Torn VHS video tape

Is it possible to successfully repair a torn VHS video tape?

I tried to purchase a tape repair kit today and it appears they are not
available now - at least at the shops I tried.

Jackie

"Jackie" <Jackie@TAKEOUT.senet.com.au> wrote in message
> Is it possible to successfully repair a torn VHS video tape?
>
> I tried to purchase a tape repair kit today and it appears they are not
> available now - at least at the shops I tried.
>
> Jackie

Have you tried just carefully cutting a couple of small strips
of "Scotch Tape" (Cellophane tape) and sandwiching your
VHS tape between them?

Luck;
Ken

"Ken Maltby" wrote ...
> Have you tried just carefully cutting a couple of small strips
> of "Scotch Tape" (Cellophane tape) and sandwiching your
> VHS tape between them?

I'd never do such a thing. A piece of sticky tape on the oxide-
side of the videotape is enough to thoroughly crash the rotating
heads. Either use *real* mag-tape splicing tape on the *back-
side only* or let someone do it who has experience doing
such things.

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

"Jackie" <Jackie@TAKEOUT.senet.com.au> wrote in message
> Is it possible to successfully repair a torn VHS video tape?
>
> I tried to purchase a tape repair kit today and it appears they are not
> available now - at least at the shops I tried.
>
> Jackie

Yes, it's possible. If the tape is torn but not crinkled... splice the ends
together as neatly as you can and immediately make a copy of it. Radio shack
used to sell audio splicing tape that works well. But the tape splice is not
good for the VTR heads so only run it once and dub it.
If the tape is crinkled you may have to trim the ends and thus lose some
content.