Frequent Disconnects with RDC and Ultra VNC

XP pro on desktop (server). I get frequent disconnects when using remote
desktop client (both the app as well as browser) and with ultraVNC. It
works for a few minutes than disconnects. The application will then try to
reconnect ( and is usually successful) but it is getting very annoying to
work on this unstable connection. The server is behind both a router and a
software firewall. I have gone to great pains to make sure that the
appropriate ports and protocols are enabled (and I know they are, since it
DOES work). I have checked the router to make sure that the LAN lease is
forever etc. The disconnects are accompanied with the message "due to
network error, pleas try again"...
4 answers Last reply
More about frequent disconnects ultra

    Jan Matejka wrote:
    > XP pro on desktop (server). I get frequent disconnects when using
    > remote desktop client (both the app as well as browser) and with
    > ultraVNC. It works for a few minutes than disconnects. The
    > application will then try to reconnect ( and is usually successful)
    > but it is getting very annoying to work on this unstable connection.
    > The server is behind both a router and a software firewall. I have
    > gone to great pains to make sure that the appropriate ports and
    > protocols are enabled (and I know they are, since it DOES work). I
    > have checked the router to make sure that the LAN lease is forever
    > etc. The disconnects are accompanied with the message "due to network
    > error, pleas try again"...

    This could be many things - defective network card, buggy network card
    drivers, poor quality router, poor quality network card, poor quality
    Internet connection, etc. Update your hardware drivers to the latest
    version provided by the manufacturer of the network device - make sure your
    router has the latest firmware - make sure your cables are of good quality
    and contact your ISP for assistance.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    This problem occurseven if I connect my laptop to the smc router with a 2
    ft short cat 5 cable. The router is connected by a 2ft cat 5 to the desktop.
    I have had this problem for the past year. It also occurs when connecting
    to the router with other computers in the home network. I recently upgraded
    the desktop mobo with lan chip and fresh install of xp pro and I am still
    getting the same problem. All of the network drivers are the latest...I
    think this prettty much excludes the network cards, cables and drivers as a
    source of the problem. How would one go about troubleshooting the router to
    see if it is the problem? I seem to get great connection speeds on my home
    network. Qcheck application measures a data throughput of greater than
    80Mb/sec between all of the computers and I never have any problems
    transferring huge files...

    > Jan Matejka wrote:
    > > XP pro on desktop (server). I get frequent disconnects when using
    > > remote desktop client (both the app as well as browser) and with
    > > ultraVNC. It works for a few minutes than disconnects. The
    > > application will then try to reconnect ( and is usually successful)
    > > but it is getting very annoying to work on this unstable connection.
    > > The server is behind both a router and a software firewall. I have
    > > gone to great pains to make sure that the appropriate ports and
    > > protocols are enabled (and I know they are, since it DOES work). I
    > > have checked the router to make sure that the LAN lease is forever
    > > etc. The disconnects are accompanied with the message "due to network
    > > error, pleas try again"...
    >
    > This could be many things - defective network card, buggy network card
    > drivers, poor quality router, poor quality network card, poor quality
    > Internet connection, etc. Update your hardware drivers to the latest
    > version provided by the manufacturer of the network device - make sure
    your
    > router has the latest firmware - make sure your cables are of good quality
    > and contact your ISP for assistance.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    Well...turns out to be a problem with the router. SMC emailed me a
    firmware update which is not located on their support website. It fixed
    everything!!!

    Jan Matejka wrote:
    > Well...turns out to be a problem with the router. SMC emailed me a
    > firmware update which is not located on their support website. It
    > fixed everything!!!

    Glad I could point you in the right direction.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

Desktops Windows XP