Guild to editing a conversation?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I noticed in a TV series or an interview when there are two people
talking to each other the editor cuts to the person who is talking.
There are sometimes a jump between the faces of two people talking.
Other times the editor cuts to the person who is listening. There is
also a mid shot so the viewer can see both people in the frame.

Is there any guide for this type of editing or is it done at random?

Regards Brian

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Brian wrote:
> I noticed in a TV series or an interview when there are two people
> talking to each other the editor cuts to the person who is talking.
> There are sometimes a jump between the faces of two people talking.
> Other times the editor cuts to the person who is listening. There is
> also a mid shot so the viewer can see both people in the frame.
>
> Is there any guide for this type of editing or is it done at random?

It's a judgement call. What is going to be the most interesting thing to
show at the moment? On a live show you cut between cameras according to
what you're seeing on the monitors. If you do it in post, you can use
the tapes to get just the shot you want at any particular moment. Most
movie/TV productions with any budget/time to work with do the talent
shots separately and intercut them.

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Brian wrote:
> I noticed in a TV series or an interview when there are two people
> talking to each other the editor cuts to the person who is talking.
> There are sometimes a jump between the faces of two people talking.
> Other times the editor cuts to the person who is listening. There is
> also a mid shot so the viewer can see both people in the frame.
>
> Is there any guide for this type of editing or is it done at random?
>
> Regards Brian

Keep in mind that the conversation content is being edited. i.e.: sentences are
being removed. So firstly editing has to cover "jump cuts" with "cut aways". As
you edit the person being interviewed you might show the interviewer nodding to
cover the jump cut. This type of editing can be done with only one camera as the
shots of the interviewer are done afterwards. (cheating ?) Sometimes the
interviewer questions are shot afterwards and re-inserted back into the
interview. (more cheating ?)
If you have the luxury of 2 or more cameras the editing process is much more
fluid. You can cut back and forth between the 2 people at will to make the
interview more visually interesting. Often split audio video edits are done
where you visually cut to the person about to speak a bit early or late. This
can make the conversation feel more "real time" when you are actually editing
out material.
The wide shot or over the shoulder shot is often used to hide a jump cut.
Usually the editor has nothing else to cut to and if you look carefully you'll
see the jump cut. Sometimes it's just another shot for variety
The "ask the questions later" (one camera) type mentioned above can be exploited
to form the question already knowing what the answer is.
The camera person, knowing the interview will be edited later, will get a
variety of shots... constantly zooming in and out when questions are being
asked. Tight head shots, not so tight head shots, head and shoulder shots etc.
This is usually done when the final edited program will only have the
interviewee on camera with no questions.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>> I noticed in a TV series or an interview when there are two people
>> talking to each other the editor cuts to the person who is talking.
>> There are sometimes a jump between the faces of two people talking.
>> Other times the editor cuts to the person who is listening. There is
>> also a mid shot so the viewer can see both people in the frame.
>>
>> Is there any guide for this type of editing or is it done at random?
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
>Keep in mind that the conversation content is being edited. i.e.: sentences are
>being removed. So firstly editing has to cover "jump cuts" with "cut aways". As
>you edit the person being interviewed you might show the interviewer nodding to
>cover the jump cut. This type of editing can be done with only one camera as the
>shots of the interviewer are done afterwards. (cheating ?) Sometimes the
>interviewer questions are shot afterwards and re-inserted back into the
>interview. (more cheating ?)
>If you have the luxury of 2 or more cameras the editing process is much more
>fluid. You can cut back and forth between the 2 people at will to make the
>interview more visually interesting. Often split audio video edits are done
>where you visually cut to the person about to speak a bit early or late. This
>can make the conversation feel more "real time" when you are actually editing
>out material.
>The wide shot or over the shoulder shot is often used to hide a jump cut.
>Usually the editor has nothing else to cut to and if you look carefully you'll
>see the jump cut. Sometimes it's just another shot for variety
>The "ask the questions later" (one camera) type mentioned above can be exploited
>to form the question already knowing what the answer is.
>The camera person, knowing the interview will be edited later, will get a
>
>variety of shots... constantly zooming in and out when questions are being
>asked. Tight head shots, not so tight head shots, head and shoulder shots etc.
>This is usually done when the final edited program will only have the
>interviewee on camera with no questions.

Thanks Roger and DanR for the information.
I remember one of the worst times when video recording with a single
camera is when people from the audience were asking a guest speaker
questions. I did not know who is the audience was about to speak then
after recording the question I had to quickly pan the camera to the
guest speaker, who had already started answering the question.
I could have kept the camera on the guest speaker but then people
viewing the video would want to know who is answering the question.
I could have kept the camera on the audience but I'd lose the
expression on the guest speakers face when answering a difficult
question.
I was standing against the side wall near the front of the audience.

Out of interest how would you record this type of situation?

Regards Brian

Regards Brian

cory

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

> Out of interest how would you record this type of situation?

Are you expecting to get an answer other than "try using two cameras"?

Cory

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Brian wrote:
> [...]
>> interviewee on camera with no questions.
>
> Thanks Roger and DanR for the information.
> I remember one of the worst times when video recording with a single
> camera is when people from the audience were asking a guest speaker
> questions. I did not know who is the audience was about to speak then
> after recording the question I had to quickly pan the camera to the
> guest speaker, who had already started answering the question.
> I could have kept the camera on the guest speaker but then people
> viewing the video would want to know who is answering the question.
> I could have kept the camera on the audience but I'd lose the
> expression on the guest speakers face when answering a difficult
> question.
> I was standing against the side wall near the front of the audience.
>
> Out of interest how would you record this type of situation?

Most likely I would have stayed on the guest speaker. Sloppy swish pans don't
look good in a situation like this. But there are exceptions and maybe you did
the right thing.

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:57:11 +1200, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

>"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
>

>>Brian wrote:
>>> I noticed in a TV series or an interview when there are two people
>>> talking to each other the editor cuts to the person who is talking.
>>> There are sometimes a jump between the faces of two people talking.
>>> Other times the editor cuts to the person who is listening. There is
>>> also a mid shot so the viewer can see both people in the frame.
>>>
>>> Is there any guide for this type of editing or is it done at random?
>>>
>>> Regards Brian
>>
>>Keep in mind that the conversation content is being edited. i.e.: sentences are
>>being removed. So firstly editing has to cover "jump cuts" with "cut aways". As
>>you edit the person being interviewed you might show the interviewer nodding to
>>cover the jump cut. This type of editing can be done with only one camera as the
>>shots of the interviewer are done afterwards. (cheating ?) Sometimes the
>>interviewer questions are shot afterwards and re-inserted back into the
>>interview. (more cheating ?)
>>If you have the luxury of 2 or more cameras the editing process is much more
>>fluid. You can cut back and forth between the 2 people at will to make the
>>interview more visually interesting. Often split audio video edits are done
>>where you visually cut to the person about to speak a bit early or late. This
>>can make the conversation feel more "real time" when you are actually editing
>>out material.
>>The wide shot or over the shoulder shot is often used to hide a jump cut.
>>Usually the editor has nothing else to cut to and if you look carefully you'll
>>see the jump cut. Sometimes it's just another shot for variety
>>The "ask the questions later" (one camera) type mentioned above can be exploited
>>to form the question already knowing what the answer is.
>>The camera person, knowing the interview will be edited later, will get a
>>
>>variety of shots... constantly zooming in and out when questions are being
>>asked. Tight head shots, not so tight head shots, head and shoulder shots etc.
>>This is usually done when the final edited program will only have the
>>interviewee on camera with no questions.

Practice is the best way to learn how to handle this. If you have
the time, try to do some projects which aren't critical -- just pure
practice or low impact/cost/volunteer sorts of things where being
perfect isn't essential.

One camera per person is best for a live style show, where the
interview is done in real time, minimal or no retakes. One more
camera for a wide shot can help; a second (or more) camera operator
can add versatility by giving more variety to the views by changing it
during the interviews. It is easier to practice editing when you
can change your mind on the shots afterwards.

Single camera interview type shows work well when everything is
scripted. Since you know how it should go in advance, it does make
the editing easier. OTOH, the planning stage is a lot harder, and you
need people who will follow it.

>Thanks Roger and DanR for the information.
>I remember one of the worst times when video recording with a single
>camera is when people from the audience were asking a guest speaker
>questions. I did not know who is the audience was about to speak then
>after recording the question I had to quickly pan the camera to the
>guest speaker, who had already started answering the question.
>I could have kept the camera on the guest speaker but then people
>viewing the video would want to know who is answering the question.
>I could have kept the camera on the audience but I'd lose the
>expression on the guest speakers face when answering a difficult
>question.
>I was standing against the side wall near the front of the audience.
>
>Out of interest how would you record this type of situation?

The single camera to cover a speaking presentation gig isn't an easy
situation. Taking more cameras is a solution, but that isn't always
easy or even practical (some places barely have room for one camera!).

Fast pans are painful to watch, so unless you know you can cover
every one up with something else (still CG if no shots are available),
it is best not to do them at all. Slow pans are watchable, but can't
keep up with the action.

What to do?

Well, the fast pan method with a still/CG identifying the speaker or
writing out the question covering it can work. You don't get the
guest speaker's face right off, but at least you don't see the ugly
pan.

Slow panning across the audience with few breaks back to the main
speaker also can work. Titling onscreen to spell out questions and
the situation can fill in for the lack of face time for the main
speaker.

Neither of these is a perfect solution. The first requires more
editing, due to the need to make up visuals to cover each cut.

Redoing the guest speaker questions after the program can work, if
you can get them and they can repeat their question nicely. Doing
added video/dialog requires the right sort of presentation/program and
participants, but it is worth keeping in mind.

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

DanR wrote:
> Brian wrote:

>>> Keep in mind that the conversation content is being edited. i.e.: sentences
>>> are being removed. So firstly editing has to cover "jump cuts" with "cut
>>> aways". As you edit the person being interviewed you might show the
>>> interviewer nodding to cover the jump cut. This type of editing can be done
>>> with only one camera as the shots of the interviewer are done afterwards.
>>> (cheating ?) Sometimes the interviewer questions are shot afterwards and
>>> re-inserted back into the interview. (more cheating ?)
>>> If you have the luxury of 2 or more cameras the editing process is much more
>>> fluid. You can cut back and forth between the 2 people at will to make the
>>> interview more visually interesting. Often split audio video edits are done
>>> where you visually cut to the person about to speak a bit early or late.
>>> This can make the conversation feel more "real time" when you are actually
>>> editing out material.
>>> The wide shot or over the shoulder shot is often used to hide a jump cut.
>>> Usually the editor has nothing else to cut to and if you look carefully
>>> you'll see the jump cut. Sometimes it's just another shot for variety
>>> The "ask the questions later" (one camera) type mentioned above can be
>>> exploited to form the question already knowing what the answer is.
>>> The camera person, knowing the interview will be edited later, will get a
>>>
>>> variety of shots... constantly zooming in and out when questions are being
>>> asked. Tight head shots, not so tight head shots, head and shoulder shots
>>> etc. This is usually done when the final edited program will only have the
>>> interviewee on camera with no questions.
>>
>> Thanks Roger and DanR for the information.
>> I remember one of the worst times when video recording with a single
>> camera is when people from the audience were asking a guest speaker
>> questions. I did not know who is the audience was about to speak then
>> after recording the question I had to quickly pan the camera to the
>> guest speaker, who had already started answering the question.
>> I could have kept the camera on the guest speaker but then people
>> viewing the video would want to know who is answering the question.
>> I could have kept the camera on the audience but I'd lose the
>> expression on the guest speakers face when answering a difficult
>> question.
>> I was standing against the side wall near the front of the audience.
>>
>> Out of interest how would you record this type of situation?
>>
>> Regards Brian
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
> Most likely I would have stayed on the guest speaker. Sloppy swish pans don't
> look good in a situation like this. But there are exceptions and maybe you did
> the right thing.

It now occurs to me that you could have shot some audience wide shots to cut to
while panning back and forth. Of course you can't re-use the same shot too
often. Also you could have gotten a medium wide shot of the speaker standing
there to cover some cuts. But Jeffery's idea of CG works too. Maybe a
combination of these things.
When you find yourself in a situation like this you have to start thinking THEN
about the edit. Live and learn.