Bluetooth: connect a laptop to internet via a PC?

Hi,
please can you help me with this one:
I have a XP-SP2 PC with a bluetooth USB adapter and
a old Satelite laptop with win98SE and a bluetooth pcmicia card

I can share and move files between each other but not make a 'real' personal
netwoork between them, and not use my shared internet acces of the PC. When
listing disposable services it is not actively listed as a option.

Do i miss hardware (bluetooth router?) or what do i need?

Thanks!
F r e e
2 answers Last reply
More about bluetooth connect laptop internet

    Windows XP SP2 does have support to establish a PAN (personal area network)
    connection between 2 PCs over Bluetooth. Here are some instructions on how
    to set this up:

    PAN "Server":
    1) Go to Control Panel
    2) When in "Classic View", click on "Network and Internet Connections"
    3) Open "Bluetooth Devices"
    4) Switch to the "Options" tab
    5) Check the box for "Turn discovery on"
    6) Click OK

    PAN Client:
    1) Open the "Network Connections" folder
    2) Right-click on the "Bluetooth Network Connection" and choose "View
    Bluetooth Network Devices"
    3) Click on the "Add..." button
    4) Check the box for "My device is set up and ready to be found" and click
    "Next >"
    5) After the flashlight stops searching, select the machine acting as the
    PAN "Server" and click "Next >"
    6) Select "Choose a passkey for me" and click "Next >"
    7) Take note of the "Passkey:" shown on this screen

    PAN "Server":
    Note: You have approximately 30 seconds to finish the next 3 steps.
    1) A pop-up notification should appear from the system tray which states "A
    Bluetooth device is requesting to connect to your computer."
    2) Click on the pop-up notification
    3) Enter the same "Passkey:" that you had noted on the PAN Client and click
    "Next >"
    4) Click "Finish"

    PAN Client:
    1) Click "Finish"
    2) Select the machine acting as the PAN "Server" and click "Connect"

    You now have a PAN (Ethernet) connection established between the two
    machines. After about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, both machines will have assigned
    themselves an auto-configured TCP/IP address and then you can start using
    the network connection.

    Judging from your subject line, it appears that you are wanting your Desktop
    PC to be able to share its Internet connection to your Laptop via the
    Bluetooth PAN connection. Unfortunately, Windows XP SP2 does not allow your
    Internet connection to be shared out over the Bluetooth PAN connection.
    This is because the Bluetooth PAN feature in Windows XP SP2 was designed to
    either establish peer-to-peer adhoc network connections or to connect to the
    Internet (or other network) via a Bluetooth PAN NAP (network access point).

    There are some non-Microsoft Bluetooth PAN NAP hardware devices and Windows
    software applications which you can use to share your Internet connection to
    your laptop over Bluetooth. I know that both Siemens and Axis make a
    Bluetooth PAN NAP hardware device that can be used with Windows XP SP2.
    There are other hardware devices as well. I also know of the WIDCOMM
    Bluetooth for Windows software which can allow a Windows PC to act as a
    Bluetooth PAN NAP.

    --

    Patrick Sears
    Bluetooth Personal Area Networking

    purposes only.

    "f r e e" <free@spam.nothanx> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > please can you help me with this one:
    > I have a XP-SP2 PC with a bluetooth USB adapter and
    > a old Satelite laptop with win98SE and a bluetooth pcmicia card
    >
    > I can share and move files between each other but not make a 'real'
    personal
    > netwoork between them, and not use my shared internet acces of the PC.
    When
    > listing disposable services it is not actively listed as a option.
    >
    > Do i miss hardware (bluetooth router?) or what do i need?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > F r e e

    Thank you soo much Patrick!!
    Just a last Q: Will it work if the laptop uses Win98SE?
    (I'm asking this because I have tried and tried with no luck)

    yours,

Laptops Bluetooth Internet Wireless Networking