Closed

Install Remote Desktop Host on XP Home system possible?

Hi. I would like to use Remote Desktop with my XP Home system as the host.
Can I use my XP Pro install CD to just install the Remote Desktop Host
software onto an XP Home installed system?

I understand XP Home does not include host functionality out of the box for
remote desktop, nor does Microsoft make it available for download
unfortunately. I cannot justify the cost of upgrading my home machine to XP
Pro just for this one feature. I know I could use VNC, etc. and get around
this issue that way but I would rather use Microsoft's own Remote Desktop
software if I can.

So in a nutshell, my question is, given that I own XP Pro on another PC of
mine, can I use that Pro CD to install the Remote Desktop Host software onto
an XP Home system I own? And if I can actually install it, will it run on an
XP Home install of Windows or will it refuse to execute since it is not
installed on XP Pro (again, assuming I can actually install it all).

Any info about this would be most appreciated. Thanks. :-)
2 answers Last reply
More about install remote desktop host home system possible

    No, your only choice is to upgrade to XP Pro or use a third-party application like VNC, PCAnywhere,
    etc...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Michael" wrote:

    > Hi. I would like to use Remote Desktop with my XP Home system as the host.
    > Can I use my XP Pro install CD to just install the Remote Desktop Host
    > software onto an XP Home installed system?
    >
    > I understand XP Home does not include host functionality out of the box for
    > remote desktop, nor does Microsoft make it available for download
    > unfortunately. I cannot justify the cost of upgrading my home machine to XP
    > Pro just for this one feature. I know I could use VNC, etc. and get around
    > this issue that way but I would rather use Microsoft's own Remote Desktop
    > software if I can.
    >
    > So in a nutshell, my question is, given that I own XP Pro on another PC of
    > mine, can I use that Pro CD to install the Remote Desktop Host software onto
    > an XP Home system I own? And if I can actually install it, will it run on an
    > XP Home install of Windows or will it refuse to execute since it is not
    > installed on XP Pro (again, assuming I can actually install it all).
    >
    > Any info about this would be most appreciated. Thanks. :-)

    TightVNC (free) works well, and with the latest Dev version it will also
    give you file transfer capability.
    http://www.tightvnc.com/
    Just make sure to open 5800 and 5900 ports in your firewall. There is a
    Tightviewer that doesn't require installation at the local machine allowing
    you to use an USB key or floppy disk to run the viewer on any connected
    machine. TightVNC also has a built in webserver that you can set up allowing
    you to access your machine from any browser. Also using No-ip.com services
    (free) you can create a domain pointing to your ISP provided dynamic IP
    allowing you to access your machine from anywhere. I highly recommend using
    encryption if you want/need access from remote sites. Read the infomation at
    TightVNC's site to learn how to set up encryption and browser functions.
    The combination of TightVNC and No-ip.com services will let you access the
    remote machine via almost any internet connected computer using an URL; i.e.
    yourmachine.no-ip.com.

    Imp

Remote Desktop Microsoft Windows XP