Canon GL2

Just purchased the Canon GL2.
I have as yet to put tape through it. I will test it this week end.
However I was wondering the pros and cons of this camera from you folks out
there?
Yours,
Tom

Had one for nearly a year. It has been good for grandchildren, travel,
and parties. Probably shot 10 tapes worth. Almost as much fun as
motorcycle riding.
Tom

Tom Ellliott wrote:
> Just purchased the Canon GL2.
> I have as yet to put tape through it. I will test it this week end.
> However I was wondering the pros and cons of this camera from you folks out
> there?
> Yours,
> Tom

You wouldn't be the same Tom Elliott that went to Sir Wilfrid Laurier SS?
If so, sorry for being a jerk. If not, disregard. ;)

_________

Lot's of info online on the GL2 BTW...

Excellent camera overall, from what I understand (far better than anything I
own).
Keep you subjects well lit - it doesn't like low-light very much (though
it's better than consumer camcorders in this regard)

Here's a few links:
http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/index.php
http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/camcorder-comparison.htm
http://www.urbanfox.tv/articles/cameras/c6dvcamreview.html
http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/index.html

For all intents and purposes, you can consider a GL-1 and GL-2 to be
identical so a review for one will likely do for the other. Some of the
linked pages will detail the differences. Also: the XM-1/XM-2 are the PAL
versions of this camera, otherwise identical.

(please feel free to step if you feel I'm steering Tom wrong)

Chris Patten

"Tom Ellliott" <1stroke@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Just purchased the Canon GL2.
> I have as yet to put tape through it. I will test it this week end.
> However I was wondering the pros and cons of this camera from you folks
> out
> there?
> Yours,
> Tom

A lot of my buddies have done some good looking short dramatic videos using
the GL-1 so the GL-2 should be good for what you are doing. But if you
want more control on the camera, you need to go to the next level XL2.

"Tom Ellliott" <1stroke@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Just purchased the Canon GL2.
> I have as yet to put tape through it. I will test it this week end.
> However I was wondering the pros and cons of this camera from you folks
> out
> there?
> Yours,
> Tom

"C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message news:GLCdnf0WwcSX-9HfRVn-uw@rogers.com...
<snip>
> For all intents and purposes, you can consider a GL-1 and GL-2
> to be identical so a review for one will likely do for the other.
<snip>
Well, not quite. The GL2 has at least two big improvements:
More resolution (CCD pixels) and manual audio level controls.

(Reposted since earlier post apparently wasn't distributed.)

Well I just did a 5 hour job on my GL2.
All manual over-rides except the focus was left on auto.
Had to use all battery power (sound mixer and camera) otherwise I picked up
a 60cycle hum. I am hoping that when I get the xlr mike attachment, cables,
and appropiate mikes that the 60cycle hum will go away.
I was dissapointed that Premiere Pro 1.5 did not carry over the date and
time that I had set up in the lower left corner (this was a video
deposition) when loaded through the fire wire. I understand this is a PP1.5
issue with digital. So I had to make the dupes for the lawyers using the
analogue out to the VHS tape deck then the date time did show up, though you
have to remember to push the display button on the camera to see it. It just
seem ashame that even though the analogue is the better than I was gettng
before (color balance and sound especially) that I couldn't see it with the
newer program.
So a few questions:
1: Is there some sort of a "magic box" that I can plug the power into to NOT
use batteries for the sound board and the camera, that would filter out the
60cycle hum out?
2: Is there a tape deck/program that I can permits me to use the firewire
and keep the date time in the lower left hand corner?
Yours,
Tom
PS: my e-mail is taelliottXXX@bellsouth.net remove the XXX. For some reason
the 1stroke e-mail is automatically used. I have to check my internet
configurations.