Dual Core CPU/ HT CPU/ HDV 1080i

jeff

Hi,

I'm still a little confused.

I have a 3.2 GHZ HT box which in device manager lists the CPU twice.

I guess listing it twice doesn't make it a "dual processor"..right? But I
guess all HT cpus are listed twice?

I know Intel is coming out with a new Extreme edition P4 processor, dual
core and Hypertreading, hope that will cut it for 1080i hdv editing.

Hate to spend a fortune on a dual socket Board if this newer chip will do
it.

Jeff

Your assumption is correct. I noted the two processors in the device manager
on my first P4HT workstation and all since. It's normal. We don't have two
chips - we've got one with multiple personaility disorder. ;)

"Extreme Edition" HyperThreading, as I understand it, changes nothing but
adding a larger on chip cache - 2MB versus 1MB standard.

I can't comment on "dual cores" but here's an article:

C.

"jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message news:SkY3e.15960$a36.7506@fe10.lga...
> Hi,
>
> I'm still a little confused.
>
> I have a 3.2 GHZ HT box which in device manager lists the CPU twice.
>
> I guess listing it twice doesn't make it a "dual processor"..right? But I
> guess all HT cpus are listed twice?
>
> I know Intel is coming out with a new Extreme edition P4 processor, dual
> core and Hypertreading, hope that will cut it for 1080i hdv editing.
>
> Hate to spend a fortune on a dual socket Board if this newer chip will do
> it.
>
> Jeff

"jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message news:SkY3e.15960$a36.7506@fe10.lga...
> Hi,
>
> I'm still a little confused.
>
> I have a 3.2 GHZ HT box which in device manager lists the CPU twice.
>
> I guess listing it twice doesn't make it a "dual processor"..right? But I
> guess all HT cpus are listed twice?
>
> I know Intel is coming out with a new Extreme edition P4 processor, dual
> core and Hypertreading, hope that will cut it for 1080i hdv editing.
>
> Hate to spend a fortune on a dual socket Board if this newer chip will do
> it.

We found that the graphic card is the biggest helper.
In our test a single P4 2.4 ghz (with a x800) was faster then a dual 3.4ghz
Xeon system, by allot.
This is only true for next gen video app/engine.

But GPU accelerated video tools should start to show up at NAB 2005 (next
week)

We plan to show a product where we do complex compositing of multiple
layers,
color correction on each layer, advanced 4:4:4:4 128bit vector keying (with
pre/post color correction),
alpha channel processing, garbage matte, softedge cropping , pan/zoom and
defocusing , all at once in realtime with HD clips, using 50% of a 2.4ghz
processor.

But HDV mpeg2 is not seeking friendly. Transcoding help editing performance
greatly.
For our demo we use 1440x1080i uncompress 4:2:0 , ~250gig for 1 hour of
footage.
(Still HD are very cheap, that working lossless with minimal CPU overhead is
worth it)

I think the future is very bright for HDV,

Stephan

> Jeff

The future's bright.

It's the "now" that isn't so rosey. <tongue firmly in cheek ;>

C.

p.s. if I had the money, you can bet my tune would change and I'd be right
on that early-adopter bandwagon.

"Stephan Schaem" <sschaem@sbcglobal.net.com> wrote in message

> I think the future is very bright for HDV,
>
> Stephan

jeff

"But HDV mpeg2 is not seeking friendly. Transcoding help editing performance
greatly.
For our demo we use 1440x1080i uncompress 4:2:0 , ~250gig for 1 hour of
footage.
(Still HD are very cheap, that working lossless with minimal CPU overhead is
worth it)"

I do not know what you meant by seeking friendly.

I guess my main question is will using a x8oo graphics card with a 3.2 or
3.4 GHZ processor allow me to edit HDV (1080i) in Premiere pro?

Jeff