what software can do these things?

alex

I need to edit a mpeg4 file:
* shorten it
* possibly normalize the volume
* probably convert to mpeg2
and then burn it onto a Video CD, so it can be watched on both PCs and DVD
players. (I was told reasonably recent DVD players can accept CD-Rs)

What PC software can do these things for me? I would prefer freeware or
trialware, because this is probably just one time that I need this.

Thanks!

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:55:34 -0800, Alex <no.sp@m.please> wrote:

>I need to edit a mpeg4 file:
> * shorten it

What do you exactly understand by "mpeg4"? Is it a DivX (or XviD) AVI,
or is it an .mp4?

If the former, then you can just use VirtualDub (freeware) to trim it.
There are plenty of guides on its use.

> * possibly normalize the volume

With VirtualDub, also, extract the audio as a .wav, and normalize it
with Normalize (find it at
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/normalize.html).

> * probably convert to mpeg2
>and then burn it onto a Video CD

VideoCD is not mpeg2, but mpeg1. You can encode to mpeg1 with freeware
Tmpgenc.

To author and burn the VCD, see here:
http://www.vcdimager.org/guis.phtml

Add to that the link http://www.digvid.info/software/vcdcomposer.php