record to tape from Adobe Premiere 1.5 pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 31, 2005 6:00:29 PM

I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is copying
to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5? Maybe I
need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I think it is
the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame drops in 1.5

--

www.madwolfvideos.com
directing/videographer/shorts

I think I might have found why I get frame drops!... I was shooting with the
XL2 24 frames and when I edited in 1.5, I never used the Panosonic 24p
option when editing, I wonder if this is the cause?

"l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
>using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
>zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is copying
>to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5? Maybe I
>need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I think it is
>the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame drops in 1.5
>
> --
>

> www.madwolfvideos.com
> directing/videographer/shorts
> 3-D logos-Special Effects
> dusty-roads@earthlink.net

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 6:18:07 PM

"l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
>using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
>zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is copying
>to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5? Maybe I
>need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I think it is
>the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame drops in 1.5
>
> --
>

> www.madwolfvideos.com
> directing/videographer/shorts
> 3-D logos-Special Effects
> dusty-roads@earthlink.net

The screen does not go blank in PPro as it did in 6.5. You should see a
blueish screen with text in the monitor window when exporting to tape in
PPro.

What is your output tape device - analog or digital? If digital are you
using a proprietary card's firewire port? Have you verified device control
for your output device?
Related resources
March 31, 2005 6:19:21 PM

But on the second thought, I do not think this is the cause, I will leave it
up to someone in this news group to see why I get frame drops in 1.5

>I think I might have found why I get frame drops!... I was shooting with
>the XL2 24 frames and when I edited in 1.5, I never used the Panosonic 24p
>option when editing, I wonder if this is the cause?
>

> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
>>using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
>>zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is
>>copying to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5?
>>Maybe I need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I
>>think it is the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame
>>drops in 1.5
>>
>> --
>>

>> www.madwolfvideos.com
>> directing/videographer/shorts
>> 3-D logos-Special Effects
>> dusty-roads@earthlink.net

March 31, 2005 7:43:54 PM

I am using firewire for transmitting the clip to a DSR-11. I have not check
device control to see what it is set at. I am using firewire to digital out
put to my DSR-11. I never had as many frames drops before. In 6.5, I
hardly had any frame drops. I also disconnect my modem so I do not have
anything coming in the background.

I might have to reload 1.5 to get back at the defaults, it could be that I
have something done by me that is causing these fram drops.

"Captain Slick" <CaptainSlick@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
>>using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
>>zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is
>>copying to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5?
>>Maybe I need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I
>>think it is the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame
>>drops in 1.5
>>
>> --
>>

>> www.madwolfvideos.com
>> directing/videographer/shorts
>> 3-D logos-Special Effects
>> dusty-roads@earthlink.net
>>

> The screen does not go blank in PPro as it did in 6.5. You should see a
> blueish screen with text in the monitor window when exporting to tape in
> PPro.
>
> What is your output tape device - analog or digital? If digital are you
> using a proprietary card's firewire port? Have you verified device control
> for your output device?

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 8:48:42 PM

> I am using firewire for transmitting the clip to a DSR-11. I have not
> check device control to see what it is set at. I am using firewire to
> digital out put to my DSR-11. I never had as many frames drops before.
> In 6.5, I hardly had any frame drops. I also disconnect my modem so I do
> not have anything coming in the background.
>
> I might have to reload 1.5 to get back at the defaults, it could be that I
> have something done by me that is causing these fram drops.

The first thing that I would do is choose Edit -> Preferences -> Device
Control -> Options
and choose "Sony" from the "Device Brand" drop-down-list and choose "DSR-11"
from the "Device Type" drop-down-list.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:08:35 PM

Before going much further I would ask which drives you are using for your
video AND your audio conform files.

"l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
>using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
>zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is copying
>to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5? Maybe I
>need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I think it is
>the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame drops in 1.5
>
> --
>

> www.madwolfvideos.com
> directing/videographer/shorts
> 3-D logos-Special Effects
> dusty-roads@earthlink.net

March 31, 2005 11:23:39 PM

I am using my main drive, but I never had any problems with 6.5 using the
same drive. And also I never had to contend with audio conform files before
also.

"nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
> Before going much further I would ask which drives you are using for your
> video AND your audio conform files.
>

> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
>>using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
>>zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is
>>copying to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5?
>>Maybe I need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I
>>think it is the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame
>>drops in 1.5
>>
>> --
>>

>> www.madwolfvideos.com
>> directing/videographer/shorts
>> 3-D logos-Special Effects
>> dusty-roads@earthlink.net

March 31, 2005 11:32:56 PM

I did not have the DSR-11 selected, I just selected it. Do you think that
could of been the culpit?

> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I am using firewire for transmitting the clip to a DSR-11. I have not
>> check device control to see what it is set at. I am using firewire to
>> digital out put to my DSR-11. I never had as many frames drops before.
>> In 6.5, I hardly had any frame drops. I also disconnect my modem so I do
>> not have anything coming in the background.
>>
>> I might have to reload 1.5 to get back at the defaults, it could be that
>> I have something done by me that is causing these fram drops.
>>

> The first thing that I would do is choose Edit -> Preferences -> Device
> Control -> Options
> and choose "Sony" from the "Device Brand" drop-down-list and choose
> "DSR-11" from the "Device Type" drop-down-list.

March 31, 2005 11:34:22 PM

I did not have the DSR-11 selected in the control device in 1.5...do you
think that what was causing my frame drops?/

I do not have a video clip to edit, but I will find out soon if that what
was causing it.

"l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
>using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
>zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is copying
>to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5? Maybe I
>need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I think it is
>the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame drops in 1.5
>
> --
>

> www.madwolfvideos.com
> directing/videographer/shorts
> 3-D logos-Special Effects
> dusty-roads@earthlink.net

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:00:46 AM

>I did not have the DSR-11 selected, I just selected it. Do you think that
>could of been the culpit?

I record from a TRV900 and output to an AGDV1000. When I forget to set the
correct output device I see dropped frames and worse.

Also, it's much better to have a physically separate drive (not a different
partition on the same drive) to capture to and set as your scratch disk.
Drives are so cheap these days.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:34:12 AM

There's your problem

Get a 2nd Drive, and move both the media and the audio conform directories
there.

There is very little chance you will get it to work well using you system
drive.

>I am using my main drive, but I never had any problems with 6.5 using the
>same drive. And also I never had to contend with audio conform files
>before also.
>

> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
>> Before going much further I would ask which drives you are using for your
>> video AND your audio conform files.
>>

>> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>I have had many frame drops when copying my edited video clips to tape
>>>using Pro 1.5, but when I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and copy to tape, I get
>>>zero frames drops. When using 6.5 the screen goes blank when it is
>>>copying to tape, could this be why I do not get any frame drops in 6.5?
>>>Maybe I need to do something to 1.5 for it not to have frame drops. I
>>>think it is the hard drive that is having to do too much and I get frame
>>>drops in 1.5
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> www.madwolfvideos.com
>>> directing/videographer/shorts
>>> 3-D logos-Special Effects
>>> dusty-roads@earthlink.net

April 1, 2005 5:15:54 AM

I have an external drive, would that be a place to put my adobe premiere
1.5? My external Maxtor is on firewire! Right now, I use my main drive in
my computer and when I edit, the captured video goes to the "My Document"
adobe folder automatically.

"Captain Slick" <CaptainSlick@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o FY2e.53$7b.3@trndny01...

> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I did not have the DSR-11 selected, I just selected it. Do you think that
>>could of been the culpit?
>>
> I record from a TRV900 and output to an AGDV1000. When I forget to set the
> correct output device I see dropped frames and worse.
>
> Also, it's much better to have a physically separate drive (not a
> different partition on the same drive) to capture to and set as your
> scratch disk. Drives are so cheap these days.

April 1, 2005 5:17:59 AM

I have a Maxtor firewire external drive, would it be better to put Premiere
1.5 there instead of my Programs on my main drive? I have more then enough
space? Right now my captured clips go to the My Documents on a folder named
Adobe that was put there automatically.

"nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
news:o 1_2e.10354$zl.3323@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> There's your problem
>
> Get a 2nd Drive, and move both the media and the audio conform directories
> there.
>
> There is very little chance you will get it to work well using you system
> drive.
>

> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I am using my main drive, but I never had any problems with 6.5 using the
>>same drive. And also I never had to contend with audio conform files
>>before also.
>>

>> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
>>> Before going much further I would ask which drives you are using for
>>> your video AND your audio conform files.
>>>

>>> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 6:08:10 PM

>I have a Maxtor firewire external drive, would it be better to put Premiere
>1.5 there instead of my Programs on my main drive? I have more then enough
>space? Right now my captured clips go to the My Documents on a folder
>named Adobe that was put there automatically.

no leave premiere where it is and move all of your media directories to
another drive. Try the firewire drive for starters.Although there have been
problems using a firewire drive AND a firewire camera on the same bus. So I
recommend a large drive by itself for video and audio files. It has always
been problematic to have you media on your C: drive. While it may work
sometimes.. it is not a good solution.

> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
> news:o 1_2e.10354$zl.3323@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>> There's your problem
>>
>> Get a 2nd Drive, and move both the media and the audio conform
>> directories there.
>>
>> There is very little chance you will get it to work well using you
>> system drive.
>>

>> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>I am using my main drive, but I never had any problems with 6.5 using the
>>>same drive. And also I never had to contend with audio conform files
>>>before also.
>>>

>>> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message

April 1, 2005 7:35:48 PM

Please explain what is Media directories, I am not that versed in computer
stuff only the editing of videos. Explain what are media directories and
how to move them.

> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Maxtor firewire external drive, would it be better to put
>>Premiere 1.5 there instead of my Programs on my main drive? I have more
>>then enough space? Right now my captured clips go to the My Documents on
>>a folder named Adobe that was put there automatically.
>
> no leave premiere where it is and move all of your media directories to
> another drive. Try the firewire drive for starters.Although there have
> been problems using a firewire drive AND a firewire camera on the same
> bus. So I recommend a large drive by itself for video and audio files. It
> has always been problematic to have you media on your C: drive. While it
> may work sometimes.. it is not a good solution.
>

>> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 1_2e.10354$zl.3323@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>>> There's your problem
>>>
>>> Get a 2nd Drive, and move both the media and the audio conform
>>> directories there.
>>>
>>> There is very little chance you will get it to work well using you
>>> system drive.
>>>

>>> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:35:49 PM

Leo wrote ...
> Please explain what is Media directories, I am not that versed
> in computer stuff only the editing of videos. Explain what are
> media directories and how to move them.

"Media directories" are the folders where you put your video
(and audio) files. Only you know where they are on your
computer as you selected (or permitted the default) location.

It is a bad idea to keep your video and audio files on the same
drive as you boot from. It forces the disc drive to keep up with
both recording./playing the large media files AND doing all the
work it takes to run the operating system and the application(s).

They can be moved just as you would move any other computer
file.
April 1, 2005 8:04:47 PM

So instead of having my video and audio files go to the "My Documents" on my
hard drive, have them go to the external drive, is this correct? I know how
to move them by just telling 1.5 to send them to my external drive. Hope I
am correct?

> Leo wrote ...
>> Please explain what is Media directories, I am not that versed in
>> computer stuff only the editing of videos. Explain what are media
>> directories and how to move them.
>
> "Media directories" are the folders where you put your video
> (and audio) files. Only you know where they are on your
> computer as you selected (or permitted the default) location.
>
> It is a bad idea to keep your video and audio files on the same
> drive as you boot from. It forces the disc drive to keep up with
> both recording./playing the large media files AND doing all the
> work it takes to run the operating system and the application(s).
>
> They can be moved just as you would move any other computer
> file.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:04:48 PM

Lee wrote ...
> So instead of having my video and audio files go to the "My Documents"
> on my hard drive,

Yes, you are correct. "My Documents" is on the "C:" drive where
the operating system and program files are. It is NOT a good place
to store real-time files like video. It is fine for non-real-time files
like documents, still images, etc. It is even usually sufficient for
low-rate audio files like MP3, MIDI, or even WAV.

> have them go to the external drive, is this correct? I know how to
> move them by just telling 1.5 to send them to my external drive. Hope
> I am correct?

Storing media files on a *different* drive from your boot drive
is always a good idea. Whether storing them on an *external*
drive is a good thing depends on the external drive. Specifically,
it must be fast enough to meet your demands.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:08:32 PM

"l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:o Td3e.330$N13.242@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Please explain what is Media directories, I am not that versed in computer
> stuff only the editing of videos. Explain what are media directories and
> how to move them.

The media directories are the locations of your captured videos and the
auto-save, preview, and conformed audio folders.

Start Windows Explorer (right click ont he "Start" button and choose
"Explore" from the pop-up menu) and select the folder that currently
contains these files.

If they're not in their own folder, right-click in the folder that contains
them and choose "New" -> "Folder".

Now, while holding your Control-Key click on each of your media files and
folders until all are selected. Release the Control-Ky and mouse button.

Right drag your new folder to the left in Windows Explorer and drop it onto
your other drive. Release the mouse button and choose "move here" from the
pop-up menu.

When you restart the project you will have to answer a series of dialogue
boxes asking where the media's now located.

STARTING A NEW PROJECT

When you start a new project in PPro the "New Project" window appears.

At the bottom right of the window next to "Location" choose "Browse"

Click on the + sign beside "My Computer" to expand that branch to see the
drives.

Choose the drive, which should be your separate non-C: drive, by clicking on
it and then choose "Make New Folder"

A folder with the default name of "New Folder" appears highlighted. Type in
the name of your project folder and click OK.

Now click your mouse in the "Name" field and give your project a name.

Premiere will start and give you the workspace. *Now* capture your video
from the camera.

From the "Capture" window choose the "Settings" tab in the upper right
corner of the window.

Look at your "Capture locations". They should default to "same as project".
If not click the arrow in each drop down list for video and audio and set
them to "same as project"

All of your media files will reside in the new folder.
April 1, 2005 8:20:39 PM

will comply, and thanks

> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:o Td3e.330$N13.242@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>> Please explain what is Media directories, I am not that versed in
>> computer stuff only the editing of videos. Explain what are media
>> directories and how to move them.
>>
> The media directories are the locations of your captured videos and the
> auto-save, preview, and conformed audio folders.
>
> Start Windows Explorer (right click ont he "Start" button and choose
> "Explore" from the pop-up menu) and select the folder that currently
> contains these files.
>
> If they're not in their own folder, right-click in the folder that
> contains them and choose "New" -> "Folder".
>
> Now, while holding your Control-Key click on each of your media files and
> folders until all are selected. Release the Control-Ky and mouse button.
>
> Right drag your new folder to the left in Windows Explorer and drop it
> onto your other drive. Release the mouse button and choose "move here"
> from the pop-up menu.
>
> When you restart the project you will have to answer a series of dialogue
> boxes asking where the media's now located.
>
> STARTING A NEW PROJECT
>
> When you start a new project in PPro the "New Project" window appears.
>
> At the bottom right of the window next to "Location" choose "Browse"
>
> Click on the + sign beside "My Computer" to expand that branch to see the
> drives.
>
> Choose the drive, which should be your separate non-C: drive, by clicking
> on it and then choose "Make New Folder"
>
> A folder with the default name of "New Folder" appears highlighted. Type
> in the name of your project folder and click OK.
>
> Now click your mouse in the "Name" field and give your project a name.
>
> Premiere will start and give you the workspace. *Now* capture your video
> from the camera.
>
> From the "Capture" window choose the "Settings" tab in the upper right
> corner of the window.
>
> Look at your "Capture locations". They should default to "same as
> project". If not click the arrow in each drop down list for video and
> audio and set them to "same as project"
>
> All of your media files will reside in the new folder.

April 1, 2005 8:21:10 PM

Very true and will comply on my next editing stint...thanks

> Lee wrote ...
>> So instead of having my video and audio files go to the "My Documents" on
>> my hard drive,
>
> Yes, you are correct. "My Documents" is on the "C:" drive where
> the operating system and program files are. It is NOT a good place
> to store real-time files like video. It is fine for non-real-time files
> like documents, still images, etc. It is even usually sufficient for
> low-rate audio files like MP3, MIDI, or even WAV.
>
>> have them go to the external drive, is this correct? I know how to move
>> them by just telling 1.5 to send them to my external drive. Hope I am
>> correct?
>
> Storing media files on a *different* drive from your boot drive
> is always a good idea. Whether storing them on an *external*
> drive is a good thing depends on the external drive. Specifically,
> it must be fast enough to meet your demands.
April 1, 2005 8:38:21 PM

Once I move my files to the external drive, can I delete the files that were
in "My Documents" on my C drive??

"Captain Slick" <CaptainSlick@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:o Td3e.330$N13.242@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>> Please explain what is Media directories, I am not that versed in
>> computer stuff only the editing of videos. Explain what are media
>> directories and how to move them.
>>
> The media directories are the locations of your captured videos and the
> auto-save, preview, and conformed audio folders.
>
> Start Windows Explorer (right click ont he "Start" button and choose
> "Explore" from the pop-up menu) and select the folder that currently
> contains these files.
>
> If they're not in their own folder, right-click in the folder that
> contains them and choose "New" -> "Folder".
>
> Now, while holding your Control-Key click on each of your media files and
> folders until all are selected. Release the Control-Ky and mouse button.
>
> Right drag your new folder to the left in Windows Explorer and drop it
> onto your other drive. Release the mouse button and choose "move here"
> from the pop-up menu.
>
> When you restart the project you will have to answer a series of dialogue
> boxes asking where the media's now located.
>
> STARTING A NEW PROJECT
>
> When you start a new project in PPro the "New Project" window appears.
>
> At the bottom right of the window next to "Location" choose "Browse"
>
> Click on the + sign beside "My Computer" to expand that branch to see the
> drives.
>
> Choose the drive, which should be your separate non-C: drive, by clicking
> on it and then choose "Make New Folder"
>
> A folder with the default name of "New Folder" appears highlighted. Type
> in the name of your project folder and click OK.
>
> Now click your mouse in the "Name" field and give your project a name.
>
> Premiere will start and give you the workspace. *Now* capture your video
> from the camera.
>
> From the "Capture" window choose the "Settings" tab in the upper right
> corner of the window.
>
> Look at your "Capture locations". They should default to "same as
> project". If not click the arrow in each drop down list for video and
> audio and set them to "same as project"
>
> All of your media files will reside in the new folder.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:47:23 PM

> Once I move my files to the external drive, can I delete the files that
> were in "My Documents" on my C drive??

Moving your files means the will no longer be on your C drive.
April 1, 2005 8:49:38 PM

oops, I did not move them, I dragged them, is there a difference.

> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Once I move my files to the external drive, can I delete the files that
>> were in "My Documents" on my C drive??
>
> Moving your files means the will no longer be on your C drive.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:06:06 PM

> oops, I did not move them, I dragged them, is there a difference.
> "Captain Slick" <CaptainSlick@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> Once I move my files to the external drive, can I delete the files that
>>> were in "My Documents" on my C drive??
>>
>> Moving your files means the will no longer be on your C drive.

When dragging from one drive or partition to another the default action is
copy. When dragging from one folder on a drive to another folder on the same
drive the default action in move.

Right dragging is better because it gives you the opportunity to verify the
action.
April 1, 2005 9:07:10 PM

I messed up and dragged my files instead of moving to my external drive. I
realize what the difference was, can I delete my old files in my C drive
now?

"Captain Slick" <CaptainSlick@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Once I move my files to the external drive, can I delete the files that
>> were in "My Documents" on my C drive??
>
> Moving your files means the will no longer be on your C drive.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:19:13 PM

Set your scratch disks for MEDIA and Audio Conform to the proper areas on
the new drive. See manual.

If you wish, COPY the media and the audio conform files to the new area
which you set in the scratch disk settings of Premiere. They will be where
ever Premiere was set to prior to assigning the new directories..

Delete the old files on the C: drive.

Run Premiere and load your project, which should still be on you C drive.

It will prompt you to find the files, browse to your new directories and
Premiere will find the files in their new location

> I messed up and dragged my files instead of moving to my external drive.
> I realize what the difference was, can I delete my old files in my C drive
> now?
>
> "Captain Slick" <CaptainSlick@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> Once I move my files to the external drive, can I delete the files that
>>> were in "My Documents" on my C drive??
>>
>> Moving your files means the will no longer be on your C drive.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:19:14 PM

"nap" wrote ...
> Set your scratch disks for MEDIA and Audio Conform to the proper areas on
> the new drive. See manual.
>
> If you wish, COPY the media and the audio conform files to the new area
> which you set in the scratch disk settings of Premiere. They will be
where
> ever Premiere was set to prior to assigning the new directories..
>
> Delete the old files on the C: drive.
>
> Run Premiere and load your project, which should still be on you C drive.
>
> It will prompt you to find the files, browse to your new directories and
> Premiere will find the files in their new location

I create a new directory for each project and keep the project file
and all the media files all in that directory. That way everything stays
together if I need to move them or archive them.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:40:33 PM

"Richard Crowley" <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote in message
news:D 2k278$3mr$1@news01.intel.com...
> "nap" wrote ...
>> Set your scratch disks for MEDIA and Audio Conform to the proper areas on
>> the new drive. See manual.
>>
>> If you wish, COPY the media and the audio conform files to the new area
>> which you set in the scratch disk settings of Premiere. They will be
> where
>> ever Premiere was set to prior to assigning the new directories..
>>
>> Delete the old files on the C: drive.
>>
>> Run Premiere and load your project, which should still be on you C drive.
>>
>> It will prompt you to find the files, browse to your new directories and
>> Premiere will find the files in their new location
>
> I create a new directory for each project and keep the project file
> and all the media files all in that directory. That way everything stays
> together if I need to move them or archive them.

Agreed! Onthing I don't do that I probably should is move the previews out
to a faster drive, form the project folder. I never have projects on the
system drive so I suppose it is OK. I have a 'project' drive which I keep
all project files, titles, animation, audio, music, preview files etc...and
keep captured media and audio conform files on a 500GB SATA raid. Only
relly used the RAID for the size but it is a raid 0 ..
April 2, 2005 5:24:26 AM

Yes, I found that out. Hopefully when I do a production, I should see if
my frame drop is eliminated. Thanks to all that helped. It is hard for one
person to do everything...edit, videotape, sound, coordinate, etc., etc.

!