adjusting screen gamma - how do YOU do it?

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

I want to change my screen gamma to mimic NTSC's standard 2.2.

I have XP, Adobe Gamma & an nVideo utility that let me futz with screen
gamma.

What do YOU do regarding gamma? (aside from hooking up an Ikegami TM10 to
your production workstation ;)

C.

p.s. if you'd like to comment on Apple's DV CODEC gamma correction, have at
'er. (I'm on XP but I'm curious)
5 answers Last reply
More about adjusting screen gamma
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

    "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
    >I want to change my screen gamma to mimic NTSC's standard 2.2.
    >
    > I have XP, Adobe Gamma & an nVideo utility that let me futz with screen
    > gamma.
    >
    > What do YOU do regarding gamma? (aside from hooking up an Ikegami TM10 to
    > your production workstation ;)
    >
    > C.
    >
    > p.s. if you'd like to comment on Apple's DV CODEC gamma correction, have
    > at 'er. (I'm on XP but I'm curious)

    I have no money so I go here every 6 mos. or so.

    http://pages.prodigy.net/ecmorris/tips/monitor.htm

    If this guy ever shuts down I'll just cry. I better rip this and put it on
    a drive here at the house before something bad happens.

    Tom P.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

    "Henry Padilla" wrote ...
    > I have no money so I go here every 6 mos. or so.
    >
    > http://pages.prodigy.net/ecmorris/tips/monitor.htm

    That appears to be a convienent way of spot checking
    your computer monitor, but it looks like it only supports
    checking the nominal 1.0 gamma common to computer
    displays.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

    There are tons of pages on the WWW regarding this. Do a google search of
    gamma monitor setup
    This link for a free "limited demo" utility.
    and some more info.
    http://pages.prodigy.net/ecmorris/tips/monitor.htm
    http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html
    http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm
    and more is out there.

    C.J.Patten wrote:
    > I want to change my screen gamma to mimic NTSC's standard 2.2.
    >
    > I have XP, Adobe Gamma & an nVideo utility that let me futz with screen
    > gamma.
    >
    > What do YOU do regarding gamma? (aside from hooking up an Ikegami TM10 to
    > your production workstation ;)
    >
    > C.
    >
    > p.s. if you'd like to comment on Apple's DV CODEC gamma correction, have at
    > 'er. (I'm on XP but I'm curious)
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

    Internet Explorer "Save Page as"? Use the "web archive" .mht file and you've
    got everything - images and all - in a single file.

    In the case of that page, it's a whopping 55 kilobytes.

    :)

    C.

    "Larry J." <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in message
    > Waiving the right to remain silent, "Henry Padilla"
    > <padillah@hotmail.com> said:
    >
    >> I have no money so I go here every 6 mos. or so.
    >>
    >> http://pages.prodigy.net/ecmorris/tips/monitor.htm
    >>
    >> If this guy ever shuts down I'll just cry. I better rip this
    >> and put it on a drive here at the house before something bad
    >> happens.
    >
    > Just get a website copier like 'HTTrack Website Copier'
    >
    > --
    > Larry Jandro - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail
    >
    > Are you a Sound/Video/Lighting/Staging Freelancer..?
    > If so, think about joining our mail list.
    > Send an e-mail to: avfreelancers-subscribe@topica.com
    > (Requests from Yahoo & Hotmail will be rejected.)
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

    > Using Premiere Pro FYI. I guess that means I'm using the Microsoft DV
    > CODEC.
    >
    > I've heard about Mainconcept. I wonder if I'm really going to benefit from
    > using their CODEC.
    >
    > I understand it only matters if I'm de/re-compressing anything. (adding a
    > title, transition) Straight cuts shouldn't matter at all.
    >
    > C.

    That's right! You have the Adobe stuff anyway, use the gamma corrector that
    comes with Photoshop. It's great, you can set it for what gamma you are
    shooting for (1.8, 2.2. 1.0...) and it'll walk you through either a complete
    (R gamma, G gamma, B gamma) or just a contrast/brightness adjustment.

    Then it'll save your monitor configuration and run it every time you start
    windows.

    Tom P.

Tuner Cards Video Gamma Windows XP Graphics