Windows XP Pro RDC executable name? For use w/ MSProxy 2.0

Hello All,

I am trying to use Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0's 'reverse proxy' feature
to allow access to Remote Desktop on an XP Pro machine behind the proxy
server.

To get this to work, I need to know the name of the executable on the
XP Pro machine that actually binds to port 3389. Once I know this, I
can create a wspcfg.ini file allowing the Winsock Proxy Client to bind
to port 3389 on the proxy server, enabling remote logins.

As an example, the following wspcfg.ini file allows NetMeetings
conf.exe to bind to the ports it needs:

[conf]
ServerBindTcpPorts=1503,1720,1731
UseProxyIpForGetHostByName=2
KillOldSession=1

This file is placed in the NetMeeting program directory, alonside
conf.exe.

To create a similar file for Remote Desktop, what is the executable
that actually binds to port 3389?

Thanks in advance,

- Adrian
3 answers Last reply
More about windows executable name msproxy

    Hi Al,

    Thank you for your quick reply.

    mstsc.exe appears to be the Remote Desktop Client. I'm trying to get
    the name of the Remote Desktop server executable, so the Winsock Proxy
    Client can map the port it listens on to the external interface of the
    proxy server. (It's a little backwards, but this should allow the
    'client' machine to accept connections to its RD server, via the proxy
    server.)

    The properties for the Terminal Services service list "svchost -k
    DComLaunch" as the executable. Is this the service that actually
    listens on port 3389?

    If so, do you know if there is any way to control when this service
    starts? The usual Start and Stop buttons on the service's property
    page are disabled. I ask because multiple services are launched using
    svchost.exe. If I use wspcfg.ini to allow svchost.exe to accept
    connections forwarded from port 3389 on the proxy server, there is no
    way to control which instance of svchost.exe is bound. Stopping and
    restarting the apropriate Terminal Services service would force it to
    bind since it was started most recently.

    I know this may be hard to follow, but in essence all I'm asking is for
    the name of the process that actually listens on port 3389 for incoming
    connections from Remote Desktop clients.

    Thanks!

    - Adrian

    mstsc.exe

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    <sheepiemang@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am trying to use Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0's 'reverse proxy' feature
    > to allow access to Remote Desktop on an XP Pro machine behind the proxy
    > server.
    >
    > To get this to work, I need to know the name of the executable on the
    > XP Pro machine that actually binds to port 3389. Once I know this, I
    > can create a wspcfg.ini file allowing the Winsock Proxy Client to bind
    > to port 3389 on the proxy server, enabling remote logins.
    >
    > As an example, the following wspcfg.ini file allows NetMeetings
    > conf.exe to bind to the ports it needs:
    >
    > [conf]
    > ServerBindTcpPorts=1503,1720,1731
    > UseProxyIpForGetHostByName=2
    > KillOldSession=1
    >
    > This file is placed in the NetMeeting program directory, alonside
    > conf.exe.
    >
    > To create a similar file for Remote Desktop, what is the executable
    > that actually binds to port 3389?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > - Adrian

    Ok...Gottcha...

    Now, this a pretty far outside of what I know but if you look at "Help and Support" and do a search
    on the string 'svchost' you get pointed to this KB article...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056

    Running the "tasklist /svc" command gives me a list of processes running, a couple of which are
    svchost and one of which, on my XP Pro machine, is...

    svchost.exe 768 DcomLaunch, TermService

    ....where 768 is the PID...

    There is a termsrv.dll in the "c:\windows\system32" folder which I presume is called by svchost.

    I don't know if that will help or just confuse the issue...

    Sorry I can't be of more help...

    --

    > Hi Al,
    >
    > Thank you for your quick reply.
    >
    > mstsc.exe appears to be the Remote Desktop Client. I'm trying to get
    > the name of the Remote Desktop server executable, so the Winsock Proxy
    > Client can map the port it listens on to the external interface of the
    > proxy server. (It's a little backwards, but this should allow the
    > 'client' machine to accept connections to its RD server, via the proxy
    > server.)
    >
    > The properties for the Terminal Services service list "svchost -k
    > DComLaunch" as the executable. Is this the service that actually
    > listens on port 3389?
    >
    > If so, do you know if there is any way to control when this service
    > starts? The usual Start and Stop buttons on the service's property
    > page are disabled. I ask because multiple services are launched using
    > svchost.exe. If I use wspcfg.ini to allow svchost.exe to accept
    > connections forwarded from port 3389 on the proxy server, there is no
    > way to control which instance of svchost.exe is bound. Stopping and
    > restarting the apropriate Terminal Services service would force it to
    > bind since it was started most recently.
    >
    > I know this may be hard to follow, but in essence all I'm asking is for
    > the name of the process that actually listens on port 3389 for incoming
    > connections from Remote Desktop clients.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > - Adrian

Remote Desktop Proxy Windows XP Microsoft Servers