slow downloads PLEASE HELP

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

i am having very much trouble with my computer. i have windows xp with sp2,
cable internet, and a fairly new dell. my computer is connecting to the
internet through a netgear router that is upstairs, and i have linksys
wireless-b pci card. its showing me with 11.0 Mbps, but whenever i'm on the
internet i'm getting 9kbps. it have firewalls, virus scans, spyware
removers, and stinger, and i run them frequently, but nothing helps. i often
call comcast, looking for help, but they are useless. please help me, this
problem has been going on forever. i really need a fast connection because a
new mmorpg is releasing soon and i am going to die if my computer won't play
it

"dan" wrote:

> i am having very much trouble with my computer. i have windows xp with sp2,
> cable internet, and a fairly new dell. my computer is connecting to the
> internet through a netgear router that is upstairs, and i have linksys
> wireless-b pci card. its showing me with 11.0 Mbps, but whenever i'm on the
> internet i'm getting 9kbps. it have firewalls, virus scans, spyware
> removers, and stinger, and i run them frequently, but nothing helps. i often
> call comcast, looking for help, but they are useless. please help me, this
> problem has been going on forever. i really need a fast connection because a
> new mmorpg is releasing soon and i am going to die if my computer won't play
> it

Dan,
1. Is there a computer (other than yours) hooked to the network?
1a. If so, is this computer connected wired or wireless?
1b. If wireless, is it using the connection too? (wireless bandwidth is
shared, if another computer is using all the bandwidth it won't leave much
for your machine.)
2. Is there a computer hooked to the network via wire?
2a. If so, is that computer getting good throughput to and from the internet?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Nill" wrote:

> "dan" wrote:
>
> > i am having very much trouble with my computer. i have windows xp with sp2,
> > cable internet, and a fairly new dell. my computer is connecting to the
> > internet through a netgear router that is upstairs, and i have linksys
> > wireless-b pci card. its showing me with 11.0 Mbps, but whenever i'm on the
> > internet i'm getting 9kbps. it have firewalls, virus scans, spyware
> > removers, and stinger, and i run them frequently, but nothing helps. i often
> > call comcast, looking for help, but they are useless. please help me, this
> > problem has been going on forever. i really need a fast connection because a
> > new mmorpg is releasing soon and i am going to die if my computer won't play
> > it
>
> Dan,
> 1. Is there a computer (other than yours) hooked to the network?
> 1a. If so, is this computer connected wired or wireless?
> 1b. If wireless, is it using the connection too? (wireless bandwidth is
> shared, if another computer is using all the bandwidth it won't leave much
> for your machine.)
> 2. Is there a computer hooked to the network via wire?
> 2a. If so, is that computer getting good throughput to and from the internet?

Nill-
there is another computer hooked up to the network. it is the computer that
is wired. it gets pretty good throughput, but its a windows 98 and its kind
of old.
-thanks