  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 1, 2005 7:26:32 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to author a DVD that contained pictures
and have the player display the pictures in random order.

I don't believe it's possible in any of the packages I've tried, but maybe
something more high-level can do it..?

Thanks!

More about : dvd authoring random pictures

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:26:33 PM

Haven't done that before - pretty sure Encore can't but when I last checked
it didn't support some of the "advanced scripting" functions the DVD spec
and other software allows.

*********

On a related note...

For doing a NON random slide show, there were two ways we found.

Create a timeline in, say, Premiere (or Windows Movie Maker for that matter)
and lay down as many photos sequentially as you want in a show. Make the
duration whatever you want. (5 seconds a picture, 10...) Use it as a
timeline in Encore.

I think that's officially called a "slideshow."

***

What we wanted was a "still show" as I've heard it referred to. Each "slide"
stays put until you perform an action (eg: the "NEXT" button).

That took a LOT more work and involved creating a menu for each slide. The
appearance is of a PowerPoint-type presentation - click for next slide -
when in fact it's just a series of menus.

We got to over FIFTEEN HUNDRED MENUS...and Encore died with extreme
prejudice. I wouldn't recommend this for anything over about 500 to 750
"still shots."

I suppose you COULD set up each button to do something DIFFERENT - if you
hit the "back" button it might have a different link on each slide - you'd
still require interaction and have to press random buttons but it would have
a "pseudo-random" effect of sorts - with some interaction.

C.

"Kevin" <kevin@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 2jp78$7vn$1@driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca...
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if it was possible to author a DVD that contained pictures
> and have the player display the pictures in random order.
>
> I don't believe it's possible in any of the packages I've tried, but maybe
> something more high-level can do it..?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:48:16 PM

"C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
> Haven't done that before - pretty sure Encore can't but when I last
> checked it didn't support some of the "advanced scripting" functions the
> DVD spec and other software allows.

I think you are right. I've seen things in movie DVD's (i.e. the "white
rabbit" in The Matrix) that I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to
do in ANYTHING (let alone Encore).

> What we wanted was a "still show" as I've heard it referred to. Each
> "slide" stays put until you perform an action (eg: the "NEXT" button).
>
> That took a LOT more work and involved creating a menu for each slide. The
> appearance is of a PowerPoint-type presentation - click for next slide -
> when in fact it's just a series of menus.
>
> We got to over FIFTEEN HUNDRED MENUS...and Encore died with extreme
> prejudice. I wouldn't recommend this for anything over about 500 to 750
> "still shots."

Just out of curiosity; who would WANT to page through 1500+ stills?

That's just nuts.
Tom P.
April 1, 2005 8:48:17 PM

Heheheheh..

VERY specific function Tom.

We replaced a PowerPoint presentation with a single DVD which also had
music, animation etc.
Also makes it easier to mass market - in this case, it was a groundschool
for an advanced aircraft type.

What's the "White Rabbit" you mention? I've only seen The Matrix in the
theatre so I don't know what's on the DVD. (though I recall the "follow the
white rabbit" reference)

Take a look at "Kill Bill Vol.1". Even if you don't like the movie, the DVD
is worth the rental FOR THE MENUS alone!

C.

"Henry Padilla" <padillah@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
>> Haven't done that before - pretty sure Encore can't but when I last
>> checked it didn't support some of the "advanced scripting" functions the
>> DVD spec and other software allows.
>>

> I think you are right. I've seen things in movie DVD's (i.e. the "white
> rabbit" in The Matrix) that I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how
> to do in ANYTHING (let alone Encore).
>

>> What we wanted was a "still show" as I've heard it referred to. Each
>> "slide" stays put until you perform an action (eg: the "NEXT" button).
>>
>> That took a LOT more work and involved creating a menu for each slide.
>> The appearance is of a PowerPoint-type presentation - click for next
>> slide - when in fact it's just a series of menus.
>>
>> We got to over FIFTEEN HUNDRED MENUS...and Encore died with extreme
>> prejudice. I wouldn't recommend this for anything over about 500 to 750
>> "still shots."
>>

> Just out of curiosity; who would WANT to page through 1500+ stills?
>
> That's just nuts.
> Tom P.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:59:48 PM

> Heheheheh..
>
> VERY specific function Tom.
>
> We replaced a PowerPoint presentation with a single DVD which also had
> music, animation etc.
> Also makes it easier to mass market - in this case, it was a groundschool
> for an advanced aircraft type.
>
> What's the "White Rabbit" you mention? I've only seen The Matrix in the
> theatre so I don't know what's on the DVD. (though I recall the "follow
> the white rabbit" reference)

The "White Rabbit" is an icon that appears whenever there is extra content
pertinent to that scene. You click with your remote and you can jump from
the movie to the extra content and see how they shot that scene. When the
vignette is over it jumps back to the movie from the place you left.

It's like poping up a menu with an animated background and one button.

> Take a look at "Kill Bill Vol.1". Even if you don't like the movie, the
> DVD is worth the rental FOR THE MENUS alone!
>
> C.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:59:49 PM

Henry,

That "white rabbit" effect you speak of may very well HAVE BEEN done with a
menu!

There's no reason you can't structure an entire disc that way. It can even
be SEAMLESS to the viewer - you'd have *no idea* you're looking at a menu
unless you made a point of introducing some element like "the white rabbit."

Every chapter on the disc becomes a "background movie" for a menu. It will
look EXACTLY the same as if you were watching the movie as chapter-timelines
instead of menus except it gives you, the DVD author, more options for
interactivity.

You can give people two viewing options: play normally OR "play with
interactivity - click enter when you see the white rabbit to view extra
content."

Come to think of it, that's a great idea for providing extra content on a
DVD. You don't even need to add much extra data to the disc (which would
hurt quality by raising compression) because the video track you already
have set up as a "chapter" timeline is simply inserted into the menu as a
background video.

ALL of this is EASILY done in Encore with a simple point and click.

Wow.

That's the single biggest revelation I've had as a result of discussions in
this group. That's going to impact my DVD designs a lot from now on!

Thanks!

> "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
>> Heheheheh..
>>
>> VERY specific function Tom.
>>
>> We replaced a PowerPoint presentation with a single DVD which also had
>> music, animation etc.
>> Also makes it easier to mass market - in this case, it was a groundschool
>> for an advanced aircraft type.
>>
>> What's the "White Rabbit" you mention? I've only seen The Matrix in the
>> theatre so I don't know what's on the DVD. (though I recall the "follow
>> the white rabbit" reference)
>>

> The "White Rabbit" is an icon that appears whenever there is extra content
> pertinent to that scene. You click with your remote and you can jump from
> the movie to the extra content and see how they shot that scene. When the
> vignette is over it jumps back to the movie from the place you left.
>
> It's like poping up a menu with an animated background and one button.
>

>> Take a look at "Kill Bill Vol.1". Even if you don't like the movie, the
>> DVD is worth the rental FOR THE MENUS alone!
>>
>> C.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:59:50 PM

> Henry,
>

> "Henry Padilla" <padillah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
>>> Heheheheh..
>>>
>>> VERY specific function Tom.
>>>
>>> We replaced a PowerPoint presentation with a single DVD which also had
>>> music, animation etc.
>>> Also makes it easier to mass market - in this case, it was a
>>> groundschool for an advanced aircraft type.
>>>
>>> What's the "White Rabbit" you mention? I've only seen The Matrix in the
>>> theatre so I don't know what's on the DVD. (though I recall the "follow
>>> the white rabbit" reference)
>>>

>> The "White Rabbit" is an icon that appears whenever there is extra
>> content pertinent to that scene. You click with your remote and you can
>> jump from the movie to the extra content and see how they shot that
>> scene. When the vignette is over it jumps back to the movie from the
>> place you left.
>>
>> It's like poping up a menu with an animated background and one button.
>>

>>> Take a look at "Kill Bill Vol.1". Even if you don't like the movie, the
>>> DVD is worth the rental FOR THE MENUS alone!
>>>
>>> C.
>>
> That "white rabbit" effect you speak of may very well HAVE BEEN done with
> a menu!
>
> There's no reason you can't structure an entire disc that way. It can even
> be SEAMLESS to the viewer - you'd have *no idea* you're looking at a menu
> unless you made a point of introducing some element like "the white
> rabbit."
>
> Every chapter on the disc becomes a "background movie" for a menu. It will
> look EXACTLY the same as if you were watching the movie as
> chapter-timelines instead of menus except it gives you, the DVD author,
> more options for interactivity.
>
> You can give people two viewing options: play normally OR "play with
> interactivity - click enter when you see the white rabbit to view extra
> content."
>
> Come to think of it, that's a great idea for providing extra content on a
> DVD. You don't even need to add much extra data to the disc (which would
> hurt quality by raising compression) because the video track you already
> have set up as a "chapter" timeline is simply inserted into the menu as a
> background video.
>
> ALL of this is EASILY done in Encore with a simple point and click.
>
> Wow.
>
> That's the single biggest revelation I've had as a result of discussions
> in this group. That's going to impact my DVD designs a lot from now on!
>
> Thanks!
>
> C.

Look up what the MPEG4 interactive objects can do, and
how a video production can be composed of various objects.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 3:29:44 AM

"C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
> Henry,
>
> That "white rabbit" effect you speak of may very well HAVE BEEN done with
> a menu!
>
> There's no reason you can't structure an entire disc that way. It can even
> be SEAMLESS to the viewer - you'd have *no idea* you're looking at a menu
> unless you made a point of introducing some element like "the white
> rabbit."
>
> Every chapter on the disc becomes a "background movie" for a menu. It will
> look EXACTLY the same as if you were watching the movie as
> chapter-timelines instead of menus except it gives you, the DVD author,
> more options for interactivity.
>
> You can give people two viewing options: play normally OR "play with
> interactivity - click enter when you see the white rabbit to view extra
> content."
>
> Come to think of it, that's a great idea for providing extra content on a
> DVD. You don't even need to add much extra data to the disc (which would
> hurt quality by raising compression) because the video track you already
> have set up as a "chapter" timeline is simply inserted into the menu as a
> background video.
>
> ALL of this is EASILY done in Encore with a simple point and click.
>
> Wow.
>
> That's the single biggest revelation I've had as a result of discussions
> in this group. That's going to impact my DVD designs a lot from now on!
>
> Thanks!
>
> C.

OMG I think you are right! I accidentally figured it out. That's funny!

Thanks for the help.
Tom P.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 10:31:25 AM

Henry Padilla <padillah@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > That's the single biggest revelation I've had as a result of discussions
> > in this group. That's going to impact my DVD designs a lot from now on!

> OMG I think you are right! I accidentally figured it out. That's funny!

Sweet.

But how would you pop up the menu objects (the white rabbit) only at specific
times and then disable them again, or for that matter, keep changing which
title/chapter that rabbit menu item points to?

Still doesn't solve my random image question, but I'm glad I got some
creative juices flowing. :)
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 10:31:26 AM

"Kevin" <kevin@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 2le7t$rah$1@driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca...
> Henry Padilla <padillah@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > That's the single biggest revelation I've had as a result of
>> > discussions
>> > in this group. That's going to impact my DVD designs a lot from now on!
>
>> OMG I think you are right! I accidentally figured it out. That's funny!
>
> Sweet.
>
> But how would you pop up the menu objects (the white rabbit) only at
> specific
> times and then disable them again, or for that matter, keep changing which
> title/chapter that rabbit menu item points to?
>
> Still doesn't solve my random image question, but I'm glad I got some
> creative juices flowing. :)

One way is to actually have the selection areas active but
"invisible" (in TDA I just use spaces), and simply use Chroma
keying or Alpha Channel your "White Rabbit" into the menu
background/chapter clip, in the selection area you want "on".
If you are dealing with MPEG clips, this is a good job for a
"Smart Rendering" editor like Magix Movie Edit Pro 10 (USA)
or Movie Edit Pro 2005 (Euro).

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 8:19:56 PM

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Kevin" <kevin@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:D 2le7t$rah$1@driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca...
>>
>>> OMG I think you are right! I accidentally figured it out. That's
>>> funny!
>>
>> Sweet.
>>
>> But how would you pop up the menu objects (the white rabbit) only at
>> specific
>> times and then disable them again, or for that matter, keep changing
>> which
>> title/chapter that rabbit menu item points to?
>>
>> Still doesn't solve my random image question, but I'm glad I got some
>> creative juices flowing. :)
>>

> One way is to actually have the selection areas active but
> "invisible" (in TDA I just use spaces), and simply use Chroma
> keying or Alpha Channel your "White Rabbit" into the menu
> background/chapter clip, in the selection area you want "on".
> If you are dealing with MPEG clips, this is a good job for a
> "Smart Rendering" editor like Magix Movie Edit Pro 10 (USA)
> or Movie Edit Pro 2005 (Euro).
>
> Luck;
> Ken

I was thinking more along the lines of creating a playlist in Encore and
going from one capter to a menu and when that menu ends it goes back to a
regular chapter. For any special chapters you have just make a menu with
the background animated (as the movie) and put the next chapter as the end
action for the menu.

Like so: Chap 1->Chap 2->Menu 3->Chap 4->Chap 5->Menu 6->...

Tom P.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:11:55 PM

Bingo.

In other words:
....to get a "white rabbit" or other interactive element to pop up, you cut
your footage there and have it jump to a menu where the "cut out" piece is
playing in the background. (if that makes sense) - eg: it APPEARS seamless
(as transitions between chapter timelines on most players don't "hiccup")
but in fact when the rabbit appears, you're ACTUALLY watching a menu with a
chunk of movie playing as it's background. The safest way to do this is make
the cuts where the actual film contains a jump cut, ideally with no audio.
(not a fight scene with lots of noise where a hiccup would be evident ...
just in case)

Make sense?

It's a kludge in the absence of advanced scripting but it does work...

> I was thinking more along the lines of creating a playlist in Encore and
> going from one capter to a menu and when that menu ends it goes back to a
> regular chapter. For any special chapters you have just make a menu with
> the background animated (as the movie) and put the next chapter as the end
> action for the menu.
>
> Like so: Chap 1->Chap 2->Menu 3->Chap 4->Chap 5->Menu 6->...
>
> Tom P.

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 6:10:41 AM

To Kevin
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to author a DVD that contained
pictures
and have the player display the pictures in random order.

I don't believe it's possible in any of the packages I've tried, but
maybe
something more high-level can do it..?

Thanks!

There is a practical product I'm wondering if you have interests in:
Photo2DVD, a product by which you can convert your pictures to DVD/VCD.

it allows you arrange pictures at random, and the transition effects
between photos are cool.
The download link:
http://download.photo-to-dvd.com/photo2dvd_trial.exe
!