Install Remote Desktop Host on XP Home system possible?

April 12, 2005 6:30:03 AM

Hi. I would like to use Remote Desktop with my XP Home system as the host.
Can I use my XP Pro install CD to just install the Remote Desktop Host
software onto an XP Home installed system?

I understand XP Home does not include host functionality out of the box for
remote desktop, nor does Microsoft make it available for download
unfortunately. I cannot justify the cost of upgrading my home machine to XP
Pro just for this one feature. I know I could use VNC, etc. and get around
this issue that way but I would rather use Microsoft's own Remote Desktop
software if I can.

So in a nutshell, my question is, given that I own XP Pro on another PC of
mine, can I use that Pro CD to install the Remote Desktop Host software onto
an XP Home system I own? And if I can actually install it, will it run on an
XP Home install of Windows or will it refuse to execute since it is not
installed on XP Pro (again, assuming I can actually install it all).

Any info about this would be most appreciated. Thanks. :-)
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:58:02 AM

No, your only choice is to upgrade to XP Pro or use a third-party application like VNC, PCAnywhere,
etc...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I would like to use Remote Desktop with my XP Home system as the host.
> Can I use my XP Pro install CD to just install the Remote Desktop Host
> software onto an XP Home installed system?
>
> I understand XP Home does not include host functionality out of the box for
> remote desktop, nor does Microsoft make it available for download
> unfortunately. I cannot justify the cost of upgrading my home machine to XP
> Pro just for this one feature. I know I could use VNC, etc. and get around
> this issue that way but I would rather use Microsoft's own Remote Desktop
> software if I can.
>
> So in a nutshell, my question is, given that I own XP Pro on another PC of
> mine, can I use that Pro CD to install the Remote Desktop Host software onto
> an XP Home system I own? And if I can actually install it, will it run on an
> XP Home install of Windows or will it refuse to execute since it is not
> installed on XP Pro (again, assuming I can actually install it all).
>
> Any info about this would be most appreciated. Thanks. :-)
April 13, 2005 1:10:06 PM

"Michael" wrote:

> Hi. I would like to use Remote Desktop with my XP Home system as the host.
> Can I use my XP Pro install CD to just install the Remote Desktop Host
> software onto an XP Home installed system?
>
> I understand XP Home does not include host functionality out of the box for
> remote desktop, nor does Microsoft make it available for download
> unfortunately. I cannot justify the cost of upgrading my home machine to XP
> Pro just for this one feature. I know I could use VNC, etc. and get around
> this issue that way but I would rather use Microsoft's own Remote Desktop
> software if I can.
>
> So in a nutshell, my question is, given that I own XP Pro on another PC of
> mine, can I use that Pro CD to install the Remote Desktop Host software onto
> an XP Home system I own? And if I can actually install it, will it run on an
> XP Home install of Windows or will it refuse to execute since it is not
> installed on XP Pro (again, assuming I can actually install it all).
>
> Any info about this would be most appreciated. Thanks. :-)

TightVNC (free) works well, and with the latest Dev version it will also
give you file transfer capability.
http://www.tightvnc.com/
Just make sure to open 5800 and 5900 ports in your firewall. There is a
Tightviewer that doesn't require installation at the local machine allowing
you to use an USB key or floppy disk to run the viewer on any connected
machine. TightVNC also has a built in webserver that you can set up allowing
you to access your machine from any browser. Also using No-ip.com services
(free) you can create a domain pointing to your ISP provided dynamic IP
allowing you to access your machine from anywhere. I highly recommend using
encryption if you want/need access from remote sites. Read the infomation at
TightVNC's site to learn how to set up encryption and browser functions.
The combination of TightVNC and No-ip.com services will let you access the
remote machine via almost any internet connected computer using an URL; i.e.
yourmachine.no-ip.com.

Imp
!