DVD authoring - random pictures?

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to author a DVD that contained pictures
and have the player display the pictures in random order.

I don't believe it's possible in any of the packages I've tried, but maybe
something more high-level can do it..?

Thanks!
12 answers Last reply
More about authoring random pictures

    Haven't done that before - pretty sure Encore can't but when I last checked
    it didn't support some of the "advanced scripting" functions the DVD spec
    and other software allows.

    *********

    On a related note...

    For doing a NON random slide show, there were two ways we found.

    Create a timeline in, say, Premiere (or Windows Movie Maker for that matter)
    and lay down as many photos sequentially as you want in a show. Make the
    duration whatever you want. (5 seconds a picture, 10...) Use it as a
    timeline in Encore.

    I think that's officially called a "slideshow."

    ***

    What we wanted was a "still show" as I've heard it referred to. Each "slide"
    stays put until you perform an action (eg: the "NEXT" button).

    That took a LOT more work and involved creating a menu for each slide. The
    appearance is of a PowerPoint-type presentation - click for next slide -
    when in fact it's just a series of menus.

    We got to over FIFTEEN HUNDRED MENUS...and Encore died with extreme
    prejudice. I wouldn't recommend this for anything over about 500 to 750
    "still shots."

    I suppose you COULD set up each button to do something DIFFERENT - if you
    hit the "back" button it might have a different link on each slide - you'd
    still require interaction and have to press random buttons but it would have
    a "pseudo-random" effect of sorts - with some interaction.

    C.

    "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
    > Haven't done that before - pretty sure Encore can't but when I last
    > checked it didn't support some of the "advanced scripting" functions the
    > DVD spec and other software allows.

    I think you are right. I've seen things in movie DVD's (i.e. the "white
    rabbit" in The Matrix) that I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to
    do in ANYTHING (let alone Encore).

    > What we wanted was a "still show" as I've heard it referred to. Each
    > "slide" stays put until you perform an action (eg: the "NEXT" button).
    >
    > That took a LOT more work and involved creating a menu for each slide. The
    > appearance is of a PowerPoint-type presentation - click for next slide -
    > when in fact it's just a series of menus.
    >
    > We got to over FIFTEEN HUNDRED MENUS...and Encore died with extreme
    > prejudice. I wouldn't recommend this for anything over about 500 to 750
    > "still shots."

    Just out of curiosity; who would WANT to page through 1500+ stills?

    That's just nuts.
    Tom P.

    Heheheheh..

    VERY specific function Tom.

    We replaced a PowerPoint presentation with a single DVD which also had
    music, animation etc.
    Also makes it easier to mass market - in this case, it was a groundschool
    for an advanced aircraft type.

    What's the "White Rabbit" you mention? I've only seen The Matrix in the
    theatre so I don't know what's on the DVD. (though I recall the "follow the
    white rabbit" reference)

    Take a look at "Kill Bill Vol.1". Even if you don't like the movie, the DVD
    is worth the rental FOR THE MENUS alone!

    C.

    > Heheheheh..
    >
    > VERY specific function Tom.
    >
    > We replaced a PowerPoint presentation with a single DVD which also had
    > music, animation etc.
    > Also makes it easier to mass market - in this case, it was a groundschool
    > for an advanced aircraft type.
    >
    > What's the "White Rabbit" you mention? I've only seen The Matrix in the
    > theatre so I don't know what's on the DVD. (though I recall the "follow
    > the white rabbit" reference)

    The "White Rabbit" is an icon that appears whenever there is extra content
    pertinent to that scene. You click with your remote and you can jump from
    the movie to the extra content and see how they shot that scene. When the
    vignette is over it jumps back to the movie from the place you left.

    It's like poping up a menu with an animated background and one button.

    > Take a look at "Kill Bill Vol.1". Even if you don't like the movie, the
    > DVD is worth the rental FOR THE MENUS alone!
    >
    > C.

    Henry,

    That "white rabbit" effect you speak of may very well HAVE BEEN done with a
    menu!

    There's no reason you can't structure an entire disc that way. It can even
    be SEAMLESS to the viewer - you'd have *no idea* you're looking at a menu
    unless you made a point of introducing some element like "the white rabbit."

    Every chapter on the disc becomes a "background movie" for a menu. It will
    look EXACTLY the same as if you were watching the movie as chapter-timelines
    instead of menus except it gives you, the DVD author, more options for
    interactivity.

    You can give people two viewing options: play normally OR "play with
    interactivity - click enter when you see the white rabbit to view extra
    content."

    Come to think of it, that's a great idea for providing extra content on a
    DVD. You don't even need to add much extra data to the disc (which would
    hurt quality by raising compression) because the video track you already
    have set up as a "chapter" timeline is simply inserted into the menu as a
    background video.

    ALL of this is EASILY done in Encore with a simple point and click.

    Wow.

    That's the single biggest revelation I've had as a result of discussions in
    this group. That's going to impact my DVD designs a lot from now on!

    > Henry,
    >

    > "Henry Padilla" <padillah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
    >>> Heheheheh..
    >>>
    >>> VERY specific function Tom.
    >>>
    >>> We replaced a PowerPoint presentation with a single DVD which also had
    >>> music, animation etc.
    >>> Also makes it easier to mass market - in this case, it was a
    >>> groundschool for an advanced aircraft type.
    >>>
    >>> What's the "White Rabbit" you mention? I've only seen The Matrix in the
    >>> theatre so I don't know what's on the DVD. (though I recall the "follow
    >>> the white rabbit" reference)
    >>>

    >> The "White Rabbit" is an icon that appears whenever there is extra
    >> content pertinent to that scene. You click with your remote and you can
    >> jump from the movie to the extra content and see how they shot that
    >> scene. When the vignette is over it jumps back to the movie from the
    >> place you left.
    >>
    >> It's like poping up a menu with an animated background and one button.
    >>

    >>> Take a look at "Kill Bill Vol.1". Even if you don't like the movie, the
    >>> DVD is worth the rental FOR THE MENUS alone!
    >>>
    >>> C.
    >>
    > That "white rabbit" effect you speak of may very well HAVE BEEN done with
    > a menu!
    >
    > There's no reason you can't structure an entire disc that way. It can even
    > be SEAMLESS to the viewer - you'd have *no idea* you're looking at a menu
    > unless you made a point of introducing some element like "the white
    > rabbit."
    >
    > Every chapter on the disc becomes a "background movie" for a menu. It will
    > look EXACTLY the same as if you were watching the movie as
    > chapter-timelines instead of menus except it gives you, the DVD author,
    > more options for interactivity.
    >
    > You can give people two viewing options: play normally OR "play with
    > interactivity - click enter when you see the white rabbit to view extra
    > content."
    >
    > Come to think of it, that's a great idea for providing extra content on a
    > DVD. You don't even need to add much extra data to the disc (which would
    > hurt quality by raising compression) because the video track you already
    > have set up as a "chapter" timeline is simply inserted into the menu as a
    > background video.
    >
    > ALL of this is EASILY done in Encore with a simple point and click.
    >
    > Wow.
    >
    > That's the single biggest revelation I've had as a result of discussions
    > in this group. That's going to impact my DVD designs a lot from now on!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > C.

    Look up what the MPEG4 interactive objects can do, and
    how a video production can be composed of various objects.

    Luck;
    Ken

    "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
    > Henry,
    >
    > That "white rabbit" effect you speak of may very well HAVE BEEN done with
    > a menu!
    >
    > There's no reason you can't structure an entire disc that way. It can even
    > be SEAMLESS to the viewer - you'd have *no idea* you're looking at a menu
    > unless you made a point of introducing some element like "the white
    > rabbit."
    >
    > Every chapter on the disc becomes a "background movie" for a menu. It will
    > look EXACTLY the same as if you were watching the movie as
    > chapter-timelines instead of menus except it gives you, the DVD author,
    > more options for interactivity.
    >
    > You can give people two viewing options: play normally OR "play with
    > interactivity - click enter when you see the white rabbit to view extra
    > content."
    >
    > Come to think of it, that's a great idea for providing extra content on a
    > DVD. You don't even need to add much extra data to the disc (which would
    > hurt quality by raising compression) because the video track you already
    > have set up as a "chapter" timeline is simply inserted into the menu as a
    > background video.
    >
    > ALL of this is EASILY done in Encore with a simple point and click.
    >
    > Wow.
    >
    > That's the single biggest revelation I've had as a result of discussions
    > in this group. That's going to impact my DVD designs a lot from now on!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > C.

    OMG I think you are right! I accidentally figured it out. That's funny!

    Thanks for the help.
    Tom P.

    Henry Padilla <padillah@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > > That's the single biggest revelation I've had as a result of discussions
    > > in this group. That's going to impact my DVD designs a lot from now on!

    > OMG I think you are right! I accidentally figured it out. That's funny!

    Sweet.

    But how would you pop up the menu objects (the white rabbit) only at specific
    times and then disable them again, or for that matter, keep changing which
    title/chapter that rabbit menu item points to?

    Still doesn't solve my random image question, but I'm glad I got some
    creative juices flowing. :)

    > Henry Padilla <padillah@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> > That's the single biggest revelation I've had as a result of
    >> > discussions
    >> > in this group. That's going to impact my DVD designs a lot from now on!
    >
    >> OMG I think you are right! I accidentally figured it out. That's funny!
    >
    > Sweet.
    >
    > But how would you pop up the menu objects (the white rabbit) only at
    > specific
    > times and then disable them again, or for that matter, keep changing which
    > title/chapter that rabbit menu item points to?
    >
    > Still doesn't solve my random image question, but I'm glad I got some
    > creative juices flowing. :)

    One way is to actually have the selection areas active but
    "invisible" (in TDA I just use spaces), and simply use Chroma
    keying or Alpha Channel your "White Rabbit" into the menu
    background/chapter clip, in the selection area you want "on".
    If you are dealing with MPEG clips, this is a good job for a
    "Smart Rendering" editor like Magix Movie Edit Pro 10 (USA)
    or Movie Edit Pro 2005 (Euro).

    Luck;
    Ken

    "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > "Kevin" <kevin@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> OMG I think you are right! I accidentally figured it out. That's
    >>> funny!
    >>
    >> Sweet.
    >>
    >> But how would you pop up the menu objects (the white rabbit) only at
    >> specific
    >> times and then disable them again, or for that matter, keep changing
    >> which
    >> title/chapter that rabbit menu item points to?
    >>
    >> Still doesn't solve my random image question, but I'm glad I got some
    >> creative juices flowing. :)
    >>

    > One way is to actually have the selection areas active but
    > "invisible" (in TDA I just use spaces), and simply use Chroma
    > keying or Alpha Channel your "White Rabbit" into the menu
    > background/chapter clip, in the selection area you want "on".
    > If you are dealing with MPEG clips, this is a good job for a
    > "Smart Rendering" editor like Magix Movie Edit Pro 10 (USA)
    > or Movie Edit Pro 2005 (Euro).
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    I was thinking more along the lines of creating a playlist in Encore and
    going from one capter to a menu and when that menu ends it goes back to a
    regular chapter. For any special chapters you have just make a menu with
    the background animated (as the movie) and put the next chapter as the end
    action for the menu.

    Like so: Chap 1->Chap 2->Menu 3->Chap 4->Chap 5->Menu 6->...

    Tom P.

    Bingo.

    In other words:
    ....to get a "white rabbit" or other interactive element to pop up, you cut
    your footage there and have it jump to a menu where the "cut out" piece is
    playing in the background. (if that makes sense) - eg: it APPEARS seamless
    (as transitions between chapter timelines on most players don't "hiccup")
    but in fact when the rabbit appears, you're ACTUALLY watching a menu with a
    chunk of movie playing as it's background. The safest way to do this is make
    the cuts where the actual film contains a jump cut, ideally with no audio.
    (not a fight scene with lots of noise where a hiccup would be evident ...
    just in case)

    Make sense?

    It's a kludge in the absence of advanced scripting but it does work...

    > I was thinking more along the lines of creating a playlist in Encore and
    > going from one capter to a menu and when that menu ends it goes back to a
    > regular chapter. For any special chapters you have just make a menu with
    > the background animated (as the movie) and put the next chapter as the end
    > action for the menu.
    >
    > Like so: Chap 1->Chap 2->Menu 3->Chap 4->Chap 5->Menu 6->...
    >
    > Tom P.

    To Kevin
    Hi,

    I was wondering if it was possible to author a DVD that contained
    pictures
    and have the player display the pictures in random order.

    I don't believe it's possible in any of the packages I've tried, but
    maybe
    something more high-level can do it..?

    Thanks!

    There is a practical product I'm wondering if you have interests in:
    Photo2DVD, a product by which you can convert your pictures to DVD/VCD.

    it allows you arrange pictures at random, and the transition effects
    between photos are cool.
    The download link:
    http://download.photo-to-dvd.com/photo2dvd_trial.exe

Tuner Cards DVD Desktops Video Graphics