Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

What is the best MPEG-2 recorder that does not have Macrovision or that
can have Macrovision disabled.

I recently tried using the Sony VRD-VC10 and it has Macrovision.

"Dave" <dave@tcon.net> wrote in message
> What is the best MPEG-2 recorder that does not have Macrovision or that
> can have Macrovision disabled.
>
> I recently tried using the Sony VRD-VC10 and it has Macrovision.

Computer based: Hauppauge series, ADS series.

No consumer DVD recorder records with Macrovision that I know of. They all
of course respond to Macrovision encoded DVD's when playing back on the
recorder. A lot of standard DVD players have hacks to disable the
Macrovision so you can record to VCR or another DVD recorder or DV camera,
but these work with varying degrees of success. Older or non recording
(broken) RCA VCR's (10-15 years ago, I don't know of any new VCR's) would
not see Macrovision and could be used as pass through devices to disable
Macrovision so you could record to another VCR.
UB

"Dave" <dave@tcon.net> wrote in message
> What is the best MPEG-2 recorder that does not have Macrovision or that
> can have Macrovision disabled.
>
> I recently tried using the Sony VRD-VC10 and it has Macrovision.

"Dave" <dave@tcon.net> wrote in message
> What is the best MPEG-2 recorder that does not have Macrovision or that
> can have Macrovision disabled.
>
> I recently tried using the Sony VRD-VC10 and it has Macrovision.

I don't know about "the best" but www.geeks.com had my
RCA DRC 8000N Refurbished for $120. It has a built-in
TBC and uses the Philips SAA 7118H A/D chip (which does
recognize Macrovision).

I also spent $100 for the Sima "GoDVD", so far I haven't
needed it. I've made DVD+RW of several VHS tapes that
should have had macrovision and they came out great. So
far I've wasted my $100 spent on the "GoDVD".

Luck;
Ken

"Dave" <dave@tcon.net> wrote ...
> What is the best MPEG-2 recorder that does not have
> Macrovision or that can have Macrovision disabled.
>
> I recently tried using the Sony VRD-VC10 and it has
> Macrovision.

By "has Macrovision" we must assume that you mean that
the VRD-VC10 is detecting your input signal with Macrovision
and is refusing to record it? By "recorder" do you mean
hardware or software? More precise language will help
get faster and better answers.

See entire list of DVD Recorders at www.videohelp.com

Anything w/o will have such feature noted under each particular
recorder's entry in the user comments.

eg. iLo recorders at walmart starting at $139.