Dual Core CPU/ HT CPU/ HDV 1080i

Hi,

I'm still a little confused.

I have a 3.2 GHZ HT box which in device manager lists the CPU twice.

I guess listing it twice doesn't make it a "dual processor"..right? But I
guess all HT cpus are listed twice?

I know Intel is coming out with a new Extreme edition P4 processor, dual
core and Hypertreading, hope that will cut it for 1080i hdv editing.

Hate to spend a fortune on a dual socket Board if this newer chip will do
it.

Jeff
4 answers Last reply
More about dual core 1080i

    Your assumption is correct. I noted the two processors in the device manager
    on my first P4HT workstation and all since. It's normal. We don't have two
    chips - we've got one with multiple personaility disorder. ;)

    "Extreme Edition" HyperThreading, as I understand it, changes nothing but
    adding a larger on chip cache - 2MB versus 1MB standard.

    I can't comment on "dual cores" but here's an article:

    C.

    "jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message news:SkY3e.15960$a36.7506@fe10.lga...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm still a little confused.
    >
    > I have a 3.2 GHZ HT box which in device manager lists the CPU twice.
    >
    > I guess listing it twice doesn't make it a "dual processor"..right? But I
    > guess all HT cpus are listed twice?
    >
    > I know Intel is coming out with a new Extreme edition P4 processor, dual
    > core and Hypertreading, hope that will cut it for 1080i hdv editing.
    >
    > Hate to spend a fortune on a dual socket Board if this newer chip will do
    > it.
    >
    > Jeff

    "jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message news:SkY3e.15960$a36.7506@fe10.lga...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm still a little confused.
    >
    > I have a 3.2 GHZ HT box which in device manager lists the CPU twice.
    >
    > I guess listing it twice doesn't make it a "dual processor"..right? But I
    > guess all HT cpus are listed twice?
    >
    > I know Intel is coming out with a new Extreme edition P4 processor, dual
    > core and Hypertreading, hope that will cut it for 1080i hdv editing.
    >
    > Hate to spend a fortune on a dual socket Board if this newer chip will do
    > it.

    We found that the graphic card is the biggest helper.
    In our test a single P4 2.4 ghz (with a x800) was faster then a dual 3.4ghz
    Xeon system, by allot.
    This is only true for next gen video app/engine.

    But GPU accelerated video tools should start to show up at NAB 2005 (next
    week)

    We plan to show a product where we do complex compositing of multiple
    layers,
    color correction on each layer, advanced 4:4:4:4 128bit vector keying (with
    pre/post color correction),
    alpha channel processing, garbage matte, softedge cropping , pan/zoom and
    defocusing , all at once in realtime with HD clips, using 50% of a 2.4ghz
    processor.

    But HDV mpeg2 is not seeking friendly. Transcoding help editing performance
    greatly.
    For our demo we use 1440x1080i uncompress 4:2:0 , ~250gig for 1 hour of
    footage.
    (Still HD are very cheap, that working lossless with minimal CPU overhead is
    worth it)

    I think the future is very bright for HDV,

    Stephan

    > Jeff

    The future's bright.

    It's the "now" that isn't so rosey. <tongue firmly in cheek ;>

    C.

    p.s. if I had the money, you can bet my tune would change and I'd be right
    on that early-adopter bandwagon.

    "Stephan Schaem" <sschaem@sbcglobal.net.com> wrote in message

    > I think the future is very bright for HDV,
    >
    > Stephan

    "But HDV mpeg2 is not seeking friendly. Transcoding help editing performance
    greatly.
    For our demo we use 1440x1080i uncompress 4:2:0 , ~250gig for 1 hour of
    footage.
    (Still HD are very cheap, that working lossless with minimal CPU overhead is
    worth it)"

    I do not know what you meant by seeking friendly.

    I guess my main question is will using a x8oo graphics card with a 3.2 or
    3.4 GHZ processor allow me to edit HDV (1080i) in Premiere pro?

    Jeff

Tuner Cards CPUs Dual Core Graphics