record to tape from Adobe Premiere 1.5 pro

I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is copying
to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5? Maybe I
need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I think it is
the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame drops in 1.5

--

www.madwolfvideos.com
directing/videographer/shorts

    I think I might have found why I get frame drops!... I was shooting with the
    XL2 24 frames and when I edited in 1.5, I never used the Panosonic 24p
    option when editing, I wonder if this is the cause?

    "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
    >using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
    >zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is copying
    >to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5? Maybe I
    >need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I think it is
    >the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame drops in 1.5
    >
    > --
    >

    > www.madwolfvideos.com
    > directing/videographer/shorts
    > 3-D logos-Special Effects
    > dusty-roads@earthlink.net

    "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
    >using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
    >zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is copying
    >to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5? Maybe I
    >need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I think it is
    >the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame drops in 1.5
    >
    > --
    >

    > www.madwolfvideos.com
    > directing/videographer/shorts
    > 3-D logos-Special Effects
    > dusty-roads@earthlink.net

    The screen does not go blank in PPro as it did in 6.5. You should see a
    blueish screen with text in the monitor window when exporting to tape in
    PPro.

    What is your output tape device - analog or digital? If digital are you
    using a proprietary card's firewire port? Have you verified device control
    for your output device?

    But on the second thought, I do not think this is the cause, I will leave it
    up to someone in this news group to see why I get frame drops in 1.5

    >I think I might have found why I get frame drops!... I was shooting with
    >the XL2 24 frames and when I edited in 1.5, I never used the Panosonic 24p
    >option when editing, I wonder if this is the cause?
    >

    > "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
    >>using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
    >>zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is
    >>copying to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5?
    >>Maybe I need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I
    >>think it is the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame
    >>drops in 1.5
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> www.madwolfvideos.com
    >> directing/videographer/shorts
    >> 3-D logos-Special Effects
    >> dusty-roads@earthlink.net

    I am using firewire for transmitting the clip to a DSR-11. I have not check
    device control to see what it is set at. I am using firewire to digital out
    put to my DSR-11. I never had as many frames drops before. In 6.5, I
    hardly had any frame drops. I also disconnect my modem so I do not have
    anything coming in the background.

    I might have to reload 1.5 to get back at the defaults, it could be that I
    have something done by me that is causing these fram drops.

    > I am using firewire for transmitting the clip to a DSR-11. I have not
    > check device control to see what it is set at. I am using firewire to
    > digital out put to my DSR-11. I never had as many frames drops before.
    > In 6.5, I hardly had any frame drops. I also disconnect my modem so I do
    > not have anything coming in the background.
    >
    > I might have to reload 1.5 to get back at the defaults, it could be that I
    > have something done by me that is causing these fram drops.

    The first thing that I would do is choose Edit -> Preferences -> Device
    Control -> Options
    and choose "Sony" from the "Device Brand" drop-down-list and choose "DSR-11"
    from the "Device Type" drop-down-list.

    Before going much further I would ask which drives you are using for your
    video AND your audio conform files.

    "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
    >using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
    >zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is copying
    >to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5? Maybe I
    >need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I think it is
    >the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame drops in 1.5
    >
    > --
    >

    > www.madwolfvideos.com
    > directing/videographer/shorts
    > 3-D logos-Special Effects
    > dusty-roads@earthlink.net

    I am using my main drive, but I never had any problems with 6.5 using the
    same drive. And also I never had to contend with audio conform files before
    also.

    "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
    > Before going much further I would ask which drives you are using for your
    > video AND your audio conform files.
    >

    > "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
    >>using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
    >>zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is
    >>copying to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5?
    >>Maybe I need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I
    >>think it is the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame
    >>drops in 1.5
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> www.madwolfvideos.com
    >> directing/videographer/shorts
    >> 3-D logos-Special Effects
    >> dusty-roads@earthlink.net

    I did not have the DSR-11 selected, I just selected it. Do you think that
    could of been the culpit?

    > "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I am using firewire for transmitting the clip to a DSR-11. I have not
    >> check device control to see what it is set at. I am using firewire to
    >> digital out put to my DSR-11. I never had as many frames drops before.
    >> In 6.5, I hardly had any frame drops. I also disconnect my modem so I do
    >> not have anything coming in the background.
    >>
    >> I might have to reload 1.5 to get back at the defaults, it could be that
    >> I have something done by me that is causing these fram drops.
    >>

    > The first thing that I would do is choose Edit -> Preferences -> Device
    > Control -> Options
    > and choose "Sony" from the "Device Brand" drop-down-list and choose
    > "DSR-11" from the "Device Type" drop-down-list.

    I did not have the DSR-11 selected in the control device in 1.5...do you
    think that what was causing my frame drops?/

    I do not have a video clip to edit, but I will find out soon if that what
    was causing it.

    >I did not have the DSR-11 selected, I just selected it. Do you think that
    >could of been the culpit?

    I record from a TRV900 and output to an AGDV1000. When I forget to set the
    correct output device I see dropped frames and worse.

    Also, it's much better to have a physically separate drive (not a different
    partition on the same drive) to capture to and set as your scratch disk.
    Drives are so cheap these days.

    There's your problem

    Get a 2nd Drive, and move both the media and the audio conform directories
    there.

    There is very little chance you will get it to work well using you system
    drive.

    >I am using my main drive, but I never had any problems with 6.5 using the
    >same drive. And also I never had to contend with audio conform files
    >before also.
    >

    > "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
    >> Before going much further I would ask which drives you are using for your
    >> video AND your audio conform files.
    >>

    >> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>>I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
    >>>using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
    >>>zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is
    >>>copying to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5?
    >>>Maybe I need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I
    >>>think it is the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame
    >>>drops in 1.5
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>

    >>> www.madwolfvideos.com
    >>> directing/videographer/shorts
    >>> 3-D logos-Special Effects
    >>> dusty-roads@earthlink.net

    I have an external drive, would that be a place to put my adobe premiere
    1.5? My external Maxtor is on firewire! Right now, I use my main drive in
    my computer and when I edit, the captured video goes to the "My Document"
    adobe folder automatically.

    > "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>I did not have the DSR-11 selected, I just selected it. Do you think that
    >>could of been the culpit?
    >>
    > I record from a TRV900 and output to an AGDV1000. When I forget to set the
    > correct output device I see dropped frames and worse.
    >
    > Also, it's much better to have a physically separate drive (not a
    > different partition on the same drive) to capture to and set as your
    > scratch disk. Drives are so cheap these days.

    I have a Maxtor firewire external drive, would it be better to put Premiere
    1.5 there instead of my Programs on my main drive? I have more then enough
    space? Right now my captured clips go to the My Documents on a folder named
    Adobe that was put there automatically.

    >I have a Maxtor firewire external drive, would it be better to put Premiere
    >1.5 there instead of my Programs on my main drive? I have more then enough
    >space? Right now my captured clips go to the My Documents on a folder
    >named Adobe that was put there automatically.

    no leave premiere where it is and move all of your media directories to
    another drive. Try the firewire drive for starters.Although there have been
    problems using a firewire drive AND a firewire camera on the same bus. So I
    recommend a large drive by itself for video and audio files. It has always
    been problematic to have you media on your C: drive. While it may work
    sometimes.. it is not a good solution.

    > "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
    >> There's your problem
    >>
    >> Get a 2nd Drive, and move both the media and the audio conform
    >> directories there.
    >>
    >> There is very little chance you will get it to work well using you
    >> system drive.
    >>

    >> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>>I am using my main drive, but I never had any problems with 6.5 using the
    >>>same drive. And also I never had to contend with audio conform files
    >>>before also.
    >>>

    >>> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message

    Please explain what is Media directories, I am not that versed in computer
    stuff only the editing of videos. Explain what are media directories and
    how to move them.

    > "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a Maxtor firewire external drive, would it be better to put
    >>Premiere 1.5 there instead of my Programs on my main drive? I have more
    >>then enough space? Right now my captured clips go to the My Documents on
    >>a folder named Adobe that was put there automatically.
    >
    > no leave premiere where it is and move all of your media directories to
    > another drive. Try the firewire drive for starters.Although there have
    > been problems using a firewire drive AND a firewire camera on the same
    > bus. So I recommend a large drive by itself for video and audio files. It
    > has always been problematic to have you media on your C: drive. While it
    > may work sometimes.. it is not a good solution.
    >

    >> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
    >>> There's your problem
    >>>
    >>> Get a 2nd Drive, and move both the media and the audio conform
    >>> directories there.
    >>>
    >>> There is very little chance you will get it to work well using you
    >>> system drive.
    >>>

    >>> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    Leo wrote ...
    > Please explain what is Media directories, I am not that versed
    > in computer stuff only the editing of videos. Explain what are
    > media directories and how to move them.

    "Media directories" are the folders where you put your video
    (and audio) files. Only you know where they are on your
    computer as you selected (or permitted the default) location.

    It is a bad idea to keep your video and audio files on the same
    drive as you boot from. It forces the disc drive to keep up with
    both recording./playing the large media files AND doing all the
    work it takes to run the operating system and the application(s).

    They can be moved just as you would move any other computer
    file.

    So instead of having my video and audio files go to the "My Documents" on my
    hard drive, have them go to the external drive, is this correct? I know how
    to move them by just telling 1.5 to send them to my external drive. Hope I
    am correct?

    > Leo wrote ...
    >> Please explain what is Media directories, I am not that versed in
    >> computer stuff only the editing of videos. Explain what are media
    >> directories and how to move them.
    >
    > "Media directories" are the folders where you put your video
    > (and audio) files. Only you know where they are on your
    > computer as you selected (or permitted the default) location.
    >
    > It is a bad idea to keep your video and audio files on the same
    > drive as you boot from. It forces the disc drive to keep up with
    > both recording./playing the large media files AND doing all the
    > work it takes to run the operating system and the application(s).
    >
    > They can be moved just as you would move any other computer
    > file.

    Lee wrote ...
    > So instead of having my video and audio files go to the "My Documents"
    > on my hard drive,

    Yes, you are correct. "My Documents" is on the "C:" drive where
    the operating system and program files are. It is NOT a good place
    to store real-time files like video. It is fine for non-real-time files
    like documents, still images, etc. It is even usually sufficient for
    low-rate audio files like MP3, MIDI, or even WAV.

    > have them go to the external drive, is this correct? I know how to
    > move them by just telling 1.5 to send them to my external drive. Hope
    > I am correct?

    Storing media files on a *different* drive from your boot drive
    is always a good idea. Whether storing them on an *external*
    drive is a good thing depends on the external drive. Specifically,
    it must be fast enough to meet your demands.

    > Please explain what is Media directories, I am not that versed in computer
    > stuff only the editing of videos. Explain what are media directories and
    > how to move them.

    The media directories are the locations of your captured videos and the
    auto-save, preview, and conformed audio folders.

    Start Windows Explorer (right click ont he "Start" button and choose
    "Explore" from the pop-up menu) and select the folder that currently
    contains these files.

    If they're not in their own folder, right-click in the folder that contains
    them and choose "New" -> "Folder".

    Now, while holding your Control-Key click on each of your media files and
    folders until all are selected. Release the Control-Ky and mouse button.

    Right drag your new folder to the left in Windows Explorer and drop it onto
    your other drive. Release the mouse button and choose "move here" from the
    pop-up menu.

    When you restart the project you will have to answer a series of dialogue
    boxes asking where the media's now located.

    STARTING A NEW PROJECT

    When you start a new project in PPro the "New Project" window appears.

    At the bottom right of the window next to "Location" choose "Browse"

    Click on the + sign beside "My Computer" to expand that branch to see the
    drives.

    Choose the drive, which should be your separate non-C: drive, by clicking on
    it and then choose "Make New Folder"

    A folder with the default name of "New Folder" appears highlighted. Type in
    the name of your project folder and click OK.

    Now click your mouse in the "Name" field and give your project a name.

    Premiere will start and give you the workspace. *Now* capture your video
    from the camera.

    From the "Capture" window choose the "Settings" tab in the upper right
    corner of the window.

    Look at your "Capture locations". They should default to "same as project".
    If not click the arrow in each drop down list for video and audio and set
    them to "same as project"

    All of your media files will reside in the new folder.

    will comply, and thanks

    > "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Please explain what is Media directories, I am not that versed in
    >> computer stuff only the editing of videos. Explain what are media
    >> directories and how to move them.
    >>
    > The media directories are the locations of your captured videos and the
    > auto-save, preview, and conformed audio folders.
    >
    > Start Windows Explorer (right click ont he "Start" button and choose
    > "Explore" from the pop-up menu) and select the folder that currently
    > contains these files.
    >
    > If they're not in their own folder, right-click in the folder that
    > contains them and choose "New" -> "Folder".
    >
    > Now, while holding your Control-Key click on each of your media files and
    > folders until all are selected. Release the Control-Ky and mouse button.
    >
    > Right drag your new folder to the left in Windows Explorer and drop it
    > onto your other drive. Release the mouse button and choose "move here"
    > from the pop-up menu.
    >
    > When you restart the project you will have to answer a series of dialogue
    > boxes asking where the media's now located.
    >
    > STARTING A NEW PROJECT
    >
    > When you start a new project in PPro the "New Project" window appears.
    >
    > At the bottom right of the window next to "Location" choose "Browse"
    >
    > Click on the + sign beside "My Computer" to expand that branch to see the
    > drives.
    >
    > Choose the drive, which should be your separate non-C: drive, by clicking
    > on it and then choose "Make New Folder"
    >
    > A folder with the default name of "New Folder" appears highlighted. Type
    > in the name of your project folder and click OK.
    >
    > Now click your mouse in the "Name" field and give your project a name.
    >
    > Premiere will start and give you the workspace. *Now* capture your video
    > from the camera.
    >
    > From the "Capture" window choose the "Settings" tab in the upper right
    > corner of the window.
    >
    > Look at your "Capture locations". They should default to "same as
    > project". If not click the arrow in each drop down list for video and
    > audio and set them to "same as project"
    >
    > All of your media files will reside in the new folder.

    Very true and will comply on my next editing stint...thanks

    > Lee wrote ...
    >> So instead of having my video and audio files go to the "My Documents" on
    >> my hard drive,
    >
    > Yes, you are correct. "My Documents" is on the "C:" drive where
    > the operating system and program files are. It is NOT a good place
    > to store real-time files like video. It is fine for non-real-time files
    > like documents, still images, etc. It is even usually sufficient for
    > low-rate audio files like MP3, MIDI, or even WAV.
    >
    >> have them go to the external drive, is this correct? I know how to move
    >> them by just telling 1.5 to send them to my external drive. Hope I am
    >> correct?
    >
    > Storing media files on a *different* drive from your boot drive
    > is always a good idea. Whether storing them on an *external*
    > drive is a good thing depends on the external drive. Specifically,
    > it must be fast enough to meet your demands.

    Once I move my files to the external drive, can I delete the files that were
    in "My Documents" on my C drive??

    > Once I move my files to the external drive, can I delete the files that
    > were in "My Documents" on my C drive??

    Moving your files means the will no longer be on your C drive.

    oops, I did not move them, I dragged them, is there a difference.

    > oops, I did not move them, I dragged them, is there a difference.
    > "Captain Slick" <CaptainSlick@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> Once I move my files to the external drive, can I delete the files that
    >>> were in "My Documents" on my C drive??
    >>
    >> Moving your files means the will no longer be on your C drive.

    When dragging from one drive or partition to another the default action is
    copy. When dragging from one folder on a drive to another folder on the same
    drive the default action in move.

    Right dragging is better because it gives you the opportunity to verify the
    action.

    I messed up and dragged my files instead of moving to my external drive. I
    realize what the difference was, can I delete my old files in my C drive
    now?

    "Captain Slick" <CaptainSlick@verizon.net> wrote in message

    > "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Once I move my files to the external drive, can I delete the files that
    >> were in "My Documents" on my C drive??
    >
    > Moving your files means the will no longer be on your C drive.

    Set your scratch disks for MEDIA and Audio Conform to the proper areas on
    the new drive. See manual.

    If you wish, COPY the media and the audio conform files to the new area
    which you set in the scratch disk settings of Premiere. They will be where
    ever Premiere was set to prior to assigning the new directories..

    Delete the old files on the C: drive.

    Run Premiere and load your project, which should still be on you C drive.

    It will prompt you to find the files, browse to your new directories and
    Premiere will find the files in their new location

    > I messed up and dragged my files instead of moving to my external drive.
    > I realize what the difference was, can I delete my old files in my C drive
    > now?
    >
    > "Captain Slick" <CaptainSlick@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> Once I move my files to the external drive, can I delete the files that
    >>> were in "My Documents" on my C drive??
    >>
    >> Moving your files means the will no longer be on your C drive.

    "nap" wrote ...
    > Set your scratch disks for MEDIA and Audio Conform to the proper areas on
    > the new drive. See manual.
    >
    > If you wish, COPY the media and the audio conform files to the new area
    > which you set in the scratch disk settings of Premiere. They will be
    where
    > ever Premiere was set to prior to assigning the new directories..
    >
    > Delete the old files on the C: drive.
    >
    > Run Premiere and load your project, which should still be on you C drive.
    >
    > It will prompt you to find the files, browse to your new directories and
    > Premiere will find the files in their new location

    I create a new directory for each project and keep the project file
    and all the media files all in that directory. That way everything stays
    together if I need to move them or archive them.

    "Richard Crowley" <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote in message
    > "nap" wrote ...
    >> Set your scratch disks for MEDIA and Audio Conform to the proper areas on
    >> the new drive. See manual.
    >>
    >> If you wish, COPY the media and the audio conform files to the new area
    >> which you set in the scratch disk settings of Premiere. They will be
    > where
    >> ever Premiere was set to prior to assigning the new directories..
    >>
    >> Delete the old files on the C: drive.
    >>
    >> Run Premiere and load your project, which should still be on you C drive.
    >>
    >> It will prompt you to find the files, browse to your new directories and
    >> Premiere will find the files in their new location
    >
    > I create a new directory for each project and keep the project file
    > and all the media files all in that directory. That way everything stays
    > together if I need to move them or archive them.

    Agreed! Onthing I don't do that I probably should is move the previews out
    to a faster drive, form the project folder. I never have projects on the
    system drive so I suppose it is OK. I have a 'project' drive which I keep
    all project files, titles, animation, audio, music, preview files etc...and
    keep captured media and audio conform files on a 500GB SATA raid. Only
    relly used the RAID for the size but it is a raid 0 ..

    Yes, I found that out. Hopefully when I do a production, I should see if
    my frame drop is eliminated. Thanks to all that helped. It is hard for one
    person to do everything...edit, videotape, sound, coordinate, etc., etc.

    > "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> oops, I did not move them, I dragged them, is there a difference.
    >> "Captain Slick" <CaptainSlick@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Moving your files means the will no longer be on your C drive.
    >>>

    > When dragging from one drive or partition to another the default action is
    > copy. When dragging from one folder on a drive to another folder on the
    > same drive the default action in move.
    >
    > Right dragging is better because it gives you the opportunity to verify
    > the action.

Tuner Cards Adobe Premiere Video Graphics