't work!!! :^(
>

> The process definitely works.
>
> Confirmation:
> You disable the two services and rebooted..
> You copied the dll file to both locations (system32 and dllcache)..
> You reset the two services to enabled/automatic.
> You edited the proper policy ("Limit number of connections") to a number
> higher than 1.
> You rebooted.
> You logged onto the system as one user.
> You then remoted into the machine as A DIFFERENT user.
> Depending on the number you put in for the limit, you can also remote in as
> ANOTHER user..
>
> One key is the group policy.. Another is that every user that logs in
> remotely must have a unique userid.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Keep in mind that is a totally unsupported procedure...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> Doug wrote:
>> I'm trying to allow multiple XP Pro users concurrent use of my XP Pro
>> remote desktop. Whenever someone tries to logon, it logs out the
>> other. This works with Terminal Services and Win2000. Shouldn't it
>> work with Remote Desktop too? What am I missing? Thanks, Doug
>
> Although Windows XP is a Multi-User Operating System, only ONE user at a time is allowed
> interactive use of it - remote or local.
>
> There are "ways" around this:
> http://sig9.com/node/110
>
> But you are using code from a beta version of service pack 2.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Does Microsoft have any other kind????

(BTW, I'm generally a fan of Microsoft - definitely not a basher.)

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Keep in mind that is a totally unsupported procedure...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Doug wrote:
> >> I'm trying to allow multiple XP Pro users concurrent use of my XP Pro
> >> remote desktop. Whenever someone tries to logon, it logs out the
> >> other. This works with Terminal Services and Win2000. Shouldn't it
> >> work with Remote Desktop too? What am I missing? Thanks, Doug
> >
> > Although Windows XP is a Multi-User Operating System, only ONE user at a time is allowed
> > interactive use of it - remote or local.
> >
> > There are "ways" around this:
> > http://sig9.com/node/110
> >
> > But you are using code from a beta version of service pack 2.
> >
> > --
> > <- Shenan ->
> > --
> > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> > getting into before you jump in with both feet.

And you're also violating your license and EULA, so this is illegal.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

> Keep in mind that is a totally unsupported procedure...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Doug wrote:
>>> I'm trying to allow multiple XP Pro users concurrent use of my XP Pro
>>> remote desktop. Whenever someone tries to logon, it logs out the
>>> other. This works with Terminal Services and Win2000. Shouldn't it
>>> work with Remote Desktop too? What am I missing? Thanks, Doug
>>
>> Although Windows XP is a Multi-User Operating System, only ONE user at a
>> time is allowed interactive use of it - remote or local.
>>
>> There are "ways" around this:
>> http://sig9.com/node/110
>>
>> But you are using code from a beta version of service pack 2.
>>
>> --
>> <- Shenan ->
>> --
>> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
>> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
>> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
>> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Not at all. I'm going to be accessing a SQL database in a client/server
relationship where the code lies on each client but the SQL tables are on the
"server". Since the "server" will also be a workstation, I need to be able
to access it in the event I need to do urgent system administration without
clobbering the user in the event they are not there and their box is locked
down. This might even be off-site. I do not in any way intend to be running
applications from multiple machines at all.

"Matt Gibson" wrote:

> And you're also violating your license and EULA, so this is illegal.
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> > Keep in mind that is a totally unsupported procedure...
> >
> > --
> >
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> > benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > rights...
> >

> > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Although Windows XP is a Multi-User Operating System, only ONE user at a
> >> time is allowed interactive use of it - remote or local.
> >>
> >> There are "ways" around this:
> >> http://sig9.com/node/110
> >>
> >> But you are using code from a beta version of service pack 2.
> >>
> >> --
> >> <- Shenan ->
> >> --
> >> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> >> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> >> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> >> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

I understand, but by the "letter" of the licensing, you at that point have
two concurrently logged in users, and are are therefore in violation of your
licensing and EULA terms.

I'm not trying to be a twit or anything, just pointing out the fact :)

Matt Gibson - GSEC