Firewire problem, Sony trv510/HP laptop w/1394 port

Hello

Using a Sony TRV510 video camera with DV output to the HP ZV5450
laptop 1394 firewire port. The laptop does not recognize the device.
Tried to reset camera several times (on/off) in VCR mode, in play mode
and still no luck. Tried using 2 or 3 different software capture
programs and nothing recognizes the camera. Tried unpluggin and
pluggin the firewire...nothing. The computer just does not see this
device as being connected. Firewire cable is new. The 1394 hardware
card is listed, the hardware device area in windows sees no conflicts,
the drivers for the 1394 card see no problems. For some strange
reason Microsoft has the 1394 connection shown in the network
connections area of windows XP.

Any help is highly appreciated, thank you

Mike

You just solved your own problem.

Disable and/or delete the IEEE-1394 network. (you can always create it
later)

I had this problem the day I bought my HP "zd" series notebook and that was
the solution. (TRV-320, zd7260 FYI)

C.

"Mike R" <mike.riccucci@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Using a Sony TRV510 video camera with DV output to the HP ZV5450
> laptop 1394 firewire port. The laptop does not recognize the device.
> Tried to reset camera several times (on/off) in VCR mode, in play mode
> and still no luck. Tried using 2 or 3 different software capture
> programs and nothing recognizes the camera. Tried unpluggin and
> pluggin the firewire...nothing. The computer just does not see this
> device as being connected. Firewire cable is new. The 1394 hardware
> card is listed, the hardware device area in windows sees no conflicts,
> the drivers for the 1394 card see no problems. For some strange
> reason Microsoft has the 1394 connection shown in the network
> connections area of windows XP.
>
> Any help is highly appreciated, thank you
>
> Mike

Tried to disable the 1394 in the network section, also deleted the
network and re-booted, I still cannot get the laptop to read the
camera.

"C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message news:<k6OdnXUmt_R-jc3fRVn-vQ@rogers.com>...
> You just solved your own problem.
>
> Disable and/or delete the IEEE-1394 network. (you can always create it
> later)
>
> I had this problem the day I bought my HP "zd" series notebook and that was
> the solution. (TRV-320, zd7260 FYI)
>
> C.
>

> "Mike R" <mike.riccucci@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > Using a Sony TRV510 video camera with DV output to the HP ZV5450
> > laptop 1394 firewire port. The laptop does not recognize the device.
> > Tried to reset camera several times (on/off) in VCR mode, in play mode
> > and still no luck. Tried using 2 or 3 different software capture
> > programs and nothing recognizes the camera. Tried unpluggin and
> > pluggin the firewire...nothing. The computer just does not see this
> > device as being connected. Firewire cable is new. The 1394 hardware
> > card is listed, the hardware device area in windows sees no conflicts,
> > the drivers for the 1394 card see no problems. For some strange
> > reason Microsoft has the 1394 connection shown in the network
> > connections area of windows XP.
> >
> > Any help is highly appreciated, thank you
> >
> > Mike

Every time I try to delete the 1394 from the network, it comes back on
the reboot, event tried to delete the drivers, no luck. Cable seems
good, the DV IN in pasted on the screen of the Handicam (trv510) every
time I plug and unplug the cable from one end, either the laptop or
the cam, I going nuts!!!!<!<!

You did say this exact set up worked on other computers.

EXACTLY the SAME firewire cable and camera? Visit your local BestBuy and
give it a shop. Bring your camera and cable and plug in to the same model
notebook.

OK - how about this: go to the Device Manager.
First, expand the "Network adaptors" item. Click on the 1394 Net Adaptor and
click disable.

With the camera on and wired to the computer select "Scan for Hardware
Changes" in the Device Manager.

Also: run Windows Update. As I recall, this has corrected a few things on my
Pavilion notebook. (conflicts)

HP includes a software update utility that works surprisingly well too. It
found a few things I didn't think of - obscure drivers, BIOS updates etc.
Give it a shot.

Good luck and let us know!

> Tried to disable the 1394 in the network section, also deleted the
> network and re-booted, I still cannot get the laptop to read the
> camera.

Hrm.

Does WinXP "ba-boing!" at all when you plug the device in?

The IEEE-1394 MUST be disabled - in the Device Manager, it MUST have a RED X
over it or it's active and capable of interfering with the camera.

If uninstalling the IEEE network driver doesn't work, click disable instead.

Did you run the Windows and HP updates?

Running Microsoft Antispyware and checked for viruses? I saw at least one
system have it's firewire crippled by spyware.

> "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
>> You just solved your own problem.
>>
>> Disable and/or delete the IEEE-1394 network. (you can always create it
>> later)
>>
>> I had this problem the day I bought my HP "zd" series notebook and that
>> was
>> the solution. (TRV-320, zd7260 FYI)
>>
>> C.
>>

>> "Mike R" <mike.riccucci@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > Using a Sony TRV510 video camera with DV output to the HP ZV5450
>> > laptop 1394 firewire port. The laptop does not recognize the device.
>> > Tried to reset camera several times (on/off) in VCR mode, in play mode
>> > and still no luck. Tried using 2 or 3 different software capture
>> > programs and nothing recognizes the camera. Tried unpluggin and
>> > pluggin the firewire...nothing. The computer just does not see this
>> > device as being connected. Firewire cable is new. The 1394 hardware
>> > card is listed, the hardware device area in windows sees no conflicts,
>> > the drivers for the 1394 card see no problems. For some strange
>> > reason Microsoft has the 1394 connection shown in the network
>> > connections area of windows XP.
>> >
>> > Any help is highly appreciated, thank you
>> >
>> > Mike
>
> Every time I try to delete the 1394 from the network, it comes back on
> the reboot, event tried to delete the drivers, no luck. Cable seems
> good, the DV IN in pasted on the screen of the Handicam (trv510) every
> time I plug and unplug the cable from one end, either the laptop or
> the cam, I going nuts!!!!<!<!

Hrm.

Does WinXP "ba-boing!" at all when you plug the device in?

The IEEE-1394 MUST be disabled - in the Device Manager, it MUST have a RED X
over it or it's active and capable of interfering with the camera.

If uninstalling the IEEE network driver doesn't work, click disable instead.
RED X OR BUST!

"C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message news:<5fadnZoizMpQ9M3fRVn-uw@rogers.com>...
> You did say this exact set up worked on other computers.
>
> EXACTLY the SAME firewire cable and camera? Visit your local BestBuy and
> give it a shop. Bring your camera and cable and plug in to the same model
> notebook.
>
> OK - how about this: go to the Device Manager.
> First, expand the "Network adaptors" item. Click on the 1394 Net Adaptor and
> click disable.
>
> With the camera on and wired to the computer select "Scan for Hardware
> Changes" in the Device Manager.
>
> Also: run Windows Update. As I recall, this has corrected a few things on my
> Pavilion notebook. (conflicts)
>
> HP includes a software update utility that works surprisingly well too. It
> found a few things I didn't think of - obscure drivers, BIOS updates etc.
> Give it a shot.
>
> Good luck and let us know!
>
> C.
>

> "Mike R" <mike.riccucci@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Tried to disable the 1394 in the network section, also deleted the
> > network and re-booted, I still cannot get the laptop to read the
> > camera.

Thanks, tried all of the above and did still no luck. Also tried the
following with no success

Deleted and re-installed driver for the 1394
Ran windows update
updated all drivers
removed all spyware and OR viruses
removed Norton anti virus
removed windows firewall
disabled and enabled the 1394 network adapter
tried several video capture programs

There is no indication whatsoever when I plug the firewire in the
laptop, however at the camera end, I get the "DV IN" message on the
camera screen when connected to the laptop.

Mike,

I'm cruising the net today doing some research. I'll see what I can come up
with.

In the meantime, you might consider bringing your laptop to Bestbuy (or
Walmart for that matter - they've got cameras and wires) and connecting it
there.

Don't give up! Either it's a software problem and fixable at home, today -
or a hardware problem and you have to get on HP's case about that. (I had a
bummed DVD drive in my notebook and Futureshop/Bestbuy swapped it out the
week after I bought it with one from the store shelf...)

> "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
>> You did say this exact set up worked on other computers.
>>
>> EXACTLY the SAME firewire cable and camera? Visit your local BestBuy and
>> give it a shop. Bring your camera and cable and plug in to the same model
>> notebook.
>>
>> OK - how about this: go to the Device Manager.
>> First, expand the "Network adaptors" item. Click on the 1394 Net Adaptor
>> and
>> click disable.
>>
>> With the camera on and wired to the computer select "Scan for Hardware
>> Changes" in the Device Manager.
>>
>> Also: run Windows Update. As I recall, this has corrected a few things on
>> my
>> Pavilion notebook. (conflicts)
>>
>> HP includes a software update utility that works surprisingly well too.
>> It
>> found a few things I didn't think of - obscure drivers, BIOS updates etc.
>> Give it a shot.
>>
>> Good luck and let us know!
>>
>> C.
>>

>> "Mike R" <mike.riccucci@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> > Tried to disable the 1394 in the network section, also deleted the
>> > network and re-booted, I still cannot get the laptop to read the
>> > camera.
>

> Thanks, tried all of the above and did still no luck. Also tried the
> following with no success
>
> Deleted and re-installed driver for the 1394
> Ran windows update
> updated all drivers
> removed all spyware and OR viruses
> removed Norton anti virus
> removed windows firewall
> disabled and enabled the 1394 network adapter
> tried several video capture programs
>

> There is no indication whatsoever when I plug the firewire in the
> laptop, however at the camera end, I get the "DV IN" message on the
> camera screen when connected to the laptop.

One last note: make use of HP's online, interactive support system. You'll
actually be connected to a live person who'll walk through your system
problems.

I would still suggest going to Bestbuy first and trying some troubleshooting
with other cameras and systems - you'll be able to track down a hardware
problem PDQ that way.

C.

"Mike R" <mike.riccucci@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Using a Sony TRV510 video camera with DV output to the HP ZV5450
> laptop 1394 firewire port. The laptop does not recognize the device.
> Tried to reset camera several times (on/off) in VCR mode, in play mode
> and still no luck. Tried using 2 or 3 different software capture
> programs and nothing recognizes the camera. Tried unpluggin and
> pluggin the firewire...nothing. The computer just does not see this
> device as being connected. Firewire cable is new. The 1394 hardware
> card is listed, the hardware device area in windows sees no conflicts,
> the drivers for the 1394 card see no problems. For some strange
> reason Microsoft has the 1394 connection shown in the network
> connections area of windows XP.
>
> Any help is highly appreciated, thank you
>
> Mike

http://tinyurl.com/6keof

HP's support site for the zv5450 - download some manuals while you're at
it...

More if I find it.