How many users/clients can connect to a VPN in Windows XP ..

Since I only have two computers I tried to test it by having the other
computer login and then trying the same thing from the host computer like a
loopback but then one of the two cant login ?

Does this mean only 1 user is allowed to connect at the same time to a VPN
in windows xp pro ?

Bye,
Skybuck.
3 answers Last reply
More about users clients connect windows

    Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > Since I only have two computers I tried to test it by having the other
    > computer login and then trying the same thing from the host computer
    > like a loopback but then one of the two cant login ?
    >
    > Does this mean only 1 user is allowed to connect at the same time to
    > a VPN in windows xp pro ?

    Windows XP Professional is not a server-level OS.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    I can find no information about how many users can login into a windows xp
    pro computer that is functioning as a "vpn server".

    Except for vague statements like: "site to site network" or "login remotely
    to your work" etc.

    I did find one website that mentioned that the maximum number of inbound
    connections is 10.

    So it could be that the loopback connection was malfunctioning and that it
    is possible to have multiple users login at the same time... or maybe not...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    > Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > > Since I only have two computers I tried to test it by having the other
    > > computer login and then trying the same thing from the host computer
    > > like a loopback but then one of the two cant login ?
    > >
    > > Does this mean only 1 user is allowed to connect at the same time to
    > > a VPN in windows xp pro ?
    >
    > Windows XP Professional is not a server-level OS.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    This section from the Resource Kit defines this...

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcg_cnd_dbem.asp

    "You can configure an incoming connection to accept the following connection types: dial-up (modem,
    ISDN, X.25), VPN (PPTP, L2TP), or direct cable connection.... On a Windows XP Professional-based
    computer, an incoming connection can accept up to three incoming calls, up to one of each of these
    types."

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Skybuck Flying" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d2trmo$har$1@news3.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
    >I can find no information about how many users can login into a windows xp
    > pro computer that is functioning as a "vpn server".
    >
    > Except for vague statements like: "site to site network" or "login remotely
    > to your work" etc.
    >
    > I did find one website that mentioned that the maximum number of inbound
    > connections is 10.
    >
    > So it could be that the loopback connection was malfunctioning and that it
    > is possible to have multiple users login at the same time... or maybe not...
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.
    >
    > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Skybuck Flying wrote:
    >> > Since I only have two computers I tried to test it by having the other
    >> > computer login and then trying the same thing from the host computer
    >> > like a loopback but then one of the two cant login ?
    >> >
    >> > Does this mean only 1 user is allowed to connect at the same time to
    >> > a VPN in windows xp pro ?
    >>
    >> Windows XP Professional is not a server-level OS.
    >>
    >> --
    >> <- Shenan ->
    >> --
    >> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    >> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    >> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    >> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Connection Computers Windows XP