Boot drive considerations in DTE

We all know that the media we work with should be on a separate disk, but is
there any benefit in DVE to have the boot/program files run from a fast
drive, SATA 10K RPM for example. I've heard how fast XP installs on these
drives, but that's hardly worth the price in my opinion.

The question is: does a fast system drive give any worthwhile speed
performance increase when running DVE?

"Captain Slick" wrote ...
> We all know that the media we work with should be on a separate disk,
> but is there any benefit in DVE to have the boot/program files run
> from a fast drive, SATA 10K RPM for example. I've heard how fast XP
> installs on these drives, but that's hardly worth the price in my
> opinion.
>
> The question is: does a fast system drive give any worthwhile speed
> performance increase when running DVE?

Not in my experience. Far more important to have OS and
appliction and swap files on a different spindle from the
media files.

> "Captain Slick" wrote ...
>> We all know that the media we work with should be on a separate disk, but
>> is there any benefit in DVE to have the boot/program files run from a
>> fast drive, SATA 10K RPM for example. I've heard how fast XP installs on
>> these drives, but that's hardly worth the price in my opinion.
>>
>> The question is: does a fast system drive give any worthwhile speed
>> performance increase when running DVE?
>
> Not in my experience. Far more important to have OS and
> appliction and swap files on a different spindle from the
> media files.

I have two 10k Raptors on my sys; a 36Gig "Capture" drive
and a 74Gig "System" drive. As my captures are to DVD
compliant MPEG2 by a hardware encoder, it's not to aid that
process. I do take some pains to have the inputs to a process
on the opposite drive from the process output. If the process
builds a temp file that it later outputs, I consider that as the
input. So, for me there is some advantage to having two fast
drives.

That said, my guess is that the factors that have more of
a limiting effect in "DVE", are CPU and memory
performance/throughput. Especially as regards Encoding
and transcoding.

I certainly noticed an overall quickness when I first
installed the raptors. You quickly get used to it and now
it's a touch annoying if there isn't an instant response.

Luck;
Ken

"Captain Slick" <CaptainSlick@verizon.net> wrote in message
> We all know that the media we work with should be on a separate disk, but
> is there any benefit in DVE to have the boot/program files run from a fast
> drive, SATA 10K RPM for example. I've heard how fast XP installs on these
> drives, but that's hardly worth the price in my opinion.
>
> The question is: does a fast system drive give any worthwhile speed
> performance increase when running DVE?

No. Aside from booting up and swapping to disk (see below) the boot disk is
almost not used at all. The amount it is used is negligable.

You do want to make sure you have enough memory that you're not going to
swap too much (or at all if you can get 1 or 2 Gigs of RAM).

On files of this size the bottle-neck really is the drive throughput. Not
drive "speed". I've seen 10,000 RPM drives with 13mps throughput and I've
seen 7,600 RPM drives with 33Mps throughput. There's a lot about spindle
design and drive architechture but the bottom line is make sure you are
looking at the drive throughput, not necessarily the drive speed.

Tom P.

> I certainly noticed an overall quickness when I first
> installed the raptors. You quickly get used to it and now
> it's a touch annoying if there isn't an instant response.

Isn't that the way it always is? <vbg> I'll never forget the move up from a
486-33 to Pentium 133. The graphic displayed when you win at solitaire went
from taking a couple of minutes for all the cards to bounce to doing it in a
second or two. It was truly an amazing performance increase. How quickly we
get used to it.